Windows 10: How to fix The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app on Windows

Discus and support How to fix The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app on Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft Windows 10 and 11 may be configured to only allow certain kinds of applications to be installed on the device. The restriction may be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 1, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to fix The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app on Windows

Microsoft Windows 10 and 11 may be configured to only allow certain kinds of applications to be installed on the device. The restriction may be intention, e.g., when policies are in place that limit what can be installed on devices, but sometimes also unintentional.

The following guide provides easy to follow step-by-step instructions to resolve the error message if it is unintentional. Windows users who try to install certain types of applications may receive the error message "The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app".

How to fix The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app on Windows app-trying-to-install-isnt-microsoft-verified.png

The dialog offers little information on why the installation was prevented. It states that "installing apps from the Store helps protect your PC and keep it running smoothly", and links to the Microsoft Store and the app recommendation settings. There is no option to bypass the restriction immediately.

Explanation for the error message

Microsoft Windows 10 and 11 systems can be configured to only allow software installations from the Microsoft Store. Any app that is not delivered via the Microsoft Store, or at least verified by Microsoft, can't be installed for as long as the setting is active.

Please note that this affects software installations only. Portable applications, those that do not need to be installed, can be run, even if they do not come from the Microsoft Store or are Microsoft-verified.

How to fix "the app you're trying to install" error on Windows

There is an easy option to resolve the issue and remove the limitation on Windows 10 and 11 systems. It should work in most cases, but there are additional options available for edge cases.

Here is how it works on Windows 10:

How to fix The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app on Windows install-apps-windows.png

1. Open the Start Menu and select Settings.
    2. Switch to Apps & features.
    3. Locate "Choose where to get apps"; it should be displayed at the top.
    4. Switch the setting to "anywhere" from "The Microsoft Store only (recommended)".

How to make the change on Windows 11:

How to fix The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app on Windows advanced-app-settings.png

1. Open the Start Menu and select Settings.
    2. Go to Apps.
    3. Select Advanced App Settings on the page that opens.
    4. Locate "Choose were to get apps".
    5. Change the setting to "anywhere".

The change takes effect immediately. Installations of non-Microsoft Store programs should be allowed now. The change can be undone at any time by reverting the setting to "The Microsoft Store only (Recommended)".

Tip: users who want to keep the restriction, but need to install a non-Store app occasionally, may toggle it off temporarily for the install and restore it after the installation finishes".

Advanced troubleshooting options

How to fix The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app on Windows group-policy-app-recommendations.png

Application recommendation settings may also be changed in the Group Policy. This is only available in Professional, Enterprise and Education editions of Windows, and not in Windows Home.

1. Open the Start menu.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and select Group Policy Editor from the results.
    3. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender SmartScreen > Explorer.
    4. Double-click on Configure App Install Control.
    5. The policy is inactive if it is set to "not configured" or "disabled.
    6. If it has the enabled status, it may be configured to "allow apps from Store only"; this setting prevents the installation of non-Store apps.
    7. Change the value to "turn off app recommendations" to disable the feature entirely. Note that you may also set the entire policy to either Disabled or Not Configured.
    8. Select OK to complete the process.
    9. A restart of the PC is required.

Windows 10 and 11 Home devices may configure the change in the Windows Registry directly.

How to fix The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app on Windows aicenabled.png

Here is how that is done:

1. Open the Start Menu.
    2. Type regedit.exe and select the Registry Editor result.
    3. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer.
    4. Right-click on Explorer and select New > String value.
    5. Name it AicEnabled.
    6. Double-click on AicEnabled and set its value to Anywhere.
    7. Close the Registry Editor and restart the PC.

Last but not least, there is a special version of Windows, S Mode, which prevents the installation of non-Store apps on Windows devices. Users may leave S Mode under Settings > System > Activation on Windows 11 or Settings > Update & Security > Activation under Windows 10. Note that it is not possible to go back to S Mode once the change has been made.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to fix The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app on Windows appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 1, 2023

2. Microsoft Adds Ability to Block Win32 Apps from Install on Windows 10

Totally agreed with the editorial, personally I have a phobia for apps, they take the control away from you. Taking about security risk, what about the apps of the Windows store that are in themselves a security risk, and if so, will Microsoft takes responsibility for that. In my newly install Windows got crippled by Windows apps, namely I cannot update the graphic driver, and I cannot restore Windows to an early point. It costs me A$150 to get it check out. And I am advised not to any of the Windows apps in the meantime, until Windows store got the fix. But they've never informed you that Windows store got corrupted in the first place, how are they going to inform you it got the fix?

Hossein Almet, Apr 1, 2023
  3. Nvidia Driver not a Microsoft-verified app

Hi,

My name is Mohammed Shuaib, an Independent Advisor & I suggest you follow the below steps to fix the issue of "It is not a Microsoft verified app popup".

Step 1:

Go to Search box next to Windows icon and then type Apps & features

Step 2:

Click to open Apps & features settings

Step 3:

Under Installing Apps drop-down select Allow apps from anywhere

Regards

Shuaib

Independent Advisor

MohammedShuaib1986, Apr 1, 2023
  4. dalchina Win User

How to fix The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app on Windows

dalchina, Apr 1, 2023
Thema:

1. How to fix The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app on Windows - Similar Threads - fix app you're

2. "The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app." How can I remove this...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app." How can I remove this...: I am trying to download normal games and discord but this window keeps popping up. I was trying to find the "Choose where to get apps" option too but was unable to. In the system, about, it says Windows 11 Home. I am so irritated. Please help me find the solution. Thank...
  3. The app you're trying to install isn't a microsoft verified app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The app you're trying to install isn't a microsoft verified app: This makes ZERO sense at all! For one thing the programs I install are APPLICATIONS, NOT apps! Is Windows really so ignorant it cannot tell the difference between a software program and an app, or is it that Microsoft is hell bent that we all are locked into using this app...
  4. The app you're trying to install isn't a microsoft verified app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The app you're trying to install isn't a microsoft verified app: This makes ZERO sense at all! For one thing the programs I install are APPLICATIONS, NOT apps! Is Windows really so ignorant it cannot tell the difference between a software program and an app, or is it that Microsoft is hell bent that we all are locked into using this app...
  5. The app you're trying to install isn't a microsoft verified app

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. "The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app"

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    "The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app": Hello, running latest version of Windows.Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 Installed on ‎5/‎17/‎2021 OS build 19042.985 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0 It won't let me install any apps from my browser to my computer, and there is no drop-down menu...
  7. The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app: The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app Edition: Windows 10 Pro Version: 20H2 Cannot install Dell drivers on my PC because each time a driver installation is performed, the installation is re-directed to the MS store that do not have a single...
  8. "The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app"

in Windows 10 Customization
    "The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app": Hello, Every time I try to run an installer or executable file, a pop-up shows saying "The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app" and it won't let me run the installer. Every answer I see says to go to the 'Choose where to get apps' dropdown in...
  9. The app you're trying to install isn't a microsoft verified app

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    The app you're trying to install isn't a microsoft verified app: I am operating with Windows 10 Home version 1909 the latest version of windows Trying to install the latest version of Java, and I get the following error "The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft verified app" I try to change my app recommendation settings...
  10. The app you're trying to install isn't a microsoft verified app

in Windows 10 Customization
    The app you're trying to install isn't a microsoft verified app: I am operating with Windows 10 Home version 1903 Trying to install TurboTax 2019, I get the following error "The app you're trying to install isn't a microsoft verified app" I try to change my app recommendation settings and there is NO option to change installation...