Windows 10: How to fix Windows 10 File Explorer slowdown when copying files?

Discus and support How to fix Windows 10 File Explorer slowdown when copying files? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello! This is my first ever post on this website, so please excuse me if I accidentally don't follow some of the traditions/rules of this site.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Nesspurr, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Nesspurr Win User

How to fix Windows 10 File Explorer slowdown when copying files?

Hello! This is my first ever post on this website, so please excuse me if I accidentally don't follow some of the traditions/rules of this site.

Anyway, so here's why I'm asking about this. On Sunday night of this week I left with my family for a trip to the college my brother will be attending for Freshman Orientation. My File Explorer was acting fine then. Cut to now, 3 days later, and I'm trying to isolate a video for a Communications CBE onto its own flash drive by moving the other files on the drive to a different drive with more space. However, it is taking an unbelievably long time for the files to transfer. I'm looking at task manager and nothing is eating disk or memory space, and other programs on my computer are running fine as well. It's only slowing down when I am copying the files, and it hasn't moved this slowly before.

I've tried to do some basic troubleshooting, such as deleting the programs I downloaded to convert the video into a format required by the graders, but nothing seems to be working. What are some other, non-risky ways I can try and fix this?

Thank you in advance.

:)

Nesspurr, Jun 12, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 12, 2019
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Jun 12, 2019
  4. Wozzer Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

1. How to fix Windows 10 File Explorer slowdown when copying files? - Similar Threads - fix File Explorer

2. how to fix file explorer not responding in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to fix file explorer not responding in windows 10: every time I try to use file explorer it hunts and hunts and eventually says not responding https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-file-explorer-not-responding-in-windows/b8543f09-128c-4223-8760-85ec810e7cc3"
  3. explorer.exe crashes when copying files between explorer windows

explorer.exe crashes when copying files between explorer windows: Hi all, I've got a number of users experiencing frequent (but not consistent) crash/reloads of explorer.exe when doing a drag/drop or copy/paste from one file explorer window to another. When it happens, the event log shows about 4-5 entries like the one below. Any ideas...
  4. Windows explorer crashes when copying files (corrupted heap?)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer crashes when copying files (corrupted heap?): When I try to copy files, explorer.exe crashes. Randomly in the middle of a file transfer, it looks like explorer refreshes and then the copying is no longer happening. I looked around in many forum posts and ended up following some instructions in other questions to...
  5. Fixing Windows 10 File Explorer Not Responding

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Fixing Windows 10 File Explorer Not Responding: File Explorer, also known as Windows Explorer, is the program that allows viewing folders and files and is also responsible for displaying the desktop. Sometimes File Explorer can encounter problems where it gets stuck in a “Not Responding” state. We’ll go through several...
  6. Copy and paste in Windows 10 file explorer resulting in corrupt copies

Copy and paste in Windows 10 file explorer resulting in corrupt copies: Hello, I encountered a very serious issue with trying to copy and paste files to a backup hard drive in Windows file explorer by using Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. Usually I determine whether my backups are complete and in agreement with each other by doing a casual comparison of...
  7. Fix Slow file copy speed in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Slow file copy speed in Windows 10: [ATTACH] We copy and move a lot of files around on our computer. And most of the copying takes place to and from external devices. If due to some issues, you face slow copy or move speed, then this post may [...] This post Fix Slow file copy speed in Windows 10 is from...
  8. Latest build -- file explorer not showing progress when copy files

in Windows 10 Support
    Latest build -- file explorer not showing progress when copy files: Hi there big big problem --latest (preview) build - file explorer not showing progress when copying / moving files. This - unless fixed soon will cause me to revert to previous build. Anybody else got this or is it just something with my update. (W10 Pro X-64)....
  9. File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying: Quite frankly I'm surprised no one has brought this up (or I am using the wrong search terms). When copying files in explorer, Windows 7 (I can't remember anything older than that LOL) I am asked what I want to do with copying files that have the same name as existing files...
  10. How is copying files in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    How is copying files in Windows 10?: In Windows 7, it can be a real bother to leave a folder to copy to another drive, with some files in the folder being new versions to replace versions already existing in a same-name folder on the drive that's being copied to... and at some point into the transfer a dialogue...