Windows 10: How to fix Windows 10 File Explorer slowdown when copying files?

Discus and support How to fix Windows 10 File Explorer slowdown when copying files? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello! This is my first ever post on this website, so please excuse me if I accidentally don't follow some of the traditions/rules of this site.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Nesspurr, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Nesspurr Win User

How to fix Windows 10 File Explorer slowdown when copying files?

Hello! This is my first ever post on this website, so please excuse me if I accidentally don't follow some of the traditions/rules of this site.

Anyway, so here's why I'm asking about this. On Sunday night of this week I left with my family for a trip to the college my brother will be attending for Freshman Orientation. My File Explorer was acting fine then. Cut to now, 3 days later, and I'm trying to isolate a video for a Communications CBE onto its own flash drive by moving the other files on the drive to a different drive with more space. However, it is taking an unbelievably long time for the files to transfer. I'm looking at task manager and nothing is eating disk or memory space, and other programs on my computer are running fine as well. It's only slowing down when I am copying the files, and it hasn't moved this slowly before.

I've tried to do some basic troubleshooting, such as deleting the programs I downloaded to convert the video into a format required by the graders, but nothing seems to be working. What are some other, non-risky ways I can try and fix this?

Thank you in advance.

:)

Nesspurr, Jun 12, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 12, 2019
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Jun 12, 2019
  4. Wozzer Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

1. How to fix Windows 10 File Explorer slowdown when copying files? - Similar Threads - fix File Explorer

2. How to get File Explorer to skip all existing files when copying?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get File Explorer to skip all existing files when copying?: When copying files from a PC to an Android phone, Windows 10 would bring up the prompt below. If I check the 'Do this for all conflicts' and click on 'Don't copy', the whole copy Operation stops and Explorer doesn't try to copy the non existing files. Is this a bug? It seems...
  3. How to get File Explorer to skip all existing files when copying?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get File Explorer to skip all existing files when copying?: When copying files from a PC to an Android phone, Windows 10 would bring up the prompt below. If I check the 'Do this for all conflicts' and click on 'Don't copy', the whole copy Operation stops and Explorer doesn't try to copy the non existing files. Is this a bug? It seems...
  4. How to get File Explorer to skip all existing files when copying?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. HOw to fix file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HOw to fix file explorer: I know this has been solved: how to fix file explorer in Win10 from not opening. I have tried several methods but does not fix it. What is a sure suggestion for fixing it....
  6. HOw to fix file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HOw to fix file explorer: I know this has been solved: how to fix file explorer in Win10 from not opening. I have tried several methods but does not fix it. What is a sure suggestion for fixing it....
  7. HOw to fix file explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. How to fix File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to fix File Explorer: This is not an error report, File Explorer "warning as follows" :- Drive F: is full format drive or repair" keeps popping up notice "turn off notifications for File Explorer" The problem is that it is referring to A system created by the op system and should not have a drive...
  9. Copying files in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying files in File Explorer: Copying files in File Explorer is not working as expected. When I am trying to copy several files, it closes down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-files-in-file-explorer/05006916-943f-467b-ab5d-6043e51ce79d
  10. Win 10 File Explorer limitation with conflicts when copying files

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 File Explorer limitation with conflicts when copying files: In Win 7 File Explorer, when you copy files and there are conflicts, it shows a dialog box with the two files with dates and times AND it flags which one is newer. This last feature is something that has made life drastically easier for me and is not available in Win 10....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fix copying cancelling copying in file explorer

2. copy speed slowdown pbroblem