Windows 10: How to fix Windows 10 Critical error: Your start menu isn't working.

Discus and support How to fix Windows 10 Critical error: Your start menu isn't working. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I wonder does everyone who has the Start Menu problem actually have dropbox installed as I do... 29140 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Almighty1, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Almighty1 Win User

How to fix Windows 10 Critical error: Your start menu isn't working.

I wonder does everyone who has the Start Menu problem actually have dropbox installed as I do...

:)

Almighty1, Nov 9, 2015
  2. Linney Win User
    Linney, Nov 9, 2015
  3. RFUK Win User
    Windows Update

Hi, No error code given. Only:- Critical Error - Your Start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it next time you sign in.

Your suggestion of a clean reload of Windows 10 isn't possible because with no start menu I can't get into settings.

RFUK, Nov 9, 2015
  4. cjr2115 Win User

Dropbox is not the problem. I have dropbox on my computer and have no problems. My husband's computer does not have dropbox. His is the one with the critical error.

cjr2115, Nov 17, 2015
  5. Almighty1 Win User
    Did you install dropbox before or after Windows 10? Maybe that makes the difference.

Almighty1, Nov 18, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    So what type of Start Menu problems ? Seems to be many posts here on that over time, start menu not working.

jds63, Nov 18, 2015
  7. Almighty1 Win User
    I'm not even the OP of this thread, somehow my comment in another thread in response to a video saying how to fix the start menu by uninstalling dropbox got moved to a new thread of it's own. In my case, I have no idea if it's dropbox or not except I keep my system up 24x7x365 and only reboot when some software update requires it so it's about 3 weeks or so and each time, after rebooting, my HDDhealth.exe will say it cannot write to C:\Program Files (x86)\HDDHealth\_identity.bin repetively on windows login and that's when the start menu stops working. It always happens a little less than 30 days after a install on September 12, 2015 and October 13, 2015 and October 26, 2015.

Almighty1, Nov 18, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

Think you sort of solved your own issue, if think about it, sounds like a conflict with other software. If remove whatever HHDhealth is and dropbox you will then know or run a clean boot.

jds63, Nov 18, 2015
  9. Almighty1 Win User
    It's not a conflict, it seems to be a Windows 10 permissions issue which is what the dropbox issue is too from what I read. HDDHealth.exe uses SMART built-into HDD/SSD's to monitor their health on a real time basis. The only thing is that file never gets modified or written other than when it was first installed as the last modification date is always the installation date as the copies it changes is in C:\Windows. I was commenting as I already fixed the problem with a in-place upgrade each time, it's faster than trying the other methods.

Almighty1, Nov 18, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    O.k. is a bit confusing as you are at the beginning even tho i do not see you as thread starter and you said it was moved by Admin.
    Just seemed as though start menu issues has happened from these other files.

jds63, Nov 18, 2015
  11. Almighty1 Win User
    I basically read all the forums here once a day and today, I noticed the topic and I was the threadstarter and there was a reply so I responded to it. Mines always says Start Menu has a critical error, never mentions Cortana like everyone else says even though my Cortana doesn't work either when it happens. In any case, the first time I saw mention of dropbox which was a week ago, I uninstalled and reinstalled it just to see if it is really the culprit.

Almighty1, Nov 18, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    Can not tell you reasons for post move. And, was it the reasons ? Many topics here lately on this issue, start menu not working sometimes or all the time.

jds63, Nov 18, 2015
  13. Almighty1 Win User

The issue is old except I think the dropbox discovery is about a week or two.... As for the reason for the post move, no idea either, just weird I didn't start the topic and it shows me as the thread starter and there was a reply so had to check it out. Normally when threads are moved, there is always a notification but this one seems like a post move from a thread, might have actually been better to just keep it in the original thread since now people will be reading about the same problem in two threads instead of one.

Almighty1, Nov 18, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    Well did change the whole look of Ten-Forums maybe that was it, not sure. Look through other posts on this issue will see some, even answered to one today for cortana and start menu not working.

jds63, Nov 18, 2015
  15. Almighty1 Win User
    Oh well, that's the reason I am waiting my 31 days after the last in-place upgrade on October 26, 2015 for TH2 as I want to see if the problem comes back before then. If it does, I'll just techbench ISO in-place upgrade as I already have the ISO, if not, I'll just see what the WU experience is like. I did the original Win10 upgrade from Win7 Home Premium on August 12, 2015 which was basically 14 days from the July 29, 2015 release date of RTM 10240 and when the WU shows up, it'll be 13 days from TH2 release date on November 25, 2015 and then I can thank it with thanksgiving the next day...

Almighty1, Nov 18, 2015
Thema:

1. How to fix Windows 10 Critical error: Your start menu isn't working. - Similar Threads - fix Critical error

2. Your start menu isn't working. Critical error?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Your start menu isn't working. Critical error?: Hello every one.This error is popping on my windows and I can't open anything I tried to do recovery but no luck with that.Any help I really need my files...
  3. Your start menu isn't working. Critical error?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Your start menu isn't working. Critical error?: Hello every one.This error is popping on my windows and I can't open anything I tried to do recovery but no luck with that.Any help I really need my files...
  4. Your start menu isn't working. Critical error?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Critical error - Your Start menu isn't working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Critical error - Your Start menu isn't working: I just got this message pop up this afternoon when I clicked on the Start button. I checked the latest updates installed on my laptop, see below. So what has caused this to happen and how do I fix it?...
  6. Critical error - Your Start menu isn't working

Critical error - Your Start menu isn't working: I just got this message pop up this afternoon when I clicked on the Start button. I checked the latest updates installed on my laptop, see below. So what has caused this to happen and how do I fix it?...
  7. Critical error - Your Start menu isn't working

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Critical Error - Your start menu isn't working.

Critical Error - Your start menu isn't working.: Hi all,. This is the umpteenth time I am facing problems in Windows 10. Bugs Bugs Bugs. What's the problem with you guys?. Either you are too lethargic to see the bugs, or you don't have a QC team at all. If windows 10 isn't fully ready why the hell are you forcing us to...
  9. Critical Error - Your Start Menu Isn't Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Critical Error - Your Start Menu Isn't Working: Hello I am just setting up a new PC for a user. I have added to domain but when I click on start I get "Critical Error - Your Start Menu Isn't Working. We'll try to fix it the next time you log in" I have researched this and tried many fixes such as booting in safe mode...
  10. How to fix "Critical Error" Your Start Menu Isn't Working?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to fix "Critical Error" Your Start Menu Isn't Working?: Firstly, I'd like to say thanks for being such a helpful forum, especially to leeches (like me *Sick). I'd really appreciate it if somebody could help me out. I installed Windows 10 on my desktop PC but after a while I kept getting the following error message so reverted...