Windows 10: How to flash an internal ssd partition with a linux iso in windows

Discus and support How to flash an internal ssd partition with a linux iso in windows in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone so i was learning how to dual boot and want to flash an arch linux iso on my internal partition on win 10 can anyone advise me how to do it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ChristopherLowe4, Oct 24, 2021.

1. How to flash an internal ssd partition with a linux iso in windows

Hi everyone so i was learning how to dual boot and want to flash an arch linux iso on my internal partition on win 10 can anyone advise me how to do it as rufus and etcher sometimes have the issue of corruption when flashing to an internal partition.

:)

ChristopherLowe4, Oct 24, 2021
  2. jimbo45 Win User

A way to install W10 on a external SSD with Linux on internal SSD?

Hi there

@doriandiaconu

Windows2GO is quite easy to do -- works perfectly :

Here's how to do it easily :

so assuming you have the Windows iso and a spare ssd external USB drive

target Windows partition -> drive W
    target EFI partition -> drive S
    Source windows iso image drive Q

i've put quotes around the dism commands to stop "smiley's" being generated in the command lines.

1) create EFI partition

in administrator mode : -- diskpart,list disk select disk nn clean convert gpt, create partition efi size 250
    format fs=fat32
    assign letter=S

2) create Windows target partition -- still in diskpart create partition primary, format fs=ntfs quick
    assign letter=W, exit

3) mount the windows iso -- simply click on the iso with file explorer -- will mount - here I assume it's Q

4) you might have more than one windows image on the iso - especially if you created the iso from UUPDUMP so you need to display what windows versions are on the iso image :

"dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:Q:\sources\install.wim"
    in my case it shows that windows for workstations has index 2 so that's the version I'll use on WTG drive

5) use dism to get the image on to the target drive

"dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:Q:\sources\install.wim /Index:2 /ApplyDir:W:"

On a decent SSD could take around 10 mins for this step

5) now create the boot entry on the target drive in the UEFI :

W:\Windows\System32\bcdboot W:\Windows /f UEFI /s S:

note - you must run this command using the program from the image copied to the target Windows drive--not your running Windows system or the mounted iso.

Now all done -- simply re-boot your external Windows to Go drive - install and update at will.

@Megahertz - if you run Windows2Go on an SSD connected to the machine via UXB3/USB3.1/USBC >SATA connector Windows runs perfectly fast enough on an external device as Win2GO - probably similar to internal HDD's - and if your internal HDD's are older Spinners (non SSD / NVme) then it will run a lot faster.

(If boot fails use Macrium Free stand alone recovery media and use "Fix Windows Boot problems" - this for me has always worked - and I've done a load of these "WintoGO" things.

However depending on what you use most - I'd have LINUX on the external drive and Windows on the internal one -- or run Windows as a VM on a Linux Host - simple to do - or run Linux on a Windows Host.

You've loads of choices here.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 24, 2021
  3. Bootable USB with ISO - What am I missing?

Have you copied all the files from the ISO to the flash drive? I can't see that step.

After step 10. (after formatting and making it the active partition)

Copy files from the ISO to flash drive.

Open CMD as administrator.

navigate to the flash drive, lets call it drive Z and type in the following commands.
    Z:
    cd boot
    bootsect.exe /nt60 z:
    exit

Then try again.

slyfox2151, Oct 24, 2021
  4. How to flash an internal ssd partition with a linux iso in windows

DualBooting Gentoo Linux with Windows 10

Hello, a few weeks ago I backed up my Windows 10 PC, so that I could install Gentoo Linux. This backup includes a full backup of my entire Windows 10 System onto my 1 TB Toshiba External Hard Drive. This also includes a system image, and a separate backup
    of my Windows Registry. Then I created an installation media ISO via the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, with it set to create for "This PC". I used Rufus 2.12 to attach the ISO image to my 16 GB usb flash drive, with it set to create for UEFI gpt, but it
    ended up creating it with an mbr instead, also my SSD had an mbr partitioning scheme at the time, and I wanted my SSD to have a gpt partitioning scheme. Before I went through the Gentoo Installation process, I of course made sure the usb was bootable and
    it was, although like I said before my SSD was still an mbr partition and I did create the ISO using "This PC", also I had my CSM set to Legacy mode on my motherboard which is off now. I also have a Windows Repair Disk that I had created a few days earlier.

For my Gentoo Linux installation, I have the GPT partition scheme setup like so:

• /dev/sda1 - efi Fat32
    • /dev/sda2 - swap
    • /dev/sda3 - root ext4
    • unallocated
    The file system looks like this if you need to know:

/dev/sda3 is mounted on to the root of the file system /,

Which has the following directories mounted on the file system

• /boot - has /boot/efi directory;has /dev/sda1 mounted on to the /efi directory
    • /proc
    • /sys
    • /dev
    I ended up using rEFInd as my default boot manager, so those are the files on my efi partition.

What I want to know is how can I install Windows 10 to the unallocated portion on my SSD?

• Where can I download a new ISO for Windows 10 on Linux, if I need a new one?
    • Do I need to create a new partition within the unallocated portion of my SSD, before or after boot the Windows Installation media?
    • How many partitions do I need for the Windows partitions?
    I'm sure that I have left out some information so just ask if you need anything else,

Thanks,

AspieHacker, Oct 24, 2021
Thema:

How to flash an internal ssd partition with a linux iso in windows

1. How to flash an internal ssd partition with a linux iso in windows - Similar Threads - flash internal ssd

2. Clone a Windows 11 external SSD installation to internal ssd partition of Steam Deck

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clone a Windows 11 external SSD installation to internal ssd partition of Steam Deck: Let me describe what I currently have and what I would like to do. I have my Steam Deck set up with Windows 11 installed on an external SSD. When I want to use Windows on my Steam Deck, I shut down the Deck, plug in the SSD, start up, and I'm running Windows.Here's what I...
  3. How to install Windows 10 over Linux with an iso?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install Windows 10 over Linux with an iso?: I'm away from home so I don't have my Windows repair USB.My laptop is currently running MX Linux - it came with Windows 10.I have my Windows 10 iso.Can I install Windows 10 without the repair USB?...
  4. How to install Windows 10 over Linux with an iso?

How to install Windows 10 over Linux with an iso?: I'm away from home so I don't have my Windows repair USB.My laptop is currently running MX Linux - it came with Windows 10.I have my Windows 10 iso.Can I install Windows 10 without the repair USB?...
  5. How to install Windows 10 over Linux with an iso?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. How to flash an internal ssd partition with a linux iso in windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to flash an internal ssd partition with a linux iso in windows: Hi everyone so i was learning how to dual boot and want to flash an arch linux iso on my internal partition on win 10 can anyone advise me how to do it as rufus and etcher sometimes have the issue of corruption when flashing to an internal partition....
  7. How to flash an internal ssd partition with a linux iso in windows

How to flash an internal ssd partition with a linux iso in windows: Hi everyone so i was learning how to dual boot and want to flash an arch linux iso on my internal partition on win 10 can anyone advise me how to do it as rufus and etcher sometimes have the issue of corruption when flashing to an internal partition....
  8. A way to install W10 on a external SSD with Linux on internal SSD?

A way to install W10 on a external SSD with Linux on internal SSD?: Is there a way that wouldn t screw up dual boot? How about the drivers? i have USBC interface on both the laptop and ext SSD. And I want to install W10 on the SSD while having Fedora on the internal SSD. 180379
  9. How to verify ISO images "Linux"

How to verify ISO images "Linux": I am hoping that this is appropriate to post this here and if not could someone kindly tell me where to go : ) to ask tis question? Years ago I created a live CD but I am now going to create a live bootable USB. Reading up on it it seems that it highly suggested to verify the...
  10. Linux on a flash drive

Linux on a flash drive: Is there a tutorial on how to setup Linux Distro on a large flashdrive where you can add software to the flash drive and a printer. That when you close the linux version and remove the flashdrive and then decide to use it later, all the software is still there? 72492