Windows 10: How to fix 'Indexing is not running?

Discus and support How to fix 'Indexing is not running? in Cortana to solve the problem; For no apparent reason Indexing stopped and a search displays Indexing is not running. "error 21 the device is not ready windows search" is... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by GraeBra, Nov 3, 2020.

1. GraeBra Win User

How to fix 'Indexing is not running?

For no apparent reason Indexing stopped and a search displays Indexing is not running.

"error 21 the device is not ready windows search" is displayed when trying to Restart Index. Rebuild Index does not work and can't access field in Indexing Options

Win 10 64 2004

:)

GraeBra, Nov 3, 2020
  2. Jessen P Win User

indexing is not running aftervrepairto office 365

Hi Michael,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

Run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with search and indexing of files and folders. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check the status of the issue. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Please revert if you face any issues with Windows in future.

Jessen P, Nov 3, 2020
  3. indexing is not running aftervrepairto office 365

Jessen,

The trouble shooter did not fix the problem.

The same problem occurred when I installed office 365, 3 or 4 months ago.

Eventually it disappeared as a matter of course. However waiting for that to happen again is not ideal.

Mike

CamelJuggler8, Nov 3, 2020
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

Search - Indexing not running

Hello,

One of the possible reasons why you're having issues when using search is because of a corrupted user profile. For us to assist you, we suggest that you create another account with administrator privileges and try to use the search feature again. Here's an
    article that you can visit to see how to do it:
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform the steps listed below to correct the settings of your Indexed folder:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type %LocalAppData%.
    • Select Packages.
    • Click on windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy.
    • Choose LocalState.
    • Right-click the Indexed folder.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click Advanced.
    • Click the checkbox beside Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties so that a check mark appears.
    • Click OK.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK. A window with a progress bar will pop up as the folder is indexed.
    • Click OK when the indexing progress is finished.

After doing the steps provided, kindly try to use the search feature again.

Kindly update us with the results and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Nov 3, 2020
Thema:

1. How to fix 'Indexing is not running? - Similar Threads - fix 'Indexing running

2. Indexing is not running.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing is not running.: When searching on Start Menu, it says Search Indexing was Turned Off. When I click on Turn On Indexing, I get Indexing is not running. There's no option to start indexing, and troubleshoot search and indexing doesn't turn it on....
  3. Indexing is not running.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Indexing is not running.: When searching on Start Menu, it says Search Indexing was Turned Off. When I click on Turn On Indexing, I get Indexing is not running. There's no option to start indexing, and troubleshoot search and indexing doesn't turn it on....
  4. Indexing is not running in Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Indexing is not running in Windows 11.: Advanced button gives option to 'delete and rebuild'. Choosing this option does nothing... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/indexing-is-not-running-in-windows-11/ebddf1d6-8db5-4143-8211-98868b7dad17
  5. Index is not running.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Index is not running.: I have turned OFF Windows Search [Indexing ] because I use an alternative method [ Everything ]. However, if I perform a search in Explorer, I get the message . . . Your searches might be slow because the index is not running. Click to turn on the index... Is there ANY way...
  6. indexing is not running

in Cortana
    indexing is not running: dear Sir, I have windows 10, my indexing is not working, may you help to restore my index. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/indexing-is-not-running/d20cf127-7fd7-4212-afb7-81de7eb6ad40
  7. Indexing is not running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Indexing is not running: File searches are extremely slow (about 10 times slower than in Windows 10). When I go to "Indexing Options" it tells me "indexing is not running" and it doesn't let me enter anything under "Index these locations". Same is true under "Advanced Options"....
  8. Fixing the "Index is not running" issue

in Cortana
    Fixing the "Index is not running" issue: The purpose of this post is to suggest another method of fixing the "Indexing is not running" problem. Please bear with me; I am not a Windows expert, but I felt the need to write this post simply because all of the other solutions "out there" did not fix my problem. The...
  9. Modify Button grey out in "Indexing" and Indexing not running

in Windows 10 Customization
    Modify Button grey out in "Indexing" and Indexing not running: Hello, I have following few problems, if someone can help. 1. Windows Indexing is not running. (Tried method of rebuild but not working) 2. Modify button is grey out and no folder is currently present in the indexing options. 3. Windows Search is in hang state...
  10. Indexing not running

in Windows 10 Support
    Indexing not running: While trying to do a search in outlook 2016, i got the notice "something happened and search cannot be executed" or something like that. A quick google led to the indexing service. I launched services.msc and looked at "Windows Search". It's set to the default "delayed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to correct if indexing option is not open in pc