Windows 10: How to force Chrome to open a PDF file

Discus and support How to force Chrome to open a PDF file in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; When reviewing my broadband bill, Chrome insists on saving the PDF file before I can review it but the file displays in Edge without saving. How can I... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Steve C, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Steve C Win User

How to force Chrome to open a PDF file

When reviewing my broadband bill, Chrome insists on saving the PDF file before I can review it but the file displays in Edge without saving. How can I force Chrome to always display a PDF file without needing to save it first?

:)

Steve C, Aug 15, 2019

2. Trouble Opening PDF's

Hi Parker,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Does the issue persist in Edge browser?
    • Do you get similar error when you open the PDF file in Adobe reader?

Check if you are facing similar issue in Edge browser.

Step 1: Open PDF file in Adobe reader and check if you are facing similar issue.

To open PDF file directly from Adobe reader, follow the steps below:

• Open Adobe application and click on Edit.
    • Click on Preferences and select Internet.
    • Uncheck Display PDF in Browser option and check if you are able to open the PDF file without getting the error code.

Step 2: If you are able to open PDF file in Adobe reader, I suggest you to
    Turn off Internet Explorer,
    enable it again and check if the issue is resolved.

For further assistance, I suggest you to post your query in Adobe support forum.

https://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_reader_forums

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Aug 15, 2019
  3. Open PDF in Chrome

Open Start > Settings > Apps > Default apps

Scroll to the bottom

Click Choose default apps by file type

Scroll down to PDF

Click the currently assigned application

Choose Chrome if its listed.

See if that works.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 15, 2019
  4. Edwin Win User

Edge: Force Download PDF Files, or Open in Reader?

How to force Chrome to open a PDF file [​IMG]

Edwin, Aug 15, 2019
Thema:

1. How to force Chrome to open a PDF file - Similar Threads - force Chrome open

2. How to allow or block Google Chrome from opening PDF files externally

in Windows 10 News
    How to allow or block Google Chrome from opening PDF files externally: [ATTACH]If you do not want to open PDF files externally when using Google Chrome, you can follow this guide. This detailed guide explains how you can allow or block Google Chrome from opening PDF files externally. In other words, you can bypass Google Chrome and open PDF...
  3. Preview PDF (Chrome) in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Preview PDF (Chrome) in File Explorer?: My Windows 10 computer is fairly new to me; doesn't have a lot of extraneous applications. It uses Chrome to open PDFs; so the icon next to my documents is the Chrome circle when I'm in File Explorer. Within File Explorer, with the Preview Pane as my View choice, I'm not...
  4. No longer able to open chrome pdf files attached to an email

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No longer able to open chrome pdf files attached to an email: I am no longer able to open chrome pdf files from an emailIt worked earlier this week, using the mail app on a Microsoft laptop. I tried saving the files to my computer but it still did not work. I am in school so a lot of pdfs are getting sent to me and I need to be able to...
  5. pdf files opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pdf files opening: When I try to open my statement in pdf it want me to save it, but I just want to open it and read it. Is there anything I have to do in setting to be able to just read pdf files? Thank you....
  6. PDF FILES NOT OPENING

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PDF FILES NOT OPENING: HI, J HAVE WINDOWS10. PREVIOUSLY ALL WAS OK SINCE LAST 4 DAYS PDF FILES ARE NOT OPENING, IN ANY SOFTWARE IT IS OLY OPINING IN MICORSOFT ADGE ON DESKTOP OR IN SOFTWARE PDF FILES IS NOT OPEN I HAVE UNINSTALLED ACROBATE REDER DC AND REINSTALLED, PROBLEMS NOT SOLVE...
  7. How To Force Open Link In Same Tab In Google Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    How To Force Open Link In Same Tab In Google Chrome: Okay so check this out: So I am aware that If I press Ctrl+Click on a link, it will open in a new tab, yet I'm not asking for that. There are certain websites that when I only Left Click a link, it automatically opens in a new tab. So now I have two tabs open; the same page...
  8. Opening PDF files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Opening PDF files: Hi. I'm having trouble opening PDF files on my laptop, Windows 10. Once I click on the file, the toolbar shows a file named "Untitled". Instead of the file opening up, the toolbar starts to shake back and forth uncontrollably. My only option is to close down the whole...
  9. opening pdf file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    opening pdf file: I am suddenly unable to open pdf files on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/opening-pdf-file/f2a05bcd-930c-4f64-818e-88f726258f03
  10. Edge: Force Download PDF Files, or Open in Reader?

in Browsers and Email
    Edge: Force Download PDF Files, or Open in Reader?: ... Or is there anyway I could use adobe reader to open PDF documents in EDGE? ... Is there a way to force Edge to download PDF Files, or open in Acrobat Reader? 13696