Windows 10: How to force W10 in (re)install a driver from the MS repositiory for W

Discus and support How to force W10 in (re)install a driver from the MS repositiory for W in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Toshiba laptop that has a Conexant audio subsystem. The sound system is misbehaving and I suspect a driver issue. Here is the problem: I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by threejeeps, Jan 1, 2017.

1. How to force W10 in (re)install a driver from the MS repositiory for W

I have a Toshiba laptop that has a Conexant audio subsystem. The sound system is misbehaving and I suspect a driver issue. Here is the problem: I was running windows 7 and upgraded via the free upgrade offer to Win 10. Everything worked OK for a while and then the problem with the audio system appeared. I checked the Toshiba website and they list no drivers for Win10. I cannot find enough specifics about the Conexant audio system on my laptop to get one from the Conexant website. (if they even have w10 drivers)

My question is: how can I force Windows 10 to download and install a win10 compatible driver for the audio subsystem? Aside from going into the Device Manager and finding the device, how can I find out what driver MS is installing for the Conexant device?
    Thanks
    J

:)

threejeeps, Jan 1, 2017

2. preinstalled win8 or win8.1 to win10 by clean installI

Warning!

You should do upgrade from W 8.1 to W 10 first and then activate W 10. Once you have an activated W10 on pc you can then re-install W10 as clean install.

Jmarco0921, Jan 1, 2017
  3. Windows 10 crashed on reinstall

I recently upgraded for free from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Beside a little conflict with my sound card driver everything went well for a couple weeks. Then suddenly I was unable to boot in W10 or if I could get in it froze after a 1 or 2 minutes, forcing
    me to manually power off my computer. I tried booting again many times and tried the repair options from the Blue menu that loaded every now and then. I tried to revert to my previous version, W7. I even tried to re-install while keeping my files from the
    repair option menu, twice actually. With the result of falling in a infinite boot loop. I finally tried to re-intall completely w/o files conservation, only to have that message of an unknown error that prevented re-install of W10.

Now I'm stuck with my computer with no O/S and this question? Will I be able to re-install W10 and still benefit from the free upgrade? What could be done to re-install W10 on my computer?

Korneil#82, Jan 1, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

How to force W10 in (re)install a driver from the MS repositiory for W

Hi, rt click properties, Driver in device manager should show the version, and Driver Details more.

If you want to force a complete reinstall, then in device manager, when uninstalling the driver, tick the check box to also delete it. Then reboot.

Downloading from the manufacturer's site carries the usual caveat of it not being fully compatible for laptops, but it has certainly helped me in a couple of instances.

Discussion:
    Windows 10 no sound SOLUTION (CONEXANT)

dalchina, Jan 1, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    My Toshiba laptop has Conexant audio too. The initial free upgrade from Windows 7 to the first RTM Windows 10 (10240) installed MS-supplied Conexant smartaudio HD drivers which initially didn't work without a workaround (run msconfig.exe and under “Boot” – “Advanced Options…” limit your “Maximum memory” to 3072) - apparently a known bug that wasn't fixed in time for the RTM, though it was fixed later in one of the early CUs.

Somewhere along the line, in upgrading to 1511 and now 1607, Windows 10 replaced my Conexant drivers with the generic Microsoft High Definition Audio device which works perfectly.

Bree, Jan 1, 2017
  6. This is what I want to do: force w10 update to install the generic MS HD audio driver. Given that there is no w10 driver by Conexant, and there doesn't seem to be any other correct driver to download, I want to force W10 to install the generic driver you mentioned. Unless someone can tell me where to download this generic driver, then I can manually install it myself. Thanks for your help.

j

threejeeps, Jan 1, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Which version of Windows 10 do you have? A download shouldn't be needed, HD Audio is supplied as part of Windows 10. There's an hdaudio.inf file in my C:\Windows\INF folder that has a creation date the same as all other files installed when I upgraded to 1607.

Before trying anything, make a Restore Point!

You should be able to manually install HD audio from Device Manager. Look under 'Sound video and games controllers'. You should be able to change the driver for the existing audio device there by clicking its 'update driver' button, selecting 'browse my computer for driver software' and browsing to C:\Windows\INF.

Alternatively, uninstall the existing driver then use Device Manager > Action > Scan for hardware changes.

Bree, Jan 1, 2017
  8. How to force W10 in (re)install a driver from the MS repositiory for W

Oh, OK, so it seems you are saying that when W10 was installed, it copied down a generic class HD audio driver, and that should be located in C:\Windows\INF.
    TYVM, will check it out!

threejeeps, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to force W10 in (re)install a driver from the MS repositiory for W

1. How to force W10 in (re)install a driver from the MS repositiory for W - Similar Threads - force W10 install

2. How to re install wifi drivers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to re install wifi drivers?: Wifi doesn't connect for very long periods of time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-re-install-wifi-drivers/31369e88-ddb1-4ab7-91bb-9ed411d2a995
  3. How to re install wifi drivers?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to re install wifi drivers?: Wifi doesn't connect for very long periods of time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-re-install-wifi-drivers/31369e88-ddb1-4ab7-91bb-9ed411d2a995
  4. how to re-install WiFi drivers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to re-install WiFi drivers: I keep on getting: There might be a problem with the driver for the Wi-Fi adapter. How do I re-install the Wi-Fi drivers? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-re-install-wifi-drivers/bb2c058e-e4e7-4f52-b021-c6658991b76a
  5. How to re-install camera driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to re-install camera driver: Hi those @ Microsoft Community, I tried to fix my camera by uninstalling the driver, but now the camera does not even appear on Device Manager, even when I click "View hidden devices" and Scan for Hardware changes. I have a Toshiba Satellite L50-B025D. I've tried looking...
  6. Re-Installing W10 from USB onto a VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Re-Installing W10 from USB onto a VM: I have - a licensed/activated Windows 10 10586.545 Dutch as VM (Ultimate version) - Windows 10 anniversary update English, on USB (created using Media Creation Tool) I would like the Dutch .545 be replaced by English Anniversary Update version. Resetting the VM...
  7. MS forced Win10 installs w/o user concent?? True?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    MS forced Win10 installs w/o user concent?? True?: Is that true? Win7/8.1/etc. automatically installs Win 10 'update' (the OS) without the users permission when 'X' many days have passed? My brother woke up to Win10 (from Win 8.1) the other day and basically did a 'WTF'. Yes I know you can reverse or downgrade it, however,...
  8. Reclaiming Apps for re-install after re-install W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reclaiming Apps for re-install after re-install W10: I've been digging through many fora for this obvious issue...cannot find. Once I wipe out all the apps and data by a Re-install / Clean Install: I got the data backed up, but there was backup of the apps. How do I get the paid ones back? Surely not >Store...
  9. Re-Installing W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-Installing W10: Hi, HP desktop. I upgraded from W7 Pro to W10 Pro. I do not have W7 product key. I would like to fresh install W10 Pro because my PC has so much junk. I will use a W10 ISO file downloaded from the web. Will I be asked for a key when re-installing W10.....? Thank...
  10. W10 re-installation for a machine that was upgraded from W81 to W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 re-installation for a machine that was upgraded from W81 to W10: I have a Linx 8 tablet that originally came with Windows 8.1. I then upgraded to Windows 10 via the free update route during the year that it was offered. However, the OS has become corrupted and the only thing that I have to be able to restore is the original Windows...