Windows 10: How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ?

Discus and support How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I want to force a shutdown when the user close the laptop lid even if MSWord is open and the document was not saved. Any suggestion ? Regards... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rmoreau, Oct 17, 2016.

1. rmoreau Win User

How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ?

Hi,
    I want to force a shutdown when the user close the laptop lid even if MSWord is open and the document was not saved.
    Any suggestion ?

Regards

:)

rmoreau, Oct 17, 2016
  2. chaos9830 Win User

ASUS Laptop G551VW shutting down computer when lid is closed

How do I view the events log?

chaos9830, Oct 17, 2016
  3. HairyFool Win User
    ASUS Laptop G551VW shutting down computer when lid is closed

It may be the BIOS forcing a shutdown because it cannot leave the system running with the lid closed. In which case no configuration change within Windows will stop it.

Check the BIOS settings to see if there are any options but the designer may have had issues with heat affecting the display if the CPU remained active with the lid closed. Business class laptops with a docking interface would expect to run with the laptop
    shut.

Look at the event logs to see if there is a shutdown issued otherwise you would see a "last shutdown was unexpected" a few seconds after power up in the System log

HairyFool, Oct 17, 2016
  4. mrgeek Win User

Win key + X/Control Panel/Power Options/Choose what closing the lid does (L column), brings you to this screen. Save Changes at bottom when done.

How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ? [​IMG]

mrgeek, Oct 18, 2016
  5. Welcome to the forum *Smile
    If you are saying that the laptop won't shutdown because you need to choose an option to save MSWord or not then I don't think it's possible to change that procedure when the lid is closed. But, maybe someone knows a registry hack or something to accomplish it
    If you want to force all running apps and software to close without saving then a Command Prompt shortcut is probably the easiest.
    See the Shutdown tutorial Option 8 and decide which Command Prompt is best for you, it will probably be

shutdown /s /f /t 0

Note Immediately force running apps to close, and then performs a full shutdown of the computer.
    or
    shutdown /s /hybrid /f /t 0

Note Immediately force running applications to close, and then performs a shutdown of the computer and prepares it for fast startup.
    • Copy the Command Prompt
    • Right click on an empty space on the Desktop
    • Select New > Shortcut
    • Paste the Command Prompt in the location box
    • Next
    • The name shutdown should appear in the box, edit that if you want
    • Finish
    Move the shortcut to wherever you like and/or pin to Taskbar or Start

Shut Down Computer in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

FrillyBits, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ? - Similar Threads - force shutdown laptop

2. Why does my laptop shutdown when the lid is closed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my laptop shutdown when the lid is closed?: Title. Also, I'm not sure if it hibernates or anything but after I close the lid for a certain amount of time the computer shutdowns maybe? and I have to start it again with Win11 logo displaying. My PC starts off a bit slow when doing this and becomes normal againMy power...
  3. Why does my laptop shutdown when the lid is closed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my laptop shutdown when the lid is closed?: Title. Also, I'm not sure if it hibernates or anything but after I close the lid for a certain amount of time the computer shutdowns maybe? and I have to start it again with Win11 logo displaying. My PC starts off a bit slow when doing this and becomes normal againMy power...
  4. How to power up a laptop with the lid closed?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to power up a laptop with the lid closed?: I have an external monitor setup with my win10 laptop and everything works fine and I want to press the laptop power button to power up and start windows with the laptop lid always closed. How do I do this? submitted by /u/cryptotentnew [link] [comments]...
  5. Shutdown when I close the lid.

Shutdown when I close the lid.: I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 laptop and one day I changed the 'sleep time when plugged in' to 5 hours and now I can't sleep my laptop when closing the lid. I've reset power settings and disabled the Intel Management Engine, and almost did everything in the internet. How...
  6. Can closing laptop lid cause improper shutdown?

Can closing laptop lid cause improper shutdown?: I'm seeing improper shutdowns in event viewer daily on my parents' new laptop, yet Dad reports no crashes. He likes to have it "shutdown" on lid close. I do see in the event viewer Xbox/Halo crashing, and Dad does say it takes a long time to quit the game. But it does seem...
  7. Shutdown whenever i close the lid

Shutdown whenever i close the lid: Hello there! Recently (maybe after the latest Windows 10 pro,i cant recall actually) I’ve noticed that whenever i close my laptop lid, the windows shutdown. I know about the power setting and it’s set up to sleep when i close the lid. Did anybody noticed this problem? If...
  8. How to force close app and shutdown?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to force close app and shutdown?: My windows 10 file explorer is not responding sometimes and it's been the 4th times. I don't know why. I wanted to restart explorer proces from task manager but task manager isn't working either. So I restart explorer using the restart explorer.bat file on the desktop that...
  9. when to close the lid of laptop after shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    when to close the lid of laptop after shutdown: hello when i shutdown my laptop it the screen become dark after 6 secs (approx) but the two led lights at the right corner of keyboard still blinks for 15 secs(approx) so shall i wait for the ligjt to stop blinking or shall i just close the lid pannel after screens goes...
  10. How to force close all apps on restart or shutdown ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to force close all apps on restart or shutdown ?: When I restart the end task dialog appear for some open applications and I must press on end task to close all these apps so is there a way to force close all of them without displaying end task dialog ? Thanks 129866