Windows 10: How to fix: Cortana not opening, settings closing upon launch, right clicking on task bar...

Discus and support How to fix: Cortana not opening, settings closing upon launch, right clicking on task bar... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've tried multiple online solutions nothing worked then i tried windows support and got a employee to assist and try and fix the problem nothing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Saecrem, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Saecrem Win User

How to fix: Cortana not opening, settings closing upon launch, right clicking on task bar...

I've tried multiple online solutions nothing worked then i tried windows support and got a employee to assist and try and fix the problem nothing changed. So far everything I've tried has been a waste of time. All i need is one simple solution to fix all these problems because they all happened at the same time about 3 months ago. Any help whatsoever would be very appreciated. Thx

:)

Saecrem, Mar 31, 2019

2. Cannot modify Task Bar settings

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if the issue persists.

• Right click on the Task Bar.
    • Uncheck the option " Lock the Taskbar."

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Mar 31, 2019
  3. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Mar 31, 2019
  4. How to fix: Cortana not opening, settings closing upon launch, right clicking on task bar...

settings refuses to open

Does it crash when opening from the Start (cog icon) and when searching for "Settings app" in Cortana?

Can you check if the Settings actually closes;

1. Click on Settings even though it will disappear.

2. Right click bottom of screen (taskbar) and select Task Manager. It should open in the Processes tab.

3. See if Settings is displayed in the list of processes.

The common solution provided in the forum is creating a new user account. The steps are here ->

Settings doesn’t launch, or launches the Store instead

Yasshiel Zhang, Mar 31, 2019
Thema:

How to fix: Cortana not opening, settings closing upon launch, right clicking on task bar...

1. How to fix: Cortana not opening, settings closing upon launch, right clicking on task bar... - Similar Threads - fix Cortana opening

2. How to fix right click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix right click: Hi, every time I right click on a app on my desktop it just loads and loads and loads. I can't do anything on home screen after that. Only stops loading if I restart my computer. I tried a trouble shooting option that just makes my computer blue screen now. Help please...
  3. Can't right click in task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't right click in task bar: To start, I have:Windows 10 ProVersion: 20H2Build: 19042.1165Issue: I can't right click any icon in the task bar. Additionally, when I hover over an icon in the task bar the active windows show, but then they won't go away, even after I click on one of them to bring that...
  4. WPA closes instantly - upon launch

in Windows 10 Support
    WPA closes instantly - upon launch: I had some error causing Windows Performance Analyzer to crash upon launch. I did clean install and it worked, but now it doesn't work again (different error) LOL... Ofc. 3 search engines coldn't find anything about Event Viewer errors - classic... And I don't know how...
  5. Windows Settings Crashes upon startup, Cortana/Search bar will not respond when clicking on...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Settings Crashes upon startup, Cortana/Search bar will not respond when clicking on...: Yesterday I noticed my computer would keep waking itself up from sleep mode without me touching it, I kept putting it back to sleep only for it to awaken again. So I shut off completely. Went to work and came back, turned on the PC and it said I had finished installing an...
  6. Unable to open Taskbar Settings when right clicking the task bar and selecting taskbar settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to open Taskbar Settings when right clicking the task bar and selecting taskbar settings: This also applies to the sound settings as well when I try to access it by right clicking the speaker icon. Any idea how to fix this? I've only found one solution so far and that's for me to create a new user account and delete the one that I currently have, but I don't want...
  7. Cortana and task bar

in Cortana
    Cortana and task bar: I have Cortana turned off in its settings because I do not use it. I've never set it up. However, whenever I move my arrow to the bottom of the screen, for example, if I want to scroll the the right or left, the task bar pops up and freezes in place so that I can no longer...
  8. right click on volume icon on task bar not working right

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    right click on volume icon on task bar not working right: Hi - last few days, when i right click on volume, only the volume mixer is working, playback devices, sound, recording devices all don't work..when i tried to access device manager, getting message - Unable to create new document!! what is going on?? thanks for the help...
  9. Right-Click Windows Explorer (Task Bar) doesn't open.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right-Click Windows Explorer (Task Bar) doesn't open.: Including any of the folders within the pinned sub-menu when right-click-accessing File Explorer. Left mouse click still works. Tried unpinning/pinning. Tried restarting Windows Explorer in Task Manager. Tried Running explorer.exe, and sfc scan shows no integrity...
  10. Left-Click and right-click not work after right-click on File Explorer (in task bar)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Left-Click and right-click not work after right-click on File Explorer (in task bar): when I right-click on file explorer to try to open frequent or pinned folder, left-click or right-click on folder name are resulting in nothing happen but I can still pin or unpin folder normally....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortana setting not in the task bar right click