Windows 10: How to force show full file name on desktop

Discus and support How to force show full file name on desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I turn on my computer and look at the desktop, I would like to see the full file name and extension, rather than part of the file name and then an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kephri13, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Kephri13 Win User

How to force show full file name on desktop

When I turn on my computer and look at the desktop, I would like to see the full file name and extension, rather than part of the file name and then an ellipses. How would I change this, if a setting for it even exists.

:)

Kephri13, Mar 27, 2020
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Mar 27, 2020
  3. sturpe Win User
    Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

My Desktop is showing icons as normal. But if I try to find what is on my desktop by using file manager, I cannot find the icon. I also checked under C;\user my name, public, default and no desktop listed on any of them. Any suggestions?

sturpe, Mar 27, 2020
  4. Try3 Win User

Desktop

Margrave,

If the problem symptom returns [Desktop showing the correct contents when looked at in File explorer but not when looking at the Desktop itself], right-click on an empty area of the Desktop and select Refresh.

Many people have found that their Desktop's are not refreshing automatically and are forced to take this step. I searched & searched for a permanent solution but every suggestion I found either had no effect or had only a limited-duration effect.

Denis

Thema:

1. How to force show full file name on desktop - Similar Threads - force show full

2. Desktop full of OneDrive Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop full of OneDrive Files: I just wanted to draw attention to another post which is closed that solved my problem... How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder? - Microsoft CommunityI stupidly moved the default folder for 'saving' and then found at the next reboot that my Desktop was full of...
  3. Desktop full of OneDrive Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop full of OneDrive Files: I just wanted to draw attention to another post which is closed that solved my problem... How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder? - Microsoft CommunityI stupidly moved the default folder for 'saving' and then found at the next reboot that my Desktop was full of...
  4. Desktop full of OneDrive Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. windows open folder to show full file names

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows open folder to show full file names: Most of my file names are quite long, ca 20-25 characters, with the signifiers within the folder at the end of the names. When I open a folder, only the first ca 16 characters of the name are shown. How can I tell Windows to make the width of the Name column the same width as...
  6. windows open folder to show full file names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows open folder to show full file names: Most of my file names are quite long, ca 20-25 characters, with the signifiers within the folder at the end of the names. When I open a folder, only the first ca 16 characters of the name are shown. How can I tell Windows to make the width of the Name column the same width as...
  7. windows open folder to show full file names

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. How to force an app in full screen??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to force an app in full screen??: I'm trying to run a Java phone emulator (Kemulator) in full screen but it won't let me. Is there a way to force full screen? I like to run games on full screen, even if there's black borders, it's better than seeing my background while playing something. submitted by...
  9. Desktop icons not showing names

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons not showing names: My desktop icons are not showing name labels instead they display size, also in opening any folder, I have to always choose the name in the choose details box.[IMG][IMG][IMG]...
  10. How to get/display full path *and* file name of a file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get/display full path *and* file name of a file?: Hi All, Any way to get/display the full path and file name of a file? It's easy to get the full path, but I want to get the path and file name. I know I can grab them separately. Can I get them together? How? I did a google and youtube search and didn't find any hits....