Windows 10: How to force applications to open on primary monitor in Windows 10

Discus and support How to force applications to open on primary monitor in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]If when you open a Windows 10 app or program, it opens on the […] This article How to force applications to open on primary monitor in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jan 14, 2021 at 6:57 AM.

1. WinClub New Member

How to force applications to open on primary monitor in Windows 10

2. Why are all open windows forced to primary monitor on monitor power up.

Why has windows 10 started to force all of my open windows onto my primary monitors when I power them up?

I have used a two monitor setup for roughly 15 years and only recently have I started seeing this behavior. I have done the following and the issue still persists:

1. Update display drivers.
    2. Uninstall display device, restart, reinstall.
    3. Update monitor firmware.
    4. Change device resolution and refresh rate.
    5. Change primary monitor.

I have this issue on 2 PCs with different graphics cards. I do not have this issue on 2 older PCs also with different graphics cards. I spoke with support chat and they confirmed that the same thing happened to them on their device and tried telling me that
    this was expected behavior.

3. Force app to open on primary monitor

Hello, every time I open Blender 3D it opens on my secondary monitor, which is a hassle I do not want, how can I make it so that it opens on my primary monitor? the method of dragging the application to the monitor and closing it does not work.

BilobedTech55, Jan 14, 2021 at 6:59 AM
  4. Noor_Azam Win User

Applications Not Opening on my External Monitor

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you are able to view the desktop and task bar on the external monitor, I suggest you to drag the applications from the laptop screen on to the external monitor and check the result.

However, Windows 10 will open the applications on the primary monitor.

Windows retains the position of the application that is opened, if the application is opened and dragged to the secondary monitor, upon closing the application and reopening it. The application will open on the secondary monitor.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Thema:

1. How to force applications to open on primary monitor in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - force applications open

2. Icons to primary monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons to primary monitor: I added a monitor to my tv/monitor for a dual screen setup. Windows automatically made the pc monitor the main screen and moved all my icons there. I want the tv as main so I changed it and the icons moved automatically. I decided I didn't like the tv as the main and once...
  3. How to let the second monitor display part of primary monitor?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to let the second monitor display part of primary monitor?: Hello. I was trying to play resident evil 6 splitscreen with my wife yesterday on my pc. She said she doesn't like to see the full screen and only wants to see her players screen which is the lower half. So I brought my second screen and wanted it just to magnify the lower...
  4. Windows 10: Force Program to Open in Same Monitor Every Time

Windows 10: Force Program to Open in Same Monitor Every Time: I know similar questions have been asked. I'm curious as to why Windows 10 has a hard problem with this as not all programs will stay in the same monitor after dragging the program to the selected monitor, "restore down" and close the program. It works for "some" programs,...
  5. How to change Primary and Secondary monitor on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Primary and Secondary monitor on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you have a dual monitor setup and you want to change primary and secondary monitor on Windows 10, here is what you can do. There is no need to install any third-party software since it is possible to get [...] This post How to change Primary and Secondary...
  6. Dual displays: Application windows in second monitor are all moved to primary monitor after...

Dual displays: Application windows in second monitor are all moved to primary monitor after...: I have a dual monitor setup and I use an application (ninjatrader) that includes multiple windows. If I position all the windows where I want them (i.e. so that they're all visible in the right places, non are overlapping etc.), but then power down the monitors at night so...
  7. Open Shell 4.4.131 only works on primary monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open Shell 4.4.131 only works on primary monitor: Figured I would move up to Open Shell today, however on my dual monitor setup it only works on the primary monitor and I get the native win10 v1809 start menu on monitor number 2. I'm using Actual Multiple Monitors as well. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm back on Classic...
  8. Why are all open windows forced to primary monitor on monitor power up.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why are all open windows forced to primary monitor on monitor power up.: Why has windows 10 started to force all of my open windows onto my primary monitors when I power them up? I have used a two monitor setup for roughly 15 years and only recently have I started seeing this behavior. I have done the following and the issue still persists:...
  9. Applications Not Opening on my External Monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Applications Not Opening on my External Monitor: I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Win 10. I have a Samsung external monitor attached via HDMI. My background display and task bar DO appear on the external monitor, but when I open applications such as Outlook, Google Chrome, etc., they open on the laptop...
  10. Popup windows open on primary monitor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Popup windows open on primary monitor: I know this has been asked in the past, but I'm wondering if there has been any work done to try and resolve... I use a dual screen PC and a website that brings up a popup window to confirm an action and it always opens the popup on the primary monitor, even though my main...