Windows 10: How to force Chrome to open a PDF file

Discus and support How to force Chrome to open a PDF file in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; When reviewing my broadband bill, Chrome insists on saving the PDF file before I can review it but the file displays in Edge without saving. How can I... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Steve C, Aug 15, 2019 at 2:27 AM.

1. Steve C Win User

How to force Chrome to open a PDF file

When reviewing my broadband bill, Chrome insists on saving the PDF file before I can review it but the file displays in Edge without saving. How can I force Chrome to always display a PDF file without needing to save it first?

:)

2. Trouble Opening PDF's

Hi Parker,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Does the issue persist in Edge browser?
    • Do you get similar error when you open the PDF file in Adobe reader?

Check if you are facing similar issue in Edge browser.

Step 1: Open PDF file in Adobe reader and check if you are facing similar issue.

To open PDF file directly from Adobe reader, follow the steps below:

• Open Adobe application and click on Edit.
    • Click on Preferences and select Internet.
    • Uncheck Display PDF in Browser option and check if you are able to open the PDF file without getting the error code.

Step 2: If you are able to open PDF file in Adobe reader, I suggest you to
    Turn off Internet Explorer,
    enable it again and check if the issue is resolved.

For further assistance, I suggest you to post your query in Adobe support forum.

https://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_reader_forums

Thank you.

3. Open PDF in Chrome

Open Start > Settings > Apps > Default apps

Scroll to the bottom

Click Choose default apps by file type

Scroll down to PDF

Click the currently assigned application

Choose Chrome if its listed.

See if that works.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 15, 2019 at 2:30 AM
  4. Edwin Win User

Edge: Force Download PDF Files, or Open in Reader?

How to force Chrome to open a PDF file [​IMG]

Thema:

1. How to force Chrome to open a PDF file - Similar Threads - force Chrome open

2. All PDF files converted to CHROME files / links

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All PDF files converted to CHROME files / links: Hello. I was just filling out an online form, uploaded a PDF document which for some reason converted to a CHROME file, and now every PDF file on my entire bleeding PC is a CHROME file. Is there a way to restore all these CHROME files back to PDF files and how can I prevent...
  3. How To Force Open Link In Same Tab In Google Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    How To Force Open Link In Same Tab In Google Chrome: Okay so check this out: So I am aware that If I press Ctrl+Click on a link, it will open in a new tab, yet I'm not asking for that. There are certain websites that when I only Left Click a link, it automatically opens in a new tab. So now I have two tabs open; the same page...
  4. Opening PDF files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Opening PDF files: Hi. I'm having trouble opening PDF files on my laptop, Windows 10. Once I click on the file, the toolbar shows a file named "Untitled". Instead of the file opening up, the toolbar starts to shake back and forth uncontrollably. My only option is to close down the whole...
  5. open pdf files using Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    open pdf files using Edge: I cannot open a PDF online. I am using Win 10 and Adobe Acrobat 9. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/open-pdf-files-using-edge/c94f483d-1aba-4fca-acad-949ae4d5e628
  6. PDF File won't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PDF File won't open: how do I find out what is preventing my pdf file from opening? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/pdf-file-wont-open/02ff285c-65b7-4cb3-98bb-a0b0ad44717f
  7. opening pdf file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    opening pdf file: I am suddenly unable to open pdf files on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/opening-pdf-file/f2a05bcd-930c-4f64-818e-88f726258f03
  8. unable to view, print, open pdf file in google chrome in window 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    unable to view, print, open pdf file in google chrome in window 10: i nsaved and downloaded a pdf and html file in windows 10 from a app website and after i download it i try to open or view aand it just downloads again. and in the app itself it wont print...
  9. Edge: Force Download PDF Files, or Open in Reader?

in Browsers and Email
    Edge: Force Download PDF Files, or Open in Reader?: ... Or is there anyway I could use adobe reader to open PDF documents in EDGE? ... Is there a way to force Edge to download PDF Files, or open in Acrobat Reader? 13696
  10. Cannot Open PDF Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Open PDF Files: I am unable to open PDF files that are sent to be via e.mail. This is frustrating as they are important documents that I need. Can anyone help me please. Thank you in advance. 65794