Windows 10: How to fix internal drives showing up as removable on Windows 11

Discus and support How to fix internal drives showing up as removable on Windows 11 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; There is a clear distinction between internal, or fixed, hard drives and removable drives. The most common difference is that removable drives are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 20, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to fix internal drives showing up as removable on Windows 11

There is a clear distinction between internal, or fixed, hard drives and removable drives. The most common difference is that removable drives are usually connected to outside ports of the device. Removal devices may be external disk drives, optical disc drives or memory cards and sticks.

There are other differences, including that removal drives tend to get power from the USB port they are connected to or an external source and that they may be disconnected from Windows using ejection.

Internal hard drives may sometimes show up as removable drives in Windows. The issue has plagued Windows users for a long time. A page on Microsoft's support website confirms that Windows 7 to Windows 11 operating systems may experience the issue.

Microsoft notes that it is not Windows that is assigning the wrong classification to internal drives. The BIOS of the device is responsible for classifying connected drives. Microsoft writes: "The inbox driver directly inspects SATA ports and considers devices connected to those ports marked “external” as removable devices." Failure to do so may lead to corruption or data loss, according to Microsoft.

Changing the SATA drive classification from removable to internal

How to fix internal drives showing up as removable on Windows 11 windows-11-motherboard-model.png

Microsoft recommends to update the computer's BIOS first to see if a newer version addresses the issue. It is necessary to check the website of the manufacturer of the device and/or motherboard to find out if a BIOS update is available.

One of the easier options to find out about the model of the motherboard is to run the following command in Terminal: wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer,version,serialnumber

It displays the manufacturer and product ID in the response. All that is left to do is visit the website of the manufacturer and search for BIOS updates. A search like "manufacturer model BIOS update" should do the trick in most cases.

Updating may work, but not all the time. If there is no update available or if the update does not address the issue, Windows admins may override the classification in the operating system.

How to fix internal drives showing up as removable on Windows 11 bus-number-drive-windows.png

The following steps are required for that:

1. Use the Windows-X command do display the administrative menu and select Terminal (admin).
    2. Confirm that you want to launch the Terminal application with elevated rights.
    3. Load devmgmt.msc in the window.
    4. Expand Disk Drives and locate the drive that is listed as external by the BIOS and Windows.
    5. Right-click on the drive and select properties.
    6. Write down the bus number displayed under Location in the window that opens.
    7. Run the following command in Terminal afterwards and replace X in the command with the bus number that you looked up in step 6: eg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d X
    8. Restart the device.

Windows 11 should no longer list the internal drive as external after the reboot. Repeat the process for any other drive that is classified wrongly. (via Neowin)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to fix internal drives showing up as removable on Windows 11 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 20, 2023
  2. spunk Win User
    spunk, May 20, 2023
  3. fredde Win User
    Internal Sata Drive shows up as removable drive

The P4P800 DLX has an Intel 865PE chipset and an Intel ICH5R southbridge which controls the sata function. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make windows recognize the drive properly? my bios does recognize my sata drive.

fredde, May 20, 2023
  4. mikee286 Win User

internal hard drives showing as external removable devices

Tried checking write caching in device manager, it was enabled
    looked in bios for hot swap or hot plug setting, it was disabled
    I also installed all the drivers from the motherboard driver disk to see if there were drivers for the sata controller that would fix the issue, no luck there either.

mikee286, May 20, 2023
Thema:

1. How to fix internal drives showing up as removable on Windows 11 - Similar Threads - fix internal drives

2. Toshiba internal drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Toshiba internal drive not showing up: I've recently switched pc's and moved my ssd and hdd to the new computer. Unfortunately while ssd is showing up and working juzt fine, the most important hdd when I have all of my files isn't even showing up in the drive management. It's not being detected at all. Is Toshiba...
  3. Toshiba internal drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Toshiba internal drive not showing up: I've recently switched pc's and moved my ssd and hdd to the new computer. Unfortunately while ssd is showing up and working juzt fine, the most important hdd when I have all of my files isn't even showing up in the drive management. It's not being detected at all. Is Toshiba...
  4. Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives: Hello,Thank you in advance for any assistance. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.My issue is I have an internal hard drive that is showing as a removable storage device. I am using this drive for Backup. Windows 10 File Backup and trying to use it for a system image. I think...
  5. Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives: Hello, Thank you in advance for any assistance. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. My issue is I have an internal hard drive that is showing as a removable storage device. I am using this drive for Backup. Windows 10 File Backup and trying to use it for a system...
  6. Problem after "Internal SATA Drives show up as removeable media" fix

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem after "Internal SATA Drives show up as removeable media" fix: I had a problem with my SSD showing up as a removeable drive. It always seemed like there were hesitations with that drive so I thought I should fix the proble. To do so, I followed this Microsoft recommendation: Internal SATA Drives show up as removeable media This is the...
  7. Internal SATA hard drives show up as removable devices in 'Safely Remove Hardware'

Internal SATA hard drives show up as removable devices in 'Safely Remove Hardware': Hi, Issue; I've got two of my internal SATA hard drives (4 internal hard drive in total) showing as removeable drives in the 'safely remove hardware and eject media' tray icon list. I don't want to accidentally eject one of them so I would like them not to appear in the...
  8. Internal drive not showing up

Internal drive not showing up: The internal D: drive on my laptop isn't showing up anymore after downloading a game from steam and getting a disk corrupt error message every now and again. It doesn't show up on Disk Management or Command or anything. Do I just bring it to someone and get a new compatible...
  9. Internal SATA Drives show up as removeable media

Internal SATA Drives show up as removeable media: After clean install of Win 10 ver 1803 two (2) internal hard drives now appear in taskbar as removable and in fact can be removed....neither are the primary drive but backup drives....anyone else having this situation...have attempted registry changes as outlined below but...
  10. Internal SATA drives show as removable

Internal SATA drives show as removable: My motherboard has two SATA controllers. C: and D: are connected to a separate controller from the other two hard drives and one DVD burner. C: and D: show on the remove/eject menu. How do I get them off that? The last, and only other, time I encountered such a problem...