Windows 10: How to force applications to open on primary monitor in Windows 10

Discus and support How to force applications to open on primary monitor in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]If when you open a Windows 10 app or program, it opens on the […] This article How to force applications to open on primary monitor in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jan 14, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to force applications to open on primary monitor in Windows 10

WinClub, Jan 14, 2021

2. Why are all open windows forced to primary monitor on monitor power up.

Why has windows 10 started to force all of my open windows onto my primary monitors when I power them up?

I have used a two monitor setup for roughly 15 years and only recently have I started seeing this behavior. I have done the following and the issue still persists:

1. Update display drivers.
    2. Uninstall display device, restart, reinstall.
    3. Update monitor firmware.
    4. Change device resolution and refresh rate.
    5. Change primary monitor.

I have this issue on 2 PCs with different graphics cards. I do not have this issue on 2 older PCs also with different graphics cards. I spoke with support chat and they confirmed that the same thing happened to them on their device and tried telling me that
    this was expected behavior.

TheNapTime, Jan 14, 2021
  3. Force app to open on primary monitor

Hello, every time I open Blender 3D it opens on my secondary monitor, which is a hassle I do not want, how can I make it so that it opens on my primary monitor? the method of dragging the application to the monitor and closing it does not work.

BilobedTech55, Jan 14, 2021
  4. Noor_Azam Win User

Applications Not Opening on my External Monitor

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you are able to view the desktop and task bar on the external monitor, I suggest you to drag the applications from the laptop screen on to the external monitor and check the result.

However, Windows 10 will open the applications on the primary monitor.

Windows retains the position of the application that is opened, if the application is opened and dragged to the secondary monitor, upon closing the application and reopening it. The application will open on the secondary monitor.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Noor_Azam, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

1. How to force applications to open on primary monitor in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - force applications open

2. Applications on second monitor switch to primary monitor when monitor times out.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Applications on second monitor switch to primary monitor when monitor times out.: So basically ill have some applications open on my second monitor such as chrome, discord, spotify, and then my primary monitor will have something else such as a game.However when my monitor screens timeout after a certain amount of time without activity, upon moving my...
  3. Applications on second monitor switch to primary monitor when monitor times out.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Applications on second monitor switch to primary monitor when monitor times out.: So basically ill have some applications open on my second monitor such as chrome, discord, spotify, and then my primary monitor will have something else such as a game.However when my monitor screens timeout after a certain amount of time without activity, upon moving my...
  4. Force all applications to open on the primary monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Force all applications to open on the primary monitor.: Is there a way to force all applications to open on the primary monitor using a reg key entry or something similar that wouldn't require user interaction?...
  5. Force all applications to open on the primary monitor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Force all applications to open on the primary monitor.: Is there a way to force all applications to open on the primary monitor using a reg key entry or something similar that wouldn't require user interaction?...
  6. Force all applications to open on the primary monitor.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Help with having an application always open on primary monitor?

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with having an application always open on primary monitor?: Hello. I use two monitors. I always want my internet browser window to open on the primary monitor. I know one solution is to drag the window to the right monitor, close it, and then it will remember that next time. Problem is, I actively use my internet browser on my...
  8. How to change Primary and Secondary monitor on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Primary and Secondary monitor on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you have a dual monitor setup and you want to change primary and secondary monitor on Windows 10, here is what you can do. There is no need to install any third-party software since it is possible to get [...] This post How to change Primary and Secondary...
  9. Why are all open windows forced to primary monitor on monitor power up.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why are all open windows forced to primary monitor on monitor power up.: Why has windows 10 started to force all of my open windows onto my primary monitors when I power them up? I have used a two monitor setup for roughly 15 years and only recently have I started seeing this behavior. I have done the following and the issue still persists:...
  10. Popup windows open on primary monitor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Popup windows open on primary monitor: I know this has been asked in the past, but I'm wondering if there has been any work done to try and resolve... I use a dual screen PC and a website that brings up a popup window to confirm an action and it always opens the popup on the primary monitor, even though my main...