Windows 10: How to fix BCD for Dual Boot System

Discus and support How to fix BCD for Dual Boot System in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My bootloader is corrupted (I think the last Insider upgrade did it). I have the correct two Win 10 installations listed (my Win 10 production system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fireberd, Dec 3, 2019.

1. fireberd Win User

How to fix BCD for Dual Boot System

My bootloader is corrupted (I think the last Insider upgrade did it). I have the correct two Win 10 installations listed (my Win 10 production system and the Win 10 Insider) but there are others listed, such as "UEFI IP4" and both of my DVD drives (see screenshot). I would like to clear out the invalids but don't know how. I have EasyBCD and tried to recreate the bootloader but it corrupted it (and I recovered with Macrium Reflect).

Here is the screenshot:

How to fix BCD for Dual Boot System [​IMG]

:)

fireberd, Dec 3, 2019
  2. Andre Da Costa, Dec 3, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    How to clean up BCD entries? Rebuild the BCD?

This is normal that under Recovery Environment, The letters are re-assigned. This is why you have to be careful and select the correct one.
    @dictum
    Advice: Never use Easy BCD with Windows installed using GPT disk. Use Easy UEFI instead provided you know what you are doing. Easy BCD only works with MBR disk type.
    Base on the screen shot above. Your disk 0 is your new Windows and your disk 1 contains the old Windows. Disk 3 contains a 512MB Fat32 partition and I don't know what that is. I suggest you disconnect disk 3 for now before proceeding.

Let rebuild new BCD's for both disk 0, and disk 1. Please follow step by step on the 2 screen shots below. On step 3, write down the drive letter for PM981_New. In the screen shot, My Windows is still assigned to C but it might be different from yours. In step 10, if the drive letter is different than C, then use the letter in step 3.

Do exactly the same for disk 1, this time select disk 1 in step 4 and assign letter V in step 7, Use V and the drive letter for Old Windows in step 10. This will create a new BCD for PM981_Old and you will be able to boot separately from boot menu.

From boot menu, select which one to boot from.
    Once booted into Windows. If you wish, you can set up dual boot for Windows old & New. Under This PC, look for the drive letter of the offline Windows and type:
    bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the letter of the offline Windows

topgundcp, Dec 3, 2019
  4. How to fix BCD for Dual Boot System

Windows defender offline error: EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD - 0xc0000185

Hi Dave,

Could you provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Are you able to boot the device to desktop with this error message?

This issue might have occurred due to corruption in the boot files or BOIS unable to detect your drive to boot.

I suggest you to refer to the below thread, check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, try the troubleshooting steps suggested by -.[Final]#[Boss].- and check if
    it helps.

Error code after update File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot BCD
    Error Code 0xc0000185 BSOD

Hope this information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

How to fix BCD for Dual Boot System

1. How to fix BCD for Dual Boot System - Similar Threads - fix BCD Dual

2. Windows 10 re-writes BCD Timeout parameter when logging in on Dual Boot system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 re-writes BCD Timeout parameter when logging in on Dual Boot system: I am running a dual boot system Windows 10 / Windows 11 Insider Preview beta channel.I am able to successfully setting the Boot Configuration Data BCD Timeout parameter to 30 seconds to allow OS choice during bootup.I can do this using:1 Advanced system settings / Startup and...
  3. Windows 10 re-writes BCD Timeout parameter when logging in on Dual Boot system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 re-writes BCD Timeout parameter when logging in on Dual Boot system: I am running a dual boot system Windows 10 / Windows 11 Insider Preview beta channel.I am able to successfully setting the Boot Configuration Data BCD Timeout parameter to 30 seconds to allow OS choice during bootup.I can do this using:1 Advanced system settings / Startup and...
  4. Windows 10 re-writes BCD Timeout parameter when logging in on Dual Boot system

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. how to fix dual boot partition?

in Windows 10 Support
    how to fix dual boot partition?: I have tried easyBCD to fix, bootrec rebuildbcd, nothing worked and I'm not sure whats going on. can't seem to find this issue on google as well. attached screenshot below: (before anyone says anything, windows 10 exhibits the same behavior and I am simply using this...
  6. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  7. Dual boot system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual boot system: I am trying to set up a dual boot system with windows 7 and win10 each on different hard drives I am trying to help a freidn who has accounting software her computer is running windows7(OEM), intel,I5 3rd or 4th gen(3XXX), 8gb memory, and 500gb hard drive. the computer is...
  8. How To Fix No BCD File?

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Fix No BCD File?: I have searched the forum and there's lots of hits. But very tedious going through them looking for the one that fits. If someone know which thread answers my problem then perhaps they could give me a link to it. This Win10 computer won't boot since a power outage last...
  9. How to install on a dual boot system?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install on a dual boot system?: I have two systems. System 1 is a desktop running W7 Premium SP1. I did clean install of W10 from iso on separate partition. W10 will not activate using W7 numbers. I suspect that is because I moved W7 to an SSD 6 mos. ago and W10 expects the old HDD. BTW, installed W10 to...
  10. Multi Boot system Easy BCD issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multi Boot system Easy BCD issue: Ok so here's what has happened. I have a multi boot system. Windows 10 on my M2 hard drive. Then on another SSD I have Windows 10 Creators addition that I use to test updates . Then 1 more SSD that has Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. All were booting fine using Easy BCD until I...