Windows 10: How To Fix Latency Issues Found With Latencymon Causing Choppy Audio

Discus and support How To Fix Latency Issues Found With Latencymon Causing Choppy Audio in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; A couple days ago I updated some drivers, and ever since then I've had choppy audio through multiple programs and devices. I rolled back the drivers,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ravoblex, May 4, 2021.

1. Ravoblex Win User

How To Fix Latency Issues Found With Latencymon Causing Choppy Audio

A couple days ago I updated some drivers, and ever since then I've had choppy audio through multiple programs and devices. I rolled back the drivers, but that didn't help. I then did a clean install of Windows 10 to no avail. So, after all that, I used Latencymon to narrow it down to a couple driver issues (see report included in this post.) I'm also wondering if my Audient ID14 audio interface is faulty (or if the USB cable needs to be replaced,) because I saw a warning in the Event Viewer related to this device (see screenshot, attached.) I'm further wondering if one of my CPU cores is bad because Latencymon showed it lagging. I also ran Windows Performance Recorder if anyone wants to see that output. Here is the link to that 7zip file in my Dropbox: Dropbox - Windows-Performance-Recorder-1.zip - Simplify your life Here is the Latencymon report: ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ CONCLUSION ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates. LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:42:40 (h:mm:ss) on all processors. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ SYSTEM INFORMATION ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ Computer name: DESKTOP-P907P89 OS version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042 (x64) Hardware: To Be Filled By O.E.M., To Be Filled By O.E.M. CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz Logical processors: 8 Processor groups: 1 RAM: 16335 MB total ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ CPU SPEED ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ Reported CPU speed: 3991 MHz Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event. Highest measured interrupt to process latency (s): 101378.70 Average measured interrupt to process latency (s): 289.470627 Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (s): 101362.70 Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (s): 286.750512 ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ REPORTED ISRs ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal. Highest ISR routine execution time (s): 105.060887 Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.033775 Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.043309 ISR count (execution time <250 s): 1678747 ISR count (execution time 250-500 s): 0 ISR count (execution time 500-1000 s): 0 ISR count (execution time 1000-2000 s): 0 ISR count (execution time 2000-4000 s): 0 ISR count (execution time >=4000 s): 0 ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ REPORTED DPCs ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution. Highest DPC routine execution time (s): 100751.600852 Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: storport.sys - Microsoft Storage Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.744287 Driver with highest DPC total execution time: storport.sys - Microsoft Storage Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.961341 DPC count (execution time <250 s): 2716739 DPC count (execution time 250-500 s): 0 DPC count (execution time 500-10000 s): 1585 DPC count (execution time 1000-2000 s): 0 DPC count (execution time 2000-4000 s): 0 DPC count (execution time >=4000 s): 1508 ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution. NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit. Process with highest pagefault count: bdservicehost.exe Total number of hard pagefaults 2357 Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 416 Number of processes hit: 35 ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ PER CPU DATA ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 347.757604 CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (s): 105.060887 CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 8.867287 CPU 0 ISR count: 1678418 CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (s): 100751.600852 CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 196.488003 CPU 0 DPC count: 2577947 ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 7.822425 CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (s): 55.143322 CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.004107 CPU 1 ISR count: 329 CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (s): 148.412177 CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.078137 CPU 1 DPC count: 24054 ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 7.166522 CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (s): 0.0 CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0 CPU 2 ISR count: 0 CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (s): 364.826109 CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.121912 CPU 2 DPC count: 39672 ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 7.748983 CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (s): 0.0 CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0 CPU 3 ISR count: 0 CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (s): 88.375846 CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.034896 CPU 3 DPC count: 15182 ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 6.240062 CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (s): 0.0 CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0 CPU 4 ISR count: 0 CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (s): 83.588324 CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 0.078986 CPU 4 DPC count: 25949 ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 6.560120 CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (s): 0.0 CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0 CPU 5 ISR count: 0 CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (s): 98.911802 CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.022977 CPU 5 DPC count: 9052 ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 5.965318 CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (s): 0.0 CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0 CPU 6 ISR count: 0 CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (s): 184.990228 CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 0.054690 CPU 6 DPC count: 18154 ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 6.421558 CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (s): 0.0 CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0 CPU 7 ISR count: 0 CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (s): 46.410173 CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 0.040310 CPU 7 DPC count: 9822 Thanks for taking the time to read this. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____

:)

Ravoblex, May 4, 2021
  2. Ravoblex Win User

A couple days ago I updated some drivers, and ever since then I've had choppy audio through multiple programs and devices. I rolled back the drivers, but that didn't help. I then did a clean install of Windows 10 to no avail. So, after all that, I used Latencymon to narrow it down to a couple driver issues (see report included in this post.) I'm also wondering if my Audient ID14 audio interface is faulty (or if the USB cable needs to be replaced,) because I saw a warning in the Event Viewer related to this device (see screenshot, attached.) I'm further wondering if one of my CPU cores is bad because Latencymon showed it lagging. I also ran Windows Performance Recorder if anyone wants to see that output. Here is the link to that 7zip file in my Dropbox: Dropbox - Windows-Performance-Recorder-1.zip - Simplify your life

How To Fix Latency Issues Found With Latencymon Causing Choppy Audio [​IMG]

Here is the Latencymon report:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____
    CONCLUSION
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____
    Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:42:40 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer name: DESKTOP-P907P89
    OS version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042 (x64)
    Hardware: To Be Filled By O.E.M., To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
    Logical processors: 8
    Processor groups: 1
    RAM: 16335 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed: 3991 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
    The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 101378.70
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 289.470627

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 101362.70
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 286.750512

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 105.060887
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.033775
    Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.043309

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 1678747
    ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 500-1000 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 1000-2000 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 2000-4000 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 100751.600852
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: storport.sys - Microsoft Storage Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.744287
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time: storport.sys - Microsoft Storage Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.961341

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 2716739
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs): 1585
    DPC count (execution time 1000-2000 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time 2000-4000 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 1508

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: bdservicehost.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 2357
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 416
    Number of processes hit: 35

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 347.757604
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 105.060887
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 8.867287
    CPU 0 ISR count: 1678418
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 100751.600852
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 196.488003
    CPU 0 DPC count: 2577947
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 7.822425
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 55.143322
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.004107
    CPU 1 ISR count: 329
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 148.412177
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.078137
    CPU 1 DPC count: 24054
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 7.166522
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 2 ISR count: 0
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 364.826109
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.121912
    CPU 2 DPC count: 39672
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 7.748983
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 3 ISR count: 0
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 88.375846
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.034896
    CPU 3 DPC count: 15182
    CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 6.240062
    CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 4 ISR count: 0
    CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 83.588324
    CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 0.078986
    CPU 4 DPC count: 25949
    CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 6.560120
    CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 5 ISR count: 0
    CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 98.911802
    CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.022977
    CPU 5 DPC count: 9052
    CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 5.965318
    CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 6 ISR count: 0
    CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 184.990228
    CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 0.054690
    CPU 6 DPC count: 18154
    CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 6.421558
    CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 7 ISR count: 0
    CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 46.410173
    CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 0.040310
    CPU 7 DPC count: 9822

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Ravoblex, May 4, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    Audio and Video Tearing - High DPC Latency in LatencyMon

Hi, if you search tenforums for Latencymon, for example, you will find other threads which might suggest a way forward.

Diagnosing this problem is not straightforward.

One approach is to simplify hardware as much as possible, another to use a somewhat daunting tool from MS, the Windows Performance Recorder (tutorial available).

Similarly if you search tenforums for references to this you will see some example screenshots.

More:
    Solving DPC Latency Issues | Sweetwater

Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: real-time audio suitability checker

Older:
    How to Diagnose and Fix High DPC Latency Issues with WPA (Windows Vista/7/8) | Sysnative Forums

History: (so often omitted by posters):
    - when did you last not have this problem?
    - what has changed since then?
    - change of hardware... feature update (upgrade).. other updates...

Windows build: 1904 is not a valid major build. Please choose from
    1903, 1909, 2004

dalchina, May 4, 2021
  4. okidna Win User

Experiencing strange behavior (choppy audio + low fps) DPC Latency?

Based on the choppy audio issue, maybe some DPC latency problem?

Since you're using Windows10, try to use LatencyMon : http://www.resplendence.com/download/LatencyMon.exe
    Run the installer, run the program, and use your PC to play game like usual, if you experienced the audio choppy/dropping look at LatencyMon windows and report back (screenshot) what are you seeing.

Also it would be nice if you could fill your PC spec here : https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/account/specs

okidna, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. How To Fix Latency Issues Found With Latencymon Causing Choppy Audio - Similar Threads - Fix Latency Issues

2. Recommendation on how to lower Latency with LatencyMon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recommendation on how to lower Latency with LatencyMon: I was wondering does anybody have any recommendation onto lower latency like what to run and what not to run. What should stay one and what stay off....
  3. Recommendation on how to lower Latency with LatencyMon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recommendation on how to lower Latency with LatencyMon: I was wondering does anybody have any recommendation onto lower latency like what to run and what not to run. What should stay one and what stay off....
  4. latencymon question, about latency

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    latencymon question, about latency: Is it normal to have latencymon show ISR wdf01000 around 35 while playing games and dxgkrnl to around 400 DPC while playing as well? my setup all amd plus very alarming idk if its suppse to be like that but why my realtek family ethernet driver showing 6 average but when i...
  5. latencymon question, about latency

in Windows 10 Gaming
    latencymon question, about latency: Is it normal to have latencymon show ISR wdf01000 around 35 while playing games and dxgkrnl to around 400 DPC while playing as well? my setup all amd plus very alarming idk if its suppse to be like that but why my realtek family ethernet driver showing 6 average but when i...
  6. WDF01000.sys High latency on latencymon how to fix the problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WDF01000.sys High latency on latencymon how to fix the problem: my pc built window 10 home 20h2 CPU:ryzen 5900x VGA:radeon vii lastest driver MB:Crosshair hero vii wi-fi lastest bios RAM: 32gb G.skill neo 3200 PSU:leadex II 850w gold HDD:m.2 500gb m.2 1TB WD BLACK 2 WD BLUE 1TB Power plan : ultimate performance...
  7. I am getting issues with latency and audio skipping/popping/crackling. Latencymon...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I am getting issues with latency and audio skipping/popping/crackling. Latencymon...: I am getting issues with latency and audio skipping/popping/crackling. Latencymon identifies wdf01000.sys kernal mode driver framework runtime as possibly being the issue. How can I fix this problem? Can I replace this? [ATTACH]...
  8. Audio and Video Tearing - High DPC Latency in LatencyMon

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio and Video Tearing - High DPC Latency in LatencyMon: I'm having some audio and video issues. They're most prevalent while playing games (Warhammer 2 and ESO, mainly) and the issues cause the games to stutter, drop FPS, and the audio becomes corrupted. This also occurs when starting the PC. The audio is corrupted and the mouse...
  9. Audio popping / stutter issue, high latency in latencymon

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio popping / stutter issue, high latency in latencymon: Hi all, I finished building my new gaming computer recently and facing serious audio (popping, crackling, stuttering) issues as soon I start a game. These issues are appearing in both, the onboard sound device and the dedicated gameDAC from Steelseries. At least the gameDAC...
  10. Need help with dpc latency in LatencyMon

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Need help with dpc latency in LatencyMon: Could this somehow be related to USB drivers? I have the ASUS Sabertooth Z87 mobo and noticed that my USB drivers seem to be all mixed around; I just need help with basic fixings.l Thanks! [img] 88327