Windows 10: How to force output to monitor with invalid EDID?

Discus and support How to force output to monitor with invalid EDID? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; A fairly old 27" tv stopped detecting signal via my pc's display port, but kept working on vga. It is dual-booting windows 10 and ubuntu. It shows no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by kozzm0, Feb 4, 2019.

1. kozzm0 Win User

How to force output to monitor with invalid EDID?

A fairly old 27" tv stopped detecting signal via my pc's display port, but kept working on vga. It is dual-booting windows 10 and ubuntu. It shows no BIOS screens, but once ubuntu starts loading, it would detect and output a signal, albeit the wrong resolution.

From ubuntu's logs I found that the EDID was not valid, but ubuntu was guessing an output mode and trying anyway. The BIOS and Windows don't apparently do that if they don't get an EDID, and output no signal at all. So I'm stuck with crappy vga for running windows 10.

Under linux, fixing the problem was a simple matter of a few lines in terminal to add another output mode to switch to. All I can find from Microsoft is some complex stuff about creating an .inf file with data from the tv's manufacturer. That should not be necessary.

:)

kozzm0, Feb 4, 2019

2. Importing monitor.inf file will fix the edid problem ?

Hi,

An incorrect or invalid EDID (Extended Display Identification Data)
    info on the monitor's EEPROM (electrically erasable programmable read-only memory) can lead to problems such as setting incorrect display modes. We suggest that you contact your monitor manufacturer for assistance in updating or overriding an EDID using an
    INF.

For additional reference, please check the links provided below:

Overriding Monitor EDIDs with an INF.

Monitor INF File Sections.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Feb 4, 2019
  3. vincechen Win User
    EDID Display(Monitor) manufacturer's name

Or Do not Use EDID, Use other way direct get DIsplay(Monitor) manufacturer name also OK.

vincechen, Feb 4, 2019
  4. Gregow Win User

Windows not reading monitor EDID

That's what the EDID does. It's monitor identification data stored in the monitors EEPROM. Windows fails to read that, while other software works.

Gregow, Feb 4, 2019
Thema:

1. How to force output to monitor with invalid EDID? - Similar Threads - force output monitor

2. Force Graphics Output with no EDID data

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Force Graphics Output with no EDID data: I’m looking for a solution to use a monitor that is not able to send the EDID data correctly.I know, I’m stretching the limits with my use case, however, I hope somebody knows how this is supposed to work.I’ve got a secondary display that uses a 20m high quality HTMI cable to...
  3. Force Graphics Output with no EDID data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Force Graphics Output with no EDID data: I’m looking for a solution to use a monitor that is not able to send the EDID data correctly.I know, I’m stretching the limits with my use case, however, I hope somebody knows how this is supposed to work.I’ve got a secondary display that uses a 20m high quality HTMI cable to...
  4. Force Graphics Output with no EDID data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to force output HDR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to force output HDR: Hi there,So months ago I had connected my TV to my computer with an HDMI cable and played 4k60 HDR just fine. This was the reason I bought the TV after all, to play Destiny in HDR. Fast forward to today and a couple forced windows updates, and now my computer no longer...
  6. How to force output HDR

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to force output HDR: Hi there,So months ago I had connected my TV to my computer with an HDMI cable and played 4k60 HDR just fine. This was the reason I bought the TV after all, to play Destiny in HDR. Fast forward to today and a couple forced windows updates, and now my computer no longer...
  7. Is it possible to quickly cut output to a monitor to force it to sleep?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to quickly cut output to a monitor to force it to sleep?: Hey all, I don't know if I'm searching the wrong terms or if there's really no way to do this. Anyways, I just added a second monitor to my setup on a vesa mount that's higher than my primary display. Is there a way to cut output to a monitor with a keybind or something so...
  8. How to force output to monitor with invalid EDID?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to force output to monitor with invalid EDID?: A fairly old 27" tv stopped detecting signal via my pc's display port, but kept working on vga. It is dual-booting windows 10 and ubuntu. It shows no BIOS screens, but once ubuntu starts loading, it would detect and output a signal, albeit the wrong resolution. From ubuntu's...
  9. Windows not reading monitor EDID

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows not reading monitor EDID: Hi, I recently got a new monitor, an Eizo EV2750, which Windows only recognizes as a generic PnP monitor. I've tried connecting it thorugh DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI without any luck. The often mentioned sollution, to unlplug everything and wait 10 minutes, does not work...
  10. Windows cannot detect monitor resolution. No EDID detected

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows cannot detect monitor resolution. No EDID detected: I bought LG 23MP67HQ as my second monitor because it has HDMI input. Tested OK and well at the shop. It has two display input, VGA and HDMI. My first monitor has VGA and DVI port. My graphics card is ASUS STRIX GTX960. Which has three display ports, One HDMI and one DVI....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. invalid edid monitor

2. windows 10 detecting wrong edid

3. Fix EDID output

4. windows 10 force display output,
  5. how to force invalid display settings,
  6. windows 10 edid,
  7. how to force output display to hdmi,
  8. windows 10 force dvi output,
  9. will reinstalling windows fix monitor edid,
  10. using a monitor with no edid with windows 10,
  11. windows 10 export edid,