Windows 10: How to force output to monitor with invalid EDID?

Discus and support How to force output to monitor with invalid EDID? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A fairly old 27" tv stopped detecting signal via my pc's display port, but kept working on vga. It is dual-booting windows 10 and ubuntu. It shows no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kozzm0, Feb 4, 2019.

1. kozzm0 Win User

How to force output to monitor with invalid EDID?

A fairly old 27" tv stopped detecting signal via my pc's display port, but kept working on vga. It is dual-booting windows 10 and ubuntu. It shows no BIOS screens, but once ubuntu starts loading, it would detect and output a signal, albeit the wrong resolution.

From ubuntu's logs I found that the EDID was not valid, but ubuntu was guessing an output mode and trying anyway. The BIOS and Windows don't apparently do that if they don't get an EDID, and output no signal at all. So I'm stuck with crappy vga for running windows 10.

Under linux, fixing the problem was a simple matter of a few lines in terminal to add another output mode to switch to. All I can find from Microsoft is some complex stuff about creating an .inf file with data from the tv's manufacturer. That should not be necessary.

:)

kozzm0, Feb 4, 2019

2. Importing monitor.inf file will fix the edid problem ?

Hi,

An incorrect or invalid EDID (Extended Display Identification Data)
    info on the monitor's EEPROM (electrically erasable programmable read-only memory) can lead to problems such as setting incorrect display modes. We suggest that you contact your monitor manufacturer for assistance in updating or overriding an EDID using an
    INF.

For additional reference, please check the links provided below:

Overriding Monitor EDIDs with an INF.

Monitor INF File Sections.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Feb 4, 2019
  3. vincechen Win User
    EDID Display(Monitor) manufacturer's name

Or Do not Use EDID, Use other way direct get DIsplay(Monitor) manufacturer name also OK.

vincechen, Feb 4, 2019
  4. Gregow Win User

Windows not reading monitor EDID

That's what the EDID does. It's monitor identification data stored in the monitors EEPROM. Windows fails to read that, while other software works.

Gregow, Feb 4, 2019
Thema:

1. How to force output to monitor with invalid EDID? - Similar Threads - force output monitor

2. How to force output to monitor with invalid EDID?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to force output to monitor with invalid EDID?: A fairly old 27" tv stopped detecting signal via my pc's display port, but kept working on vga. It is dual-booting windows 10 and ubuntu. It shows no BIOS screens, but once ubuntu starts loading, it would detect and output a signal, albeit the wrong resolution. From ubuntu's...
  3. Combo jack How to force output only

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Combo jack How to force output only: i've been having this question since i use laptops, but now it started to bother me, because i use my earphones to chat on my pc, but the audio quality of the mic on them is really bad. Is there a way to make windows not to recognize audio input from the jack?...
  4. Windows not reading monitor EDID

Windows not reading monitor EDID: Hi, I recently got a new monitor, an Eizo EV2750, which Windows only recognizes as a generic PnP monitor. I've tried connecting it thorugh DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI without any luck. The often mentioned sollution, to unlplug everything and wait 10 minutes, does not work...
  5. How to force focus to a program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to force focus to a program: I have a desktop computer I am using as a home theater PC to play movies on my HDTV via HDMI. I've got dual monitors, the HDTV is the secondary, the VGA PC monitor is the primary. I've got it set to login automatically the user account set up for the Kodi media player...
  6. GTX 1060 Will only output 3 monitors.

GTX 1060 Will only output 3 monitors.: Hi Guys, System specs: [img] Monitors: 4x 25" LG Ultrawide IPS Full-HD Monitor - 25UM58-P 2560 x 1080 I am trying to run the 4 LG monitors from the GPU using 3x DP1.2-HDMI and 1x HDMI-HDMI. I am currently unable to achieve any output from the one same DP...
  7. Windows cannot detect monitor resolution. No EDID detected

Windows cannot detect monitor resolution. No EDID detected: I bought LG 23MP67HQ as my second monitor because it has HDMI input. Tested OK and well at the shop. It has two display input, VGA and HDMI. My first monitor has VGA and DVI port. My graphics card is ASUS STRIX GTX960. Which has three display ports, One HDMI and one DVI....
  8. Force Intel HDMI Audio Output Possible ?

Force Intel HDMI Audio Output Possible ?: This post is to document yet another flow I observed in Intel Graphics Driver (any) in my laptops . My observation is that on connecting an HDMI cable , only international brands are detected to be HDMI audio capable devices and instantly start playing audio on those...
  9. Force monitor to use second graphic card?

Force monitor to use second graphic card?: Hello, I have two monitors and I have two graphic cards, one of which is damaged. The only reason I am still using the damaged graphics card is because it's display ports are still working and my second graphic card doesn't have a HDMI port. Because of this my full HD...
  10. How do I Output two Audio Inputs into ONE Output?

How do I Output two Audio Inputs into ONE Output?: I've got a really funky setup. Basically XBOX One (HDMI to HDMI)/ Computer (HDMI to HDMI) to Receiver (supports 4K passthrough) to Monitor (via HDMI) I also have my computer plugged directly into my monitor via DisplayPort. I want to be able to hear my XBOX One through...