Windows 10: How to fix "You'll need a new app to open this calculator"

Discus and support How to fix "You'll need a new app to open this calculator" in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 is no stranger to errors. But this one was new, and not a blue screen error. When I tried to run the Calculator application, it told me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jul 3, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to fix "You'll need a new app to open this calculator"

Windows 10 is no stranger to errors. But this one was new, and not a blue screen error. When I tried to run the Calculator application, it told me this. "You'll need a new app to open this calculator". I need an app to open an app? What?

How to fix "You'll need a new app to open this calculator" How-to-fix-Youll-need-a-new-app-to-open-this-calculator.jpg

Notice that the OK button is greyed out.

So, I decided to search the Microsoft Answers community. That's where users go with their error messages, and sure enough I found a thread detailing the exact same problem. A couple of Microsoft Agents had posted some fixes, which I hoped would fix the issue.

Here's a list of what I tried, and didn't work:

1. The first places I looked for a fix was Windows Update and the Windows Store app. Since my Windows 10 is new (had reset the PC a few days ago), I assumed that there was some pending update or something. But it was all up to date.
    2. Running the System File Checker as an administrator is always a good step in troubleshooting Windows related errors. And, it turned out everything was fine, even though the Calculator app wouldn't run.
    3. Next I tried the DISM command in an elevated Command Prompt "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth". This too didn't resolve my problem.
    4. The Windows Store reset command, "Wsreset.exe" which you can execute from the "Run" tool (Win + R), also failed to help me.
    5. As a final resort, I tried running the following commands one by one, in an elevated Powershell:
      • Get-AppxPackage -Name Microsoft.WindowsCalculator | Remove-AppxPackage
      • Get-AppxPackage -Name Microsoft.WindowsCalculator | Add-AppxPackage

I rebooted the computer, hoping it would have fixed the issue. Running Calc.exe told me it didn't fix it. I wanted to "Reset" the Calculator from Settings > Apps & Features, but the app wasn't even listed there. This is when I began wondering if this was a more complicated issue than I had believed it to be.

How to fix You'll need a new app to open this calculator

And this moment was also when I found the fix, and I literally laughed out loud when it worked. Instead of closing the pop-up, I hovered over to the "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store" option and clicked on it. It opened the Windows Store app, and displayed the Windows Calculator page.

It had a get button, clicking which, showed an install option. I clicked that, and immediately got a notification in the Action Center telling me that Windows Calculator is ready to use, and showed a launch option. I didn't use that, I wanted Calc.exe to work when I clicked it, and sure enough it did.

The fix may sound really obvious to you, but the reason why we're sharing this is because it could potentially fix other default apps in Windows 10. Also, why on earth has Microsoft greyed out the OK button? Surely, there will be a few people, like me, who didn't realize that the "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store" is the fix. The phrasing of the option is also something that could confuse some users. Most people would assume that the error message is illogical. Something like "You need to download Calculator again" or "This app needs to be re-downloaded" could be better.

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to fix "You'll need a new app to open this calculator" appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jul 3, 2019

2. Calculator Will not Open

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you facing this issue on a local account or the Microsoft account?

• Are you facing this issue with the built in calculator or the calculator app?
    If it is a built in Calculator I would suggest you to check if you can open and check the status.

• Press Windows + R keys.

• Type calc and hit Enter
      and check the status if its opening.
    I would also suggest you to try creating a new user account
    and check if issue persists.

Click on the below link to check how to create new user account in Windows 10

Microsoft Support link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Note:Install all the pending updates after logging in to Microsoft account and check.

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jul 3, 2019
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Jul 3, 2019
  4. How to fix "You'll need a new app to open this calculator"

Window 10 Pro - Calculator error

Hi Suman,

I realize that you are facing issues with the calculator on Windows 10. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?

• Are you facing this issue on the calculator app or the built-in calculator?

Some problems can be fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and select Sign out. Once you’ve signed out, sign back in to your account.

To open the built-in calculator, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + R to get the run window.

• Type “calc” and hit enter to open the calculator.

If you are facing issue with the calculator app, then you will be able to solve some problems by running a troubleshooter that will automatically fix some common issues with Windows Store Apps. Once this is done check the status.

Open the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Click on Troubleshooting and click on
      View All.

Click on “Windows Store Apps” troubleshooter to fix problems with Windows Store Apps. Follow the on-screen directions to run this troubleshooter and restart the computer to check if this helps.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jul 3, 2019
Thema:

How to fix "You'll need a new app to open this calculator"

1. How to fix "You'll need a new app to open this calculator" - Similar Threads - fix You'll need

2. "You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender link" fix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender link" fix: Hi this post is to help people with windows 10 and 11 windows security not workingOn windows 11 do this1 launch powershell as an admin2 Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted3 Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  3. "You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender link" fix

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender link" fix: Hi this post is to help people with windows 10 and 11 windows security not workingOn windows 11 do this1 launch powershell as an admin2 Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted3 Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  4. You'll need a new app to open this

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    You'll need a new app to open this: How to turn off this pop up [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/youll-need-a-new-app-to-open-this/dd55ff4b-ccf0-4604-985d-379f6892ec63
  5. How to fix error: "You'll need a new app to open this steam link"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to fix error: "You'll need a new app to open this steam link": I keep getting this error when I am trying to launch the .exe of "The Walking Dead" video game. How to fix it? I have tried resetting the windows store cache and checking the .exe and .exefile registry values. Any other way to try and fix? submitted by /u/ParsleyAmazing3260...
  6. you'll need a new app to open this

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    you'll need a new app to open this: Just got update to Windows 10. Trying to read some of the tips, but every time I click on ANYTHING it gives me the message "you'll need a new app to open this" but I can't seem to get the app, whatever app it is. When I click onFeedback I get the same message. I'm looking...
  7. You'll need need a new app to open this : windowsdefender

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    You'll need need a new app to open this : windowsdefender: Good Day, I just got a new computer with a windows 10 home in it. I want to turn off windows defender but I cant seem to turn it off. It gives a pop up that says 'You'll need need a new app to open this : windowsdefender'. This is affecting other window settings I wish to...
  8. You'll need a new app to open this ...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You'll need a new app to open this ...: How do I disable this when launching games? 117704
  9. You'll need a new app to open this ...

in Windows 10 Support
    You'll need a new app to open this ...: How do I disable this when launching games? 117704
  10. "You'll need a new app to open this..."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "You'll need a new app to open this...": Hi all, my first post! I recently installed "WhatsApp" on my laptop (running Windows 10). Soon thereafter I started getting the following behavior: When opening a new tab in Firefox (54.0.1, 32-bit), I'd get a little popup that says "You'll need a new app to open this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ms-calculator link

2. ms calculator link

3. ms-calculator-link

4. remove ms-calculator link,
  5. youll need a new app to open this calculator,
  6. youll need a new app to open this ms-calculator link,
  7. Windows 10 calculator error: Youll need a new app to open this calculator