Windows 10: How to fix a nuisance with notepad.exe shortcuts

Discus and support How to fix a nuisance with notepad.exe shortcuts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On every system we have, when it is first set up, I always put a shortcut to CMD, and Notepad.exe and a few others on the desktop. The shortcut i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by questorfla, Nov 9, 2017.

1. How to fix a nuisance with notepad.exe shortcuts

On every system we have, when it is first set up, I always put a shortcut to CMD, and Notepad.exe and a few others on the desktop.
    The shortcut i create to notepad.exe made when using create new shortcut option works fine. BUT any files created with it ALWAYS default to being saved to the windows\system32 folder where notepad.exe resides.
    I would Prefer that these files always be saved to the User's desktop. Most of the time, it is used to make short notes to the user by me. Copying the notepad.exe file TO the desktop instead of a shortcut to it will not work at al.

The solution is not hard but is a nuisance to remember to do every time. If i change the "Start In" location for the shortcut to c:\users\(current user's name)\desktop. Problem solved. All files default to saving on their desktop.

Is there any way to create the shortcut on there desktop so that it works in this manner to start with?

:)

questorfla, Nov 9, 2017

2. Not able to pin anything to my taskbar

Yes, what you describe is the Task Bar. Please run this experiment:

• Create a desktop shortcut for notepad.exe.
    • Drag it to the Task Bar.
    • Report the result.

Frederik Long, Nov 9, 2017
  3. Can't right-click notepad icon in taskbar

Open this folder:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories

Check if there is a shortcut named Notepad.

If it's not there create one manually with the following target:

%windir%\system32\notepad.exe

Let the shortcut name be "Notepad", and not "Notepad - shortcut" or something else.

See if you can right-click the Notepad icon in the Taskbar and Pin it.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Nov 9, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

How to fix a nuisance with notepad.exe shortcuts

Shortcut of what? You've already figured it out, how to do it. In shortcut's properties change "Start in" location...

Put that text in .txt file on your desktop and copy it next time (so you won't need to type it)

There is another possibility. Right click on desktop and select "new" / text file... you'll have a file on desktop (by default) and double click on it will open Notepad.

You can add other frequently used apps to context menu.

AndreTen, Nov 10, 2017
  5. Another suggestion:
    Create a new Notepad with just one word on the Desktop and Save As ... SHORT NOTE.txt or any title you like. You can then open SHORT NOTE.txt again and delete the word so it will open to a blank sheet next time
    When you want to make the short note to the user open SHORT NOTE, write the message then Save As ... any title you like.
    SHORT NOTE will always be there for you when you need it *Biggrin

Good luck *Smile

FrillyBits, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to fix a nuisance with notepad.exe shortcuts

1. How to fix a nuisance with notepad.exe shortcuts - Similar Threads - fix nuisance notepad

2. Win11: With a Notepad shortcut on the taskbar, How to pin a text file TO that Notepad...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11: With a Notepad shortcut on the taskbar, How to pin a text file TO that Notepad...: This is on Windows 11 Pro.As I did with Windows 10, I'd like to have a shortcut to Notepad on my taskbar.TO that Notepad shortcut, I'd like to pin a text file, as a Jump List, I think.A single left click gets you Notepad. A right click lets you choose the text file.It's easy...
  3. Win11: With a Notepad shortcut on the taskbar, How to pin a text file TO that Notepad...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11: With a Notepad shortcut on the taskbar, How to pin a text file TO that Notepad...: This is on Windows 11 Pro.As I did with Windows 10, I'd like to have a shortcut to Notepad on my taskbar.TO that Notepad shortcut, I'd like to pin a text file, as a Jump List, I think.A single left click gets you Notepad. A right click lets you choose the text file.It's easy...
  4. Notepad nuisance

Notepad nuisance: I was wondering if there is a way around this. I like to use Notepad for simple notemaking. But then sometimes I accidentaly open a second instance of Notepad and I get a second window open (so I have two windows open in parallel of the same file) and I keep editing one and...
  5. All my .exe Icon are Notepad Icons and they open in Notepad!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All my .exe Icon are Notepad Icons and they open in Notepad!: Help me! All my exe files are opening in notepad there's a photo. https://prnt.sc/qf2ukf https://prnt.sc/qf2usd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-my-exe-icon-are-notepad-icons-and-they-open-in/43bc3b50-c84c-4394-9524-83d016bee18e"
  6. how to get notepad shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to get notepad shortcut: I can open notepad via search, but it would be convenient to have a shortcut. Other discussions here recommend using the start menu, but I don't have a start menu. (Yes, this is Windows 10) When I click the Windows thingy in the lower left of the screen, it shows a bunch of...
  7. Notepad shortcuts swapped

Notepad shortcuts swapped: Good evening. I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my hard drive, due to a problem now fixed. For default language settings I use Portuguese (PT-PT), but for some reason, when I tried saving a .txt file using CTRL+G (which is the portuguese combination to "guardar") I got...
  8. .exe files opening in notepad

.exe files opening in notepad: Hey, I was just trying to download a .exe file the other day, and accidentally clicked an option that made it so that every file I now open is opened with notepad. If there is any way to fix this, I would be very happy. Thanks....
  9. fix notepad

fix notepad: How do I fix notepad's next? to delete a server name. it is jammed up at using next to find next. name of server is for xbox networking. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fix-notepad/03fccca4-8307-4455-9b7c-b9e233dabc68
  10. How to turn this into a exe shortcut?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to turn this into a exe shortcut?: How to turn this into a exe shortcut? Press Windows Key +R on the keyboard to open the Run dialog. Then enter "thunderbird.exe -p" Followed this, could not get it to work: How to Run Command Prompt Commands from a Windows Shortcut Code: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c...