Windows 10: How to force keyboard layout other than the system language as default

Discus and support How to force keyboard layout other than the system language as default in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am operating my systems in English (i.e. the display language is set to US English) but unfortunately I am forced to use Swiss German keyboards (US... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmo, Jun 9, 2017.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

How to force keyboard layout other than the system language as default

I am operating my systems in English (i.e. the display language is set to US English) but unfortunately I am forced to use Swiss German keyboards (US keyboards are not available in Switzerland - at least not for these systems) ||-(
    Since the System language is English the system always switches to the US keyboard layout after reboot or after waking up and I thus always first need to manually adjust the keyboard manually.

Is there any system setting or registry entry or some tool that I could use to permanently force the keyboard layout to be one that is different from the system´s default language? Defining Swiss German as the default keyboard also switches the system´s display language, so that´s NOT what I want...

:)

2. Japanese IME input with NON ENGLISH keyboard layout.

Okay, first some info: I speak lots of languages, so I need to have multiple languages installed on my pc. I live in Denmark and have a Danish keyboard which is very different from an English keyboard. Danish is my default language on Windows. It has to
    be the default language in order to make my default input language Danish.

I have used the override feature in order to force my display language to be English, and I've changed my location to the US because I prefer to have my system in English. The thing is, I also speak Japanese, so I have the Japanese IME installed.

The problem is that the default keyboard layout for the romaji input is the English keyboard layout. I cannot choose my Danish keyboard layout.

How do I change the input layout for the Japanese IME to my DANISH keyboard layout? I can only choose the English keyboard layout, and that doesn't match my actual physical keyboard at all. It's just a mess. When I press ?, I just see a square bracket instead,
    for example.

IndigoInversion, Jun 9, 2017
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Windows 10 "Update" Changed keyboard layout on welcome screen and I can't change it back.

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

• How many keyboard language have you installed?
    If you have installed more than 1 keyboard language in your system, then I suggest you to remove the keyboard language other than default language and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to remove the language.

• Open Control panel.

• Click on language.

• Select the language and click on remove option at the top.

And also refer the link below and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17424/windows-change-keyboard-layout

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Jun 9, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Can you not remove all but the Swiss German keyboard from your display language? If you need to keep more than one keyboard, then Winkey+SpaceBar is a quick way to switch to your preferred keyboard after boot.

How to force keyboard layout other than the system language as default [​IMG]

Click 'Remove' then all you'll have is...

How to force keyboard layout other than the system language as default [​IMG]

Bree, Jun 9, 2017
  5. MMO
    mmo Win User
    Nope - for some reason the "Remove" is grayed out for the English keyboard. I assume, the keyboard matching the display language can not be removed or some similar built-in restriction.

Having to switch the keyboard once only would be OK, but there are a couple of "stubborn" applications (specifically the Office apps and the browser) which always switch back the keyboard to the system language and that's where things are *really* getting annoying!

6. Bree New Member
    Odd. Are you logged in with an administrator account? I was.

My screenshots were from an install of 'Windows 10 1703 English International'. In 'Settings > Time & language > Region & language' the display language is 'English (United Kingdom)' and there were no other languages added. Clicking on 'English' and selecting Options got me to the first screenshot, where it allowed me to add the Swiss keyboard and remove the English one, no restrictions there.

Bree, Jun 9, 2017
  7. MMO
    mmo Win User
    Aah! I think I finally got it, how this works!
    I added the Swiss German keyboard as second keyboard an then I was able to remove the English keyboard. So I have two languages defined now but both with the same keyboard.

This seems to work now for the physical keyboard!

But the on-screen keyboard (one system is a tablet) still shows the US keyboard, not the Swiss keyboard, except when I switch the language, too.

So: half battle won, the other half still pending...

Thema:

1. How to force keyboard layout other than the system language as default - Similar Threads - force keyboard layout

2. How to set default keyboard language to be different than default Windows language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set default keyboard language to be different than default Windows language: This was no problem with Windows 10, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do it in Windows 11. I want my Windows 11 language to be completely in English as default. But I need my keyboard by default to be Danish. However, I also need to have the English keyboard installed...
  3. How to set default keyboard language to be different than default Windows language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set default keyboard language to be different than default Windows language: This was no problem with Windows 10, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do it in Windows 11. I want my Windows 11 language to be completely in English as default. But I need my keyboard by default to be Danish. However, I also need to have the English keyboard installed...
  4. How to remove default keyboard layout added by a language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove default keyboard layout added by a language: Hello fellow members,I have English as my display language because I work as a software developer and most of my devices use English as the system language, though all my input layouts are German QWERTZ because I live in Germany.How do I remove this pesky English United...
  5. How to remove default keyboard layout added by a language

How to remove default keyboard layout added by a language: Hello fellow members,I have English as my display language because I work as a software developer and most of my devices use English as the system language, though all my input layouts are German QWERTZ because I live in Germany.How do I remove this pesky English United...
  6. How to remove "Other Language" Keyboard Layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove "Other Language" Keyboard Layout: I only want English US and Thai language but somehow there is 3rd language "Other Language"I tried many method that solve unwanted keyboard layout, but it didn't work for this one. Powerchell: It show only 2 Languages that I useRegistry: 409 is US and 41e is TH there's no...
  7. How to remove "Other Language" Keyboard Layout

How to remove "Other Language" Keyboard Layout: I only want English US and Thai language but somehow there is 3rd language "Other Language"I tried many method that solve unwanted keyboard layout, but it didn't work for this one. Powerchell: It show only 2 Languages that I useRegistry: 409 is US and 41e is TH there's no...
  8. PowerPoint setting default language setting other than the one set on the keyboard.

in Windows 10 Customization
    PowerPoint setting default language setting other than the one set on the keyboard.: Dear all, I have searched quite a bit on how to set the language setting in PowerPoint and I am lost. The issue is, I am making presentations very often in multiple languages English, Czech, French, German, but I use only Czech keyboard layout. It is very frustrating having...
  9. Unable to remove a 'default' language/keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to remove a 'default' language/keyboard layout: I keep having an annoying problem. I have only 1 language with 1 keyboard layout in Language settings [img] But the system keep changing keyboard layout (when restarting or resuming from sleep) Indeed, if I press WIN+SPACE I can see both layouts! [img] I can I remove...
  10. Keyboard Layout and Other Languages

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard Layout and Other Languages: Just seeing if anyone has an answer to my conundrum. How do I change the keyboard layout for another language? For example, how can I make a USA QWERTY transliterate to Russian so Q=Q, W=W, E=E, R=R, and so on, not j=o, k=l or whatnot? When I select the Russian keyboard it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. force laptop win10 to use uk qwerty keyboard