Windows 10: How to fix "the processor needs to have two or more cores to run Windows 11" issue in...

Discus and support How to fix "the processor needs to have two or more cores to run Windows 11" issue in... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft really did not make it easy to test its operating system in virtual machines, with its ridiculous hardware checks stopping tech enthusiasts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 8, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to fix "the processor needs to have two or more cores to run Windows 11" issue in...

Microsoft really did not make it easy to test its operating system in virtual machines, with its ridiculous hardware checks stopping tech enthusiasts from trying it. A few days ago, I told you about how to enable TPM 2.0 support in VMware Workstation Player. This is sort of the 2nd chapter of the story.

How to fix "the processor needs to have two or more cores to run Windows 11" issue in... the-processor-needs-to-have-two-or-more-cores-for-Windows-11.jpg

I installed the Windows Insider Preview build from an ISO, thinking that I could opt in to the Program for future updates. It would be convenient than downloading the ISO every time a new build is released. But to my surprise, the OS said that my VM did not meet the system requirements. This was getting silly, I had enabled TPM in VMware Workstation Player and Secure Boot was working too. My VM is perfectly capable of handling the operating system, it is after all running Windows 11 without any major hiccups.

How to fix "the processor needs to have two or more cores to run Windows 11" issue in... VMware-Workstation-Player-processor-cores.jpg

Unsure of how to proceed, I installed the PC Health Check app to see what is wrong. It told me that the processor needs to have two or more cores, and that my system, i.e. the virtual machine, had just one. I was confused, because it was only a few days ago that I had allocated 4GB of RAM, and 4 cores while setting up the virtual machine and installing the OS. To verify this, I shut down the VM and checked its settings, and I was right, it did have 4 processor cores enabled. So, why was Windows 11 not allowing me to participate in the Insider Preview Program?

A quick search on Google should help me, or so I believed. But nobody had reported such an issue, but I eventually found the fix in an unrelated thread at the VMware community forums.

How to fix "the processor needs to have two or more cores to run Windows 11" issue in VMware Workstation Player

1. Open the folder where your virtual machine's files are located.

2. Look for the VMX file and open it with Notepad.

3. Use Ctrl + F to find out if the following flags exist.

numvcpus
    cpuid.coresPerSocket

The first flag, which defines the number of virtual CPUs, should exist in all VMs. e.g. numvcpus = "4". The other flag is used to set the number of cores per socket, you may refer to this support article to determine the number of cores you can assign based on how many vCPUs you have.

In my case, the 2nd option wasn't listed in the settings file, so VMware was using just 1 socket and 1 core. I wanted to use 4 cores, so I set the value like this, cpuid.coresPerSocket = "4".

How to fix "the processor needs to have two or more cores to run Windows 11" issue in... How-to-fix-the-processor-needs-to-have-two-or-more-cores-for-Windows-11-issue.jpg

4. Save the VMX file, and close it.

5. Boot your VM and when run the PC Health Check app. It should pass the test.

How to fix "the processor needs to have two or more cores to run Windows 11" issue in... Windows-11-pc-health-check-requirements.jpg

The Windows Insider Preview check should also allow you to participate in the program, and you can opt in to receive the Dev Channel builds. Without compatible hardware, i.e. before the fix, you can only get Release Preview builds. Here's a screenshot from my VM's Windows Update section, which shows that the latest Windows 11 Insider Preview build 22494.1000 is being downloaded.

How to fix "the processor needs to have two or more cores to run Windows 11" issue in... Windows-11-insider-preview-program-in-virtual-machine.jpg

If for some reason the Preview Program still displays the error, despite the PC Health Check app saying your system can run Windows 11, I recommend running the open-source tool, WhyNotWin11. It will give you a more detailed list of the compatibility results than Microsoft's utility. E.g. If you accidentally set the amount of virtual RAM or storage or CPUs to a lower number than the minimum requirements, the program will tell you what the issue is.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to fix "the processor needs to have two or more cores to run Windows 11" issue in VMware Workstation Player appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 8, 2021

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Nov 8, 2021
  3. Needalink Win User
    Is it possible to run Windows 10 on Gen 2 Core i5-2400 processor?

Thanks

I agree Microsoft's statement is the processor is compatible.

I don't understand why they would say this, yet Intel does not list their 2nd Generation Core processors as compatible.

If there is an issue with these processors, I think MSFT is creating risk for their customers by claiming compatibility and I would like to understand the reason Intel doesn't list them.

I know when I tried to install Windows 10, it didn't go well. I can't say it was because of a compatibility issue, but it was a nightmare reverting to Windows 7, so I'm not willing to take another chance on the upgrade to 10 until I have a better understanding
    of the risk, even if MSFT says it is compatible.

Does anyone have knowledge of the potential issues with these 2nd Gen Core processors and whether there are any workarounds to assure a smooth upgrade to 10?

Needalink, Nov 8, 2021
  4. How to fix "the processor needs to have two or more cores to run Windows 11" issue in...

core 2 duo processor not supported

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are unable to connect to Core 2 duo processor as it is not supported. We will help you to resolve this issue.

• Please let us know, when exactly you are getting this error?

I suggest you to check with the System Requirements, refer to the below link:

Specifications

I suggest you to download official ISO media for Windows 10 from Microsoft and check:

Download official ISO media for Windows 10 from Microsoft

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 8, 2021
Thema:

How to fix "the processor needs to have two or more cores to run Windows 11" issue in...

1. How to fix "the processor needs to have two or more cores to run Windows 11" issue in... - Similar Threads - fix processor needs

2. When will Windows 11 Support more processors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When will Windows 11 Support more processors?: When will Windows 11 Support more processors?Has there been any news on windows 11 integrity updates and do they intend to expand the amount of compatible processors for Windows 11? I currently have a Intel Core i5 - 7400 CPU , this computer is only 5 years old found it in a...
  3. How to run Windows 11 22H2 on unsupported processors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to run Windows 11 22H2 on unsupported processors: I have two old computers behind my main one:1. My dad's old computer an MSI G31TM-P21 motherboard with an Intel Pentium Dual-Core x86-x64 processor2. My old computer with a sticking out CD drive an MSI G41TM-P34 motherboard with an Intel Celeron x86-x64 processorThe problem...
  4. How to run Windows 11 22H2 on unsupported processors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to run Windows 11 22H2 on unsupported processors: I have two old computers behind my main one:1. My dad's old computer an MSI G31TM-P21 motherboard with an Intel Pentium Dual-Core x86-x64 processor2. My old computer with a sticking out CD drive an MSI G41TM-P34 motherboard with an Intel Celeron x86-x64 processorThe problem...
  5. When will windows 11 support more processors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When will windows 11 support more processors?: Specifically the A8-6500. My older processor wasn't supported so I bought this one because it had more cores and I thought it would be supported. I was disappointed it wasn't supported and felt a little mislead by the required specifications of windows 11. At this point I am...
  6. When will windows 11 support more processors?

When will windows 11 support more processors?: Specifically the A8-6500. My older processor wasn't supported so I bought this one because it had more cores and I thought it would be supported. I was disappointed it wasn't supported and felt a little mislead by the required specifications of windows 11. At this point I am...
  7. How many core licenses needed for a 10core processor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How many core licenses needed for a 10core processor: I have a server computer with a Intel Xeon w-1290p server processor & was looking to buy windows 2019 server os. However, i am unclear how many core licenses would be needed for my 10 core / 20 thread processor. Any help with this would be appreciated. ps: is a server os...
  8. How many core licenses needed for a 10core processor

How many core licenses needed for a 10core processor: I have a server computer with a Intel Xeon w-1290p server processor & was looking to buy windows 2019 server os. However, i am unclear how many core licenses would be needed for my 10 core / 20 thread processor. Any help with this would be appreciated. ps: is a server os...
  9. How many core licenses needed for a 10core processor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Processors/Cores

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Processors/Cores: Hey, On my windows 10 Pc, i went on task manager and saw that i have 2 cores but 4 logical processors. Is there room to enable all 4 cores, are 2 cores deactivated?? How do I utilize all cores to 100% performance?...