Windows 10: How to force device to to work as a tablet/phone?

Discus and support How to force device to to work as a tablet/phone? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have just purchased the following: 10.1 Accessories It all works fine, apart from the fact I can't seem to install this (the main reason... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by youradds, Jan 9, 2018.

1. youradds Win User

How to force device to to work as a tablet/phone?

Hi,

I have just purchased the following:

10.1 Accessories

It all works fine, apart from the fact I can't seem to install this (the main reason for getting it!)

Your request appears to be from an automated process

Apparently, it will detect that I'm on a laptop/PC , even when its actually a tablet with a keyboard attached. Is there a way around this? Maybe a setting here I can tell windows to act as a mobile instead of a laptop? I can't believe PayPal have made such a screw up with this - as I have GPS, Bluetooth, a dongle for internet on the way... and all I need now is the darn app to install!

Thanks in advance

Andy

:)

youradds, Jan 9, 2018

2. How to let Win10 Tablet as a device to a pc

This question is outside the scope of this site (for consumers) and to be sure you get the best (and quickest) answer it should be asked either on Technet (for IT Pro's) or MSDN (for developers)
    Technet forumss/en-US/home

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jan 9, 2018
  3. CasperZhu Win User
    How to let Win10 Tablet as a device to a pc

hi, I am planning to let my win10 tablet running as a printer, when connecting to a pc, via the mini usb port (otg port). It is in order to collect the printing data from the pc. I am studying the usbfn device programming.

However, when I connect my tablet to the pc, nothing happened both in tablet and pc. I cannot catch any information from usb bus.

My question:

1. Can win10 tablet running as a device to a pc? Such as a harddisk.

2. If above 1 is Yes, how should I do or where I could find the reference information.

Thanks.

CasperZhu, Jan 9, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

Perhaps not available in your area.

Edwin, Jan 9, 2018
  5. I would call vendor. They very much state this is a laptop although I do see they throw around the word Tablet.

How to force device to to work as a tablet/phone? [​IMG]

Caledon Ken, Jan 9, 2018
  6. Samuria Win User
    The browser send a message saying it's mobile, PC etc you may be able to change that on android you have a settings to request desktop site

Samuria, Jan 9, 2018
  7. spunk Win User
    spunk, Jan 10, 2018
  8. youradds Win User

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yeah, they do seem to throw the word tablet and laptop around :/
    @spunk - I have tried doing that, but still no joy *cry

I will contact PayPal today and see what they say, and also the manufacturer and see what they make of it (hopefully they are good at replying!). Otherwise it looks like I'll have to spend another £100 on an Android tablet, just to us that one app *Sad

Cheers

Andy

youradds, Jan 10, 2018
  9. gpstoloff Win User
    Andy, mate, when PayPal says that it will install on a mobile or tablet, it means that their Android or iOS versions will install on Android tablets or cellphones, or on iPads or iPhones. However, it also has a Windows version that should run on a PC, in either PC or tablet modes.

Their Windows version is looking for a Windows OS, so it should install on your machine and connect to your card readers via Bluetooth v4. Your manufacturer is actually correct -- there's no functional difference between a Windows laptop and a Windows tablet with keyboard.

I tried downloading the app from the Windows Store and installed it on my Windows 10 FCU tablet with keyboard (2 GB RAM, 64 GB SSD, 32-bit Intel Atom (5th gen) -- similar to your machine. I was able to get it to load, but didn't go past the Start Screen as I didn't want to become a PayPal merchant.

However, in the Comments on the Windows Store page, one writer who went further than I stated that the app only works with Win8.1, not any version of 10 -- per the PayPal Here support desk! (YMMV, definitely.)

Hope this helps.

gpstoloff, Jan 12, 2018
  10. youradds Win User
    Hi @gpstoloff , thanks for looking into this. Does your tablet have pre-built in GPS? I'm wondering if that is the factor. While the win10 tablet/laptop we got does have GPS, according to the manufacturer who I contacted, they said it has something called "location based GPS"

From that , I would assume that they mean it just uses the internet connections location rather than an actual GPS. I purchased this to try and add proper GPS capabilities:

Stratux Vk-162 Remote Mount USB GPS with Extended Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

... but it literally comes with zero instructions, or any info on how to get it working! I've tried it on my Win10 PC and the laptop. Both of them install the driver, but then nothing comes up. I've even tried going outside to see if it works, but it doesn't seem to. I'm thinking maybe of trying this instead and sending that other one back!

GlobalSat BU-353-S4 USB GPS Receiver: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I wish they just put a built-in GPS chipset into the device in the first place, as I wouldn't be having this hassle then. I'm really hoping this then allows me to download the app (I can't even get it to download - it just says it not available to me). I will post once I have the new GPS receiver, and then see if that helps. Otherwise, I may just have to buy a cheap Android tablet with GPS on it so we can use that instead.

Thanks

Andy

youradds, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to force device to to work as a tablet/phone? - Similar Threads - force device tablet

2. PC No longer sees files on phone or tablets but does recognise the devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC No longer sees files on phone or tablets but does recognise the devices: This is a problem that has occured on all my mobile devices. My 2 phones, works phone, my tablet, works tablet. All at the same time. So something on the PC changed and I need to know what that is, how to find out what it is, and how to fix it. When I connect a cable up I no...
  3. PC No longer sees files on phone or tablets but does recognise the devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC No longer sees files on phone or tablets but does recognise the devices: This is a problem that has occured on all my mobile devices. My 2 phones, works phone, my tablet, works tablet. All at the same time. So something on the PC changed and I need to know what that is, how to find out what it is, and how to fix it. When I connect a cable up I no...
  4. Phone link in Win10 tablet mode - keyboard will not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone link in Win10 tablet mode - keyboard will not work: When I use my Surface Go running Win 10 in tablet mode the keyboard doesn't appear on screen to allow me to type messages. Works fine with keyboard attached. Phone link and Win 10 are fully up to date. If I attempt to manually activate the tablet keyboard, it pops up for a...
  5. Phone link in Win10 tablet mode - keyboard will not work

Phone link in Win10 tablet mode - keyboard will not work: When I use my Surface Go running Win 10 in tablet mode the keyboard doesn't appear on screen to allow me to type messages. Works fine with keyboard attached. Phone link and Win 10 are fully up to date. If I attempt to manually activate the tablet keyboard, it pops up for a...
  6. Copying files to Android Tablet (or phone)

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying files to Android Tablet (or phone): I am trying to copy a folder with several files inside DCIM folder of Android destination device. If I interrupt copy and resume afterwards Windows 10 tells me some files already exist with same name. If I choose not to copy and put a checkmark on "do the same for all...
  7. Force Windows 10 into Tablet mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Force Windows 10 into Tablet mode: Is there any way to force Windows 10 to not only always boot into Tablet mode Which I can already set, but disable the option to go back to the standard desktop? I'm trying to set up Windows 10 as a multi-app kiosk I don't have access to Intune and when in Tablet mode it...
  8. Your Phone App forcing calls to phone

Your Phone App forcing calls to phone: When connected to Your Phone, all features work except the calls on PC. When I dial a phone number on the PC app, it forces the call to the phone and not through the PC. Any ideas?...
  9. "Your Phone" forces +1 on SMS phone numbers

"Your Phone" forces +1 on SMS phone numbers: I am in Europe. I have a dual SIM phone. I have selected the European phone number as Primary. I am trying to send an SMS to a local number. "Your Phone" app sends it to America no matter whether I type just the local 8-digit number or whether I insert +country code first, a...
  10. Office & Dropbox to work together on phones, tablets, web

in Windows 10 News
    Office & Dropbox to work together on phones, tablets, web: Today we announced a partnership with Dropbox to provide more choice in how you work together and collaborate. You can do more with your Office documents when they are stored online. You can easily share your documents with others, and you can access those files from...