Windows 10: How to force Windows 10 time to synch with a time server?

Discus and support How to force Windows 10 time to synch with a time server? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My W10 PC's system clock has failed to synchronise since October 2019. I have tried all the options including all the time servers. The PC keeps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by albert lionheart, Mar 8, 2020.

1. How to force Windows 10 time to synch with a time server?

My W10 PC's system clock has failed to synchronise since October 2019. I have tried all the options including all the time servers.

The PC keeps different times to other systems such as mobile telephones.

Any idea why it doesn't work?

:)

albert lionheart, Mar 8, 2020

2. How to force Windows 10 time to synch with a time server?

The time displayed by WIndows 10 is over 30 seconds slow even though I shut it down and restarted my computer less than 15 hours ago. I can't find a way to force W10 to synch the clock with a time server.

I had a program (SocketWatch) I had used for years to update the clock with the NIST time server, but it no longer works in W10.

d1edbd8f-cbb5-4a85-b0d3-b5fafd1f0096, Mar 8, 2020
  3. SteveCase Win User
    Problem with synching to time server

When looking through the list of events in Windows Event Viewer, I have, for a long while now, been getting, every day, several warnings that look like this:-

Event 134, Time service
    NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source because of DNS resolution error on 'time-new.nist.gov'. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: No such host is known. (0x80072AF9).

The most recent of these was today at 15:28. When I look at the internet time settings (via control panel), it says the clock was successfully synchronised with time.nst.gov on 22/10/2018 (today) at 16:19 (a few minutes ago). The list of time servers is as follows:-

time.windows.com
    time.nist.gov
    time.nw.nist.gov
    time-a.nist.gov
    time-b.nist.gov

My questions is this: Why is the NTP client apparently trying to synchronise using a server that isn’t in the list? Where is it getting the server name 'time-new.nist.gov' from? It’s not in the list - only ‘time.nw.nist.gov’.
    If I set the time server to time.windows.com should it cure the problem?

SteveCase, Mar 8, 2020
  4. How to force Windows 10 time to synch with a time server?

How to force Windows 10 time to synch with a time server?

Hi Dave,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Method 1:

Follow the steps mentioned below.

• Press Windows key + r and type
      services.msc
      and press enter.
    • Right click on Windows Time and select properties
      to check the status of the service.
    • Restart the Windows Time service.
    • Click on OK.
    • Restart the computer
    Method 2:

a. Click on clock and select “Change date and time settings”.

b. Click on the “Internet Time” tab.

c. Check if it is set to “synchronize the time with time.windows.com”

d. If the option is selected, click on change settings to check the option “Synchronize with an Internet Time server”

e. Click on OK.

Method 3:

Follow the steps mentioned below.

Press Windows key + X and select Command prompt(Admin).

Type each one of the command below and press enter.

net stop w32time

w32tm /unregister

w32tm /register

net start w32time

w32tm /resync

Restart the computer to test the issue again.

W32tm.exe is used to configure Windows Time service settings. It can also be used to diagnose problems with the time service. W32tm.exe is the preferred command line tool for configuring, monitoring, or troubleshooting the Windows Time service.

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Mar 8, 2020
Thema:

How to force Windows 10 time to synch with a time server?

1. How to force Windows 10 time to synch with a time server? - Similar Threads - force synch server

2. time will not synch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    time will not synch: time will not synch https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-will-not-synch/4f7b9c8d-e3ca-420d-925f-1756b3dec60c
  3. time will not synch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    time will not synch: time will not synch https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-will-not-synch/4f7b9c8d-e3ca-420d-925f-1756b3dec60c
  4. time will not synch

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. how to change DNS server time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change DNS server time: how to change DNS server time https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-dns-server-time/0d028788-7e51-44c1-8ce4-22379b2e2035
  6. WINDOWS SERVER 2012 R2 SYNCHS WRONG TIME!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WINDOWS SERVER 2012 R2 SYNCHS WRONG TIME!!: Hello guys , I have an issue with time in my domain controller time is always 5 minutes ahead even if the time zone is correct . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-server-2012-r2-synchs-wrong-time/de90b3f1-7314-4139-9932-381c82b23a94
  7. WINDOWS SERVER 2012 R2 SYNCHS WRONG TIME!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WINDOWS SERVER 2012 R2 SYNCHS WRONG TIME!!: Hello guys , I have an issue with time in my domain controller time is always 5 minutes ahead even if the time zone is correct . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-server-2012-r2-synchs-wrong-time/de90b3f1-7314-4139-9932-381c82b23a94
  8. Synching time/date on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Synching time/date on startup: My laptop constantly doesn't synch time/date or open to web properly upon startup. I have to manually open web & time/date never synchs automatically Anybody know how to solve this problem?...
  9. Notification area time is not synched

in Windows 10 Customization
    Notification area time is not synched: I have 2 computers running Windows 10 Version 1909, one is Home and the other is Professional. I actually have 2 questions: 1. The clock on the "Home" version is the same as both my TracFone phones but the "Professional" computer is 3 minutes behind. Why? How do I change...
  10. Problem with synching to time server

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with synching to time server: When looking through the list of events in Windows Event Viewer, I have, for a long while now, been getting, every day, several warnings that look like this:- Event 134, Time service NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source because of DNS resolution...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 time synchronization failed client workstations

2. why time synchronization fails in windows 10