Windows 10: How to fix mute speaker?

Discus and support How to fix mute speaker? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My speaker doesn't work and I don't know why.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by clemmo mcgraw, Jun 28, 2022.

1. How to fix mute speaker?

My speaker doesn't work and I don't know why.

:)

clemmo mcgraw, Jun 28, 2022
  2. tmasierra Win User

How do I mute my internal laptop speakers leaving external speakers on

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie. Windows 10. Incredibly I was innocently dusting my Del laptop keys when my computer sound (usually set on Pandora music) was muted, showing an 'x' over speaker icon on taskbar. Previously I could just click it to get it unmuted. This time it took about two hours of my time. Now I have sound coming out of both my external speakers and my internal speakers, when previously just plugging in my external speakers would mute my internal, or built-in, speakers. Is there any way I can mute my internal speakers without muting my external speakers without spending the rest of the day in troubleshooting, involving detailed examination of my motherboard and countless other steps?
    Thanks for listening!
    tma

tmasierra, Jun 28, 2022
  3. jrw46 Win User
    Speaker MUTE Key and ICON

The suggestions about restarting the explorer.exe and running sfc didn't fix the problem. I don't think there is a
    corruped file becuase the mute switch worked fine until the day I upgraded from 7 to 10.

I ran a copy of Linux Live and the mute icon works fine, going back to win 10 the mute switch is always on regardless the postilion of the speaker mute key, the ICON is always on.

jrw46, Jun 28, 2022
  4. How to fix mute speaker?

Speakers on permanent mute and unable to clear it on Windows 10

Hello Christina,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

• What is the make and model of your PC?
    • Is it a Laptop or Desktop?
    • Is it showing red mute symbol against speaker icon in system tray?
    • Are you referring to Cumulative Windows Update?
    If in case the problem is on laptop, then check with the function key combination for mute and unmute on keyboard. For example, Fn key + F7 or F9. So, try to press the key combination to see if it makes any difference. Also try pressing the function key
    (I.e. F7 or F9) alone without using Fn key to check if it correct the issue.

If it doesn't fix the issue, then go to System tray, right-click on Speaker Icon, then select
    Open Volume Mixer. Ensure that all speaker slider are set correctly and noting is selected to Mute. If anything is showing a Mute (I.e. red mute symbol), then try to clear it to see if it fix the issue. If problem still persist, then try below
    steps.

• Open Device Manager, by pressing
      Windows Key + X and select Device
      Manager

• Spot and expand the “Sound, video and game controllers” using
      Arrow keys or using cursor.

• Double-click on the High Definition Audio Device
      driver or any other driver showing there.

• Go to the Drivers tab.

• Select Roll Back Driver
      under Drivers tab.

• In the Driver Package rollback dialog box, select
      Yes.

• Reboot the system to check if problem still persist.

• If it doesn't fix the issue, then Right click on the same driver and select “Uninstall” then restart the system and let the system install the driver automatically on Start. Check and see
      if it resolve the issue. (Recommended step)
    Keep us posted the outcome to guide you further.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jun 28, 2022
Thema:

How to fix mute speaker?

1. How to fix mute speaker? - Similar Threads - fix mute speaker

2. How to fix mute speaker?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix mute speaker?: My speaker doesn't work and I don't know why. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-mute-speaker/3fd7d379-51cb-44a2-a433-bd6be87e89bf
  3. Bluetooth speaker going mute

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bluetooth speaker going mute: For some reason when were I'm watching a video like on youtube and the next video comes on, it goes on mute. I resolve it by having to pause and play. This also happens to my other application like VLC media player. Another thing it does if I have to tabs playing a video and...
  4. Speaker icon on mute

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Speaker icon on mute: My speaker icon has a red X and speaker setup UNKNOWN and is OFF can't figure out how to turn on! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-icon-on-mute/e9fe8207-57f9-41c4-badd-0dcd907e8134
  5. Speaker automatically mutes sound?

Speaker automatically mutes sound?: Hello Hello, i listen to music via bluetooth with my devil speaker over youtube (chrome) and everything works fine. But when I am on another page in Firefox and e.g. a video is playing which I pause or switch off, the sound of Chrome is automatically switched off. Not...
  6. speakers muting

speakers muting: my speakers quit working on my laptop, which is an HP using realtek audio. I have lost my sound, it is very low and if you put the speakers near your ear you can hardly hear anything. When I try to do things with the speaker settings and try to play something, it may work for...
  7. How do I mute microphone in Speakers?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I mute microphone in Speakers?: The microphone sounds are really annoying and I used to be able to mute it through Sounds > Speakers (G533 Gaming Headset) > Levels > Microphone. All I see now is just the slider for Speakers. Here's what it should look like: Disabling Microphone playback. I thought it could...
  8. Speaker is muted in Skype

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Speaker is muted in Skype: I cannot hear the other person. The speakers work in all other applications. In trying to troubleshoot this I stumbled on a screen that shows whether the speakers are working in various application. All showed they were except Skype which is grayed out. Solution? 63.778...
  9. Speaker icon muted

in Windows 10 Customization
    Speaker icon muted: Speaker icon muted at top left corner on microsoft edge https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-icon-muted/d4faa040-1f2f-4dd6-ab39-e1289624f6d0
  10. External Speaker Fails to Mute Internal Speaker

External Speaker Fails to Mute Internal Speaker: I am running Windows 10 Professional with current up-to-date updates on my Dell Inspiron Laptop. Several days ago I noticed that plugging in current headset no longer muted the internal speaker. I know that it is not the headset as it works perfectly on another computer....