Windows 10: How to find the key after the upgrade for a clean installation later?

Discus and support How to find the key after the upgrade for a clean installation later? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Microsoft said a clean install of Windows 10 can happen. How do you find the key? Do you have to use a key finder after the upgrade or will Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Looey, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Looey Win User

How to find the key after the upgrade for a clean installation later?

Microsoft said a clean install of Windows 10 can happen. How do you find the key? Do you have to use a key finder after the upgrade or will Microsoft make it easily available?

:)

Looey, Jul 28, 2015
  2. neilpzz Win User

how to find the product key for a steam game

Not a Windows 10 problem. You need to ask on the forum for Steam I would have thought.

neilpzz, Jul 28, 2015
  3. how to find the product key for a steam game

i got given a steam account and I'm trying to backup my files for my games and when i went to transfer it to a different account it ask for the product key and I'm no longer in touch with the person that gave me the steam account

Please reply as soon as you can

jacethomas, Jul 28, 2015
  4. d2dyno Win User

How to activate the latest Windows 10 build - Microsoft Community

d2dyno, Jul 28, 2015
  5. Akane Win User
    I copy this from Microsoft forum

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded

Akane, Jul 28, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Looey,

When you upgrade with the free reserved copy from the GWX app on an activated Windows 7 or 8.1 PC, Windows 10 has a generic key included that will activate it.

If you clean install Windows 10 without doing the above first, Windows 10 will not be activated.

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade?

Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

Brink, Jul 28, 2015
  7. greyfox Win User
    Does that mean, that everyone who upgraded to Win 10 has a generic key right now? Im asking because I didnt get a "personal Win 10" key after upgrade, my windows 10 is still running with a generic key.... is that normal?

greyfox, Jul 28, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Greyfox,

You don't get a key with the free Windows 10 upgrade offer. It's just that when you upgrade to the free Windows 10 on an activated Windows 7 or 8.1, Windows 10 will be activated.

You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware.

Brink, Jul 28, 2015
  9. greyfox Win User
    Thank you Brink, that helped alot. So the free upgrade is actually just on "one system" and I dont receive an own key that I could use on different systems right?

greyfox, Jul 28, 2015
  10. bobkn Win User
    If I understand the process: in effect, you have no key. The activation servers recognize your PC from the original upgrade install, and will activate a new clean install on the same hardware without a key. That's different from any previous version of Windows that I have used that required activation (XP Vista, 7, and 8).

I presume that if there's a problem, a phone call to the MS Activation support people will fix it.

bobkn, Jul 28, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Correct. What Bob posted above. *Smile

Brink, Jul 28, 2015
  12. Wrymn Win User
    So if I understand it right, If I do clean install from USB (I downloaded win10 from website since I didnt want to wait for upgrade notification), my key will not work? I have legal windows 7 HP edition, thats from what I have clean installed windows 10 from.

Or do I need to contact support for windows activation?

Wrymn, Jul 28, 2015
  13. bobkn Win User

How clean was the install?

If you launched the upgrade from within Windows 7, I believe that counts as an upgrade, even if you choose to keep nothing from the Windows 7 installation.

If you created a bootable installation medium (DVD, USB thumb drive), started the PC from that, and did a really clean install, I believe that will not activate unless you previously had Windows 10 installed as an update.

My guess as to what MS support would say in the latter case would be to restore Windows 7 and upgrade to 10 in the approved manner. I'm curious as to what their advice would be if told that you hadn't kept any means of doing that. Maybe they'd help if they could be convinced it was an honest error. (In my rare dealings with them in the past, they have been accommodating. I feel that activation exists to prevent large scale casual piracy, not to try to pry a few more dollars out of individuals.)

bobkn, Jul 28, 2015
  14. Wrymn Win User
    Well, I have photo of product key label taken, so its proof error was not on my side and I am eliglible for win10 upgrade.

Well, I used MediaCreationTool to put win10 into USB, booted into bios and made clean install, formating all drives. So I guess it did not have any means to remember I had windows 7.

So, the only way is to again, clean install win7 back, and then do simple upgrade with MediaCreationTool on that clean windows? *Smile lol, if thats the only way, okay but its kinda silly

Wrymn, Jul 28, 2015
  15. So if I'm working on building a new tower now, I need to install 7/8/8.1 first, then upgrade to Windows 10. Once completed, I can then do a clean install on the same computer with Windows 10 from that point on? My wife and I are also looking at two new small 2-in-1 laptops. I'm assuming, if they come with 8.1, that we'll need to repeat the process on those as well?

DeaconFrost, Jul 28, 2015
Thema:

1. How to find the key after the upgrade for a clean installation later? - Similar Threads - find key upgrade

2. Find Activation Key After Hardware Upgrades

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Find Activation Key After Hardware Upgrades: I build my own PCs and I have 4 Windows 10 licenses from upgrading 4 purchased Windows 8.1 licenses. I have one PC that failed to acquire its License last year when I updated its hardware. I just ignored the messages since I only used it occasionally. Now I have replaced the...
  3. Find Activation Key After Hardware Upgrades

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Find Activation Key After Hardware Upgrades: I build my own PCs and I have 4 Windows 10 licenses from upgrading 4 purchased Windows 8.1 licenses. I have one PC that failed to acquire its License last year when I updated its hardware. I just ignored the messages since I only used it occasionally. Now I have replaced the...
  4. Upgrade or clean install

Upgrade or clean install: Hello everyone. What's preferable, an upgrade or a clean install? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-or-clean-install/01e13cd7-40ce-47ce-bd1a-e92de4b77f7c
  5. Clean install after upgrading to W10?

Clean install after upgrading to W10?: It appears that I have to upgrade install w10 to get the free W10. After that, is it possible to clean install the W10 in place of the W10 install upgraded from W7 or W8.1? 9204
  6. Had to clean install after a corrupt upgrade, how do I re-obtain a key

Had to clean install after a corrupt upgrade, how do I re-obtain a key: Hey guys, I have a laptop that was originally on Windows 8.1. I upgraded it to Windows 10 recently, however there were a variety of deeply embedded issues. I tried every troubleshooting method I could find, tried to revert back to 8.1, and tried to repair and reset Windows...
  7. Fps increased when upgraded. Clean installed later, fps back low.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fps increased when upgraded. Clean installed later, fps back low.: Like the title says, i noticed something with my fps when playing games on windows 10 I'm on a laptop dell xps 17 l702x graphics card: GT 555m 3GB i7 2760qm 2,40ghz tb 3,50ghz So i had windows 7 ultimate and i upgraded to windows 10 at first. When the upgrade was...
  8. Clean Install after upgrade

Clean Install after upgrade: I got a legit copy of windows 7 and i did the update to windows 10, but my PC seems slow and it seems like there is a lot of junk and left over files... idk, i want to do a clean install, but i dont want to loose my genuine copy of windows. also, i have about 1tb of games...
  9. find out of Windows 10 was upgraded to clean installed

in Windows 10 Support
    find out of Windows 10 was upgraded to clean installed: Hi, I would like to know if there is any way I can find out if on a computer its Windows 10 was upgraded or came from a clean install. And if I can find this out after the 30-day period in which you can still go back to your previous operating system. 51441
  10. Win 10 Clean Install after Upgrade Install

Win 10 Clean Install after Upgrade Install: I've upgraded from Win 7 Pro x64 to Win 10 Pro x64 via the upgrade install. The system indicates the Win 10 install is activated. Presently, this install is to buggy. I intend to wipe the disk clean and perform a clean install via bootable USD flash drive and the downloaded...