Windows 10: How to fix a very slow laptop?

Discus and support How to fix a very slow laptop? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; SSD may not help with processing power but sure helps with program starting, Even with normal use, windows reads and writes several GB daily and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by CountMike, Apr 4, 2018.

1. CountMike New Member

How to fix a very slow laptop?

SSD may not help with processing power but sure helps with program starting, Even with normal use, windows reads and writes several GB daily and there's also virtual memory that works much better with SSD. There's also superfetch and prefetch using disk all the time.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018

2. A girlfriend of mine just let me use her laptop once in a while (she uses it very rarely, thank goodness!), Problem with it: it's slow. Very slow. How slow you ask? Installing something takes up half-an-hour to an HOUR to complete (even simple anti virus definitions take THAT long!) and even starting windows take up like 7 minutes long from start to finish.

I thought installing the FCU on her laptop would ramp things up (installed with her permission ofcourse) but no. Even that takes the slowness to a whole new level.

She used to have Windows 8.1 on that laptop but we've upgraded it. So.... How can we ramp that baby up without injecting that PC with some good helping of Red Bull?

Toshiba Satellite, 1Ghz laptop.

CPU: AMD E1-2100, AMD Jaguar

Clock freq: 1 Ghz

How to fix a very slow laptop? [​IMG]

How to fix a very slow laptop? [​IMG]

Oh and don't get me started over installing updates on this baby... (only if you have all day and no time on your hands...)

:)

RingTailCoon, Apr 28, 2018
  3. farby Win User
    Nokia E75 - very slow to get a GPS fix

With Integrated GPS positioning Method.. 5 minutes for the FIX is quite reasonable. Depending upon the topography of the area and the Weather.. it may be upto 30 minutes or more... Tall buildings / trees and / or Rainy / Cloudy weather hampers the signals
    from the satellites and therefore it may take quite long.. Also note that starting the Maps application at a place other than where it was switched Off the last time.. will also take a longer time for the Fix...

Some vehicles windscreen are coated with certain material that may also block the signals...

..as a Mobile phone is not a dedicated GPS device.. the size of the antenna and processing are the deciding factors... If you need to have a faster FIX.. check whether your phone has Bluetooth GPS capability (I do not think it is...not sure though).. that
    can provide a fix within matter of few seconds...

farby, Apr 28, 2018
  4. How to fix a very slow laptop?

Nokia E75 - very slow to get a GPS fix

Its normal for all phones because you are not using A-GPS. Keep in mind that the GPS unit of a phone is like less than the size of your thumb, while the GPS units of dedicated devices are like as big as an entire finger at times, plus using a lot more
    power than the GPS unit of a phone. The 5min thing and the forever in a moving vehicle is quite normal (this goes for EVERY unit not using A-GPS or network positioning).

chanchan05, Apr 28, 2018
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Good day.

Is the hard disk dying per chance? How much memory it has got? If Windows 8.1 was running fine there is no reason Windows 10 is running so slow. Did you try a clean installation?

PS - Try checking S.MA.R.T. values and issue a chkdsk c: /f /r /x command (from elevated command-prompt) on every partition, replacing c: by appropiate drive letter.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 28, 2018
  6. It has only one drive, the C:/ drive. I'll check that when I get the chance, the owner is now away for the sunday...

6 Gigs of mem it has.

7. pyramid10 Win User
    Another possibility is security software conflicts.

pyramid10, Apr 28, 2018
  8. How to fix a very slow laptop?

Yeah, she has AVG and Windows Defender running at the same time... *Shock

9. This is described online as a low-end laptop. Expect it to be slow. (No wonder she doesn't use it much!)

Its CPU passmark rating is 631.

In comparison we bought two HP desktops in 2010, one rated around 3700 and the other around 5000.

We junked them last year in favor of a laptop at 5700 and a desktop at 12000.

So ... a laptop rated 631 is bordering on junk. For better speed get a better computer.

margrave55, Apr 28, 2018
  10. Thank goodness it's not mine... I only got offered to upgrade the OS... *Roflmao2

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Upgrading the HDD to an SSD would give you the biggest speed boost.

A CPU Passmark of 631, though? wow.

NavyLCDR, Apr 28, 2018
  12. I could explain it to her, but she's quite a-technical! *Smile And... yes... Kiiiiiinda slowish!

13. How to fix a very slow laptop?

Not true. According to https://www.techarp.com/guides/compl...re-cpu-list/3/ this AMD E1-2100 processor is not vulnerable by Meltdown and Spectre exploits, so it lacks speculative execution optimization. In this case, installing SSD has minimal effect onto computer speed. See Let's run Win10 on really really old hardware - Page 24 - Windows 10 Forums post for further information.

muchomurka, Apr 28, 2018
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    There are basically two things that can be upgraded on that computer - HDD to SSD and RAM. So you think upgrading the RAM to the max of 16GB from the 4GB it likely came with from the factory would offer a greater performance boost than an upgrade from HDD to SSD?

NavyLCDR, Apr 28, 2018
  15. Both the RAM and SSD upgrades make sense only after processor upgrade. *) It is not always possible; lowend CPUs are often soldered to notebook motherboard, and if it can be done (processor is placed in socket and motherboard supports different CPUs), it is task for PC technician, anyway.

*) I own older netbook Asus EEE with soldered Atom N450 processor, tried to add RAM & test SSD in it, still very slow & processor utilization very high during long time after start. I decided to use that SSD in other notebook where it makes much better job.

It is possible to disable unneeded tasks & services, it may improve response a bit. Unfortunately I still did not found/made reasonable list of them & howto. And overall efficiency of these changes applied to lowend system remains questionable.

Buying some more powerful system (not necessarily new) is the best alternative I think.

muchomurka, Apr 28, 2018
Thema:

How to fix a very slow laptop?

1. How to fix a very slow laptop? - Similar Threads - fix very slow

2. Laptop is very slow, how to fix?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop is very slow, how to fix?: I have encountered a performance decline in my laptop, consistently observing the hard disk operating at 90% usage. Following a hardware test, no disk-related problems were identified. Notable applications installed include Android Studio, Visual Studio, AutoCAD, Figma, Git,...
  3. Laptop is very slow, how to fix?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop is very slow, how to fix?: I have encountered a performance decline in my laptop, consistently observing the hard disk operating at 90% usage. Following a hardware test, no disk-related problems were identified. Notable applications installed include Android Studio, Visual Studio, AutoCAD, Figma, Git,...
  4. Laptop is very slow.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop is very slow.: My laptop works very slow and the movement of cursor hangs. How can I rectify this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-is-very-slow/ab767d4c-3975-43c5-884f-8f2341832826
  5. Laptop is very slow.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop is very slow.: My laptop works very slow and the movement of cursor hangs. How can I rectify this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-is-very-slow/ab767d4c-3975-43c5-884f-8f2341832826
  6. Laptop very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop very slow: Hello! I have a ASUS X541UV i3-7100U, GeForce 920MX, 4GB Ram, 500 GB HDD. It is very slow, it lags, it glitches the windows, some applications Not Responding or just they go black for a few seconds, blue loading on cursor. I want to mention that I didn't got any virus because...
  7. Laptop very slow

Laptop very slow: I have Lenovo G5070,intel i3,ram 4 gb. I rarely use my laptop to play video or use notepad But last 6 months my laptop performance very slow. I tried windows 8.1 to 10 upgrade Format all drives Boot by usb many times Delete all partitions and new created then installed...
  8. Very Slow Laptop

Very Slow Laptop: 1 month ago my laptop started acting up. It is being very laggy and slow. Most of the time when I start up my PC I get the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), and that is very worrying. When it shows BSOD I turn it off then on again and works fine but still is very laggy and slow....
  9. laptop very slow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    laptop very slow: laptop very slow https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-very-slow/d6f6bce5-a0fc-48fb-b69b-7412a141e3dd
  10. Very Slow Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Very Slow Laptop: Hi there, My Acer OEM laptop has become very slow and is frustrating to no end. I want to reformat my hard disk and reinstall (clean stall) Win10. How do I go about this without me purchasing a Win10 product key?...