Windows 10: How to fix when there are two Downloads folders and no Desktop.

Discus and support How to fix when there are two Downloads folders and no Desktop. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had this recurring problem yesterday, something I resolved some three months ago... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ineuw, Jan 23, 2019.

1. ineuw Win User

How to fix when there are two Downloads folders and no Desktop.

I had this recurring problem yesterday, something I resolved some three months ago (www.tenforums.com/general-support/116926-desktop-label-keep-changing-downloads.html )
    I didn't want to edit the registry, so I experimented and found the following method:
    The two Downloads folders were located in "C:\Users\\Desktop", but one was the system Downloads folder (identifiable by the down arrow icon), and the other was a regular folder with the same name.
    I renamed the regular folder to "Desktop" and after reboot, the Desktop recovered and displayed the system icon.

:)

ineuw, Jan 23, 2019

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jan 23, 2019
  3. Desktop folder now named Downloads

That sound incredibly similar to how I solved my issue.

You can do the exact same thing to fix your duplicate Desktop icon/folders.

• First, figure out which is the inauthentic Desktop icon/folder.
    • Second, find out where the inauthentic Desktop icon/folder is directing you.
    • Third, create a folder and rename it to the directory which the inauthentic Desktop icon/folder is linking to.
    • Lastly, merge the two folders or change the source or something of either the inauthentic Desktop icon/folder or the new folder.

I believe that should fix your problem without messing with the registry.

Anthony Falez, Jan 23, 2019
  4. mrgeek Win User

Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

"uhm that method does not work. i want to set folder view as List as default instead Details for all folders"
    Did you download and run Brink's .bat file in Step 1 ? Lacking that, look at the screens in post 3. In Step 5 'folders of this type' defaults to each of the Windows templates for Pictures, Music, etc. If you want ALL folders to have the same List view, r-click any folder in each of the 5 folders under This PC (Desktop does not apply) and hit 'Customize this folder'. Set to 'Optimize this folder for General Items". Then follow the screen in post 3 using List instead of Details in Step 1 and you should be good to go.

mrgeek, Jan 23, 2019
Thema:

1. How to fix when there are two Downloads folders and no Desktop. - Similar Threads - fix are Downloads

2. Two documents folder but no download folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two documents folder but no download folder: Two documents folder but no download folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-documents-folder-but-no-download-folder/49c1a334-0edf-4b92-97fe-88facca6347d
  3. Two documents folder but no download folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two documents folder but no download folder: Two documents folder but no download folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-documents-folder-but-no-download-folder/49c1a334-0edf-4b92-97fe-88facca6347d
  4. Two documents folder but no download folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Two Documents folders but no Desktop folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two Documents folders but no Desktop folder: After upgrading from win7 to win10, I found that there are two Documents folders in my user folder. One of these apparently is the Desktop folder containing all desktop files, but named Documents. I cannot change its name, and when trying to create a new Desktop folder,...
  6. Two Documents folders but no Desktop folder

Two Documents folders but no Desktop folder: After upgrading from win7 to win10, I found that there are two Documents folders in my user folder. One of these apparently is the Desktop folder containing all desktop files, but named Documents. I cannot change its name, and when trying to create a new Desktop folder,...
  7. Two Documents folders but no Desktop folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two...: i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two desktop folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-merged-download-folder-with-desktop-and-now/4ac092fb-97a0-4be6-9599-579770fc74ce
  9. i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two...

i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two...: i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two desktop folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-merged-download-folder-with-desktop-and-now/4ac092fb-97a0-4be6-9599-579770fc74ce
  10. Why two Download folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why two Download folders?: Hi, I'm curious to know why, since I'm the sole user and administrator on my pc, there are doubles of some folders/files/ For example, in File Explorer, there are folders under my user name, and then there are the exact same folders in This PC. Aren't they just taking up...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 2 downloads folder in explorer quick