Windows 10: How to fix preview functionality missing for PDF file types after Folder Options are done?

Discus and support How to fix preview functionality missing for PDF file types after Folder Options are done? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I need help to Preview PDFs with File Explorer but below steps are not working.[Fix] PDF Thumbnail and Preview Not Showing in ExplorerPreliminary step... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by panes-rubic, Jun 7, 2023.

1. How to fix preview functionality missing for PDF file types after Folder Options are done?

I need help to Preview PDFs with File Explorer but below steps are not working.[Fix] PDF Thumbnail and Preview Not Showing in ExplorerPreliminary step – Enable thumbnails and preview handlers in ExplorerOpen Folder OptionsEnable “Show preview handlers in preview pane”Uncheck “Always show icons, never thumbnailsIf thumbnail and preview functionality is still missing for PDF file types, proceed to the next step.Microsoft PowerToys is not acceptable alternative because it is not approved; my guess is PowerToys utility could wreak havoc within the Windows operating system; as such, novic

:)

panes-rubic, Jun 7, 2023
  2. Sean Luo Win User

File explorer: PDF's preview showing "INDEX OF" in network folders

Redirecting

FIX

To customise the Windows Explorer previewer, you need to edit the registry directly to overwrite Windows using - I found this solution worked immediately.

How To Switch PDF Preview Handler When One Stopped Working - NEXTOFWINDOWS.COM

Step 1 - In Regedit go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PreviewHandlers

Step 2 - Copy the Value Name for the Previewer that you want to use.

- I copied the Value Name that had a data value of "Adobe PDF Preview Handler"

- You might use "Foxit PDF Previewer" or another

Step 3 - Go to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf\shellex\{8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f}

Step 4 - Change the Default to the Value Name you copied in Step 2.

Sean Luo, Jun 7, 2023
  3. For PDF, instead of individual preview, how to show all (like Photo) in large Folder ? Adobe preview all PDFs without clicking on each PDF.

Same Preview capability for Photos (without clicking on each), how to preview all PDFs in large folder? This will alleviate me clicking on each individual PDF for a large folder.

Adobe can preview all PDFs without clicking on each PDF.

How to fix preview functionality missing for PDF file types after Folder Options are done? ioS0IZBKVbgqnEOk%2fL9CblAg2jocbEv22y09TfNtkzkDCnD3GGlHKF4AlrV2En3oJ8adf2SWhS9VLV6WT0r9v70MHS0%3d.gif

Method

Enabling Image Previews

Image titled Enable Image Preview to Display Pictures in a Folder (Windows 10) Step 1

Open File Explorer Windows File Explorer . Click the folder-shaped File Explorer icon at the bottom of the screen, or press ⊞ Win+E.

If File Explorer isn't at the bottom of the screen, you can also click Start Windows Start, type in file explorer, and click File Explorer at the top of the menu.

Image titled Enable Image Preview to Display Pictures in a Folder (Windows 10) Step 2

Open your folder. Using the File Explorer's left-hand column of folders, navigate to the folder in which you want to enable image previews.

Image titled Enable Image Preview to Display Pictures in a Folder (Windows 10) Step 3

Click the View tab. It's in the upper-left side of the File Explorer window. A toolbar will drop down from the top of the window.

Image titled Enable Image Preview to Display Pictures in a Folder (Windows 10) Step 4

Click the Options icon. This icon is in the upper-right corner of the window and resembles a white box with checkmarks on it. Clicking it prompts a pop-up window to appear.

Image titled Enable Image Preview to Display Pictures in a Folder (Windows 10) Step 5

Click the View tab. It's at the top of the pop-up window.

Image titled Enable Image Preview to Display Pictures in a Folder (Windows 10) Step 6

Uncheck the "Always show icons, never thumbnails" box. You'll find this in the "Files and Folders" section near the bottom of the window.

If you don't see this box, first double-click the "Files and Folders" heading to cause it to appear.

If this box is already unchecked, you may have to fix a corrupted thumbnail cache first.

Image titled Enable Image Preview to Display Pictures in a Folder (Windows 10) Step 7

Click Apply, then click OK. Both options are at the bottom of the window. Doing so will apply your settings and close the window.

Image titled Enable Image Preview to Display Pictures in a Folder (Windows 10) Step 8

Make sure your folder is displaying the proper viewing option. In order to see thumbnail previews, your folder must display files and folders using a supported viewing option (e.g., Extra large icons). To change the current view setting, do the following:

Click the View tab.

Click one of the following "Layout" options: Extra large icons, Large icons, Medium icons, Tiles, or.

Sunny PA Wong, Jun 7, 2023
  4. How to fix preview functionality missing for PDF file types after Folder Options are done?

can't remove a pdf from my win10 desktop

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

We would suggest you to perform these steps and check.

Step 1:
    Turn off Preview pane in Windows Explorer

1. Open File Explorer, Click on View tab.

2. Click on Preview option to hide or close
    3. Click on Desktop from the Navigation pane. Then try deleting the file.

Step 2: Check the default PDF application

1. Press Windows + I key to launch Windows Settings.

2. Click on Apps and select Default apps from the left pane.

3. Now scroll down and click on Choose default apps by file type.

4. Scroll and look for .pdf, .pdxml, and .pdx file type, then click on the + sign to change it to Edge.
    5. Then close Settings and try
      deleting the file.

Step 3: If the default app for PDF is Adobe Reader.

1. Open Adobe Reader. Go to Edit.

2. Choose Preferences.

3. From the Categories on the left, select Security (Enhanced).

4. Uncheck the Enable Enhanced Security option.
    5. Try
      deleting the file

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jun 7, 2023
Thema:

How to fix preview functionality missing for PDF file types after Folder Options are done?

1. How to fix preview functionality missing for PDF file types after Folder Options are done? - Similar Threads - fix preview functionality

2. How to fix preview functionality missing for PDF file types after Folder Options are done?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to fix preview functionality missing for PDF file types after Folder Options are done?: I need help to Preview PDFs with File Explorer but below steps are not working.[Fix] PDF Thumbnail and Preview Not Showing in ExplorerPreliminary step – Enable thumbnails and preview handlers in ExplorerOpen Folder OptionsEnable “Show preview handlers in preview pane”Uncheck...
  3. How to fix preview functionality missing for PDF file types after Folder Options are done?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix preview functionality missing for PDF file types after Folder Options are done?: I need help to Preview PDFs with File Explorer but below steps are not working.[Fix] PDF Thumbnail and Preview Not Showing in ExplorerPreliminary step – Enable thumbnails and preview handlers in ExplorerOpen Folder OptionsEnable “Show preview handlers in preview pane”Uncheck...
  4. unable to preview PDF files in windows 11 file folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to preview PDF files in windows 11 file folder: I have a Windows 11 ThinkPad. I can preview almost any file type in windows folder.However, I am unable to preview PDF files in the windows 11 file folder.Please help me fix this problem. Thank you. Alfred...
  5. unable to preview PDF files in windows 11 file folder

unable to preview PDF files in windows 11 file folder: I have a Windows 11 ThinkPad. I can preview almost any file type in windows folder.However, I am unable to preview PDF files in the windows 11 file folder.Please help me fix this problem. Thank you. Alfred...
  6. "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option: Hey, got Acrobat installed but cant set it as default app to open pdf files.i have been in setting- default - "Choose Defaults by file type" ..., but there is no .pdf extension only .pdfxml right click on pdf file ---- NO OPTION TO CHANGE DEFAULT PROGRAMRight click pdf file -...
  7. "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option

"Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option: Hey, got Acrobat installed but cant set it as default app to open pdf files.i have been in setting- default - "Choose Defaults by file type" ..., but there is no .pdf extension only .pdfxml right click on pdf file ---- NO OPTION TO CHANGE DEFAULT PROGRAMRight click pdf file -...
  8. My PDF files have changed to File Type "Chrome HTML Document pdf" - Fixes?

My PDF files have changed to File Type "Chrome HTML Document pdf" - Fixes?: My PDF files have started showing up in Windows Explorer as to Google Chrome HTML Files - Fixes?File Type "Chrome HTML Document pdf" I've changed the default "Opens With "/app to PDF X, but the file icons still look like a Google HTML file instead of a PDF file type. I saw an...
  9. scanner app now missing file option pdf

scanner app now missing file option pdf: previously when scanning, you would be able; I have used the scan app previously and when you scanned items, you always had a choice of format to scan it to such as jpg, pdf, png, etc. now the pdf option is gone. I need the pdf option. Is there another app or option...
  10. Missing PDF Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing PDF Files: I just completed a routine Windows 10 update and now all of my PDF files are missing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-pdf-files/b00e0afe-3b2d-4856-b1a4-2edd7594f4c2