Windows 10: How to format a Hard Drive or Disk in Windows 10

Discus and support How to format a Hard Drive or Disk in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]“Format” as a word in computers is very popular, and a well-known word among computer users. We all have done that, especially with the USB […]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Aug 20, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

How to format a Hard Drive or Disk in Windows 10

WinClub, Aug 20, 2020
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Aug 20, 2020
  3. How to Partiton a Hard Drive in Vista

This is a way to get Vista to see another hard drive that is not associated with the OS. There is some times when your new hdd doesn't seem to want to work well with Vista. But, there is a solution in it.

Open the Computer Management By doing these steps.
    • Click on the Start Button
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Administrative Tools
    • Double click on Computer Management
    You are now in the Navigation panel of the Computer Management.
    When in Computer Management, you then have to allow the new drive to be recognized.
    • Double click on Storage
    • Double click on Disk Management
    Now in the middle of your screen there is the layout of the Disk Drives that you have. The drives that are partitioned will show by the drive lettering. The others will just show up as having nothing at all in them. Below that there will be the Disk drives that are installed into the computer. You'll see that the primary one will all ways read as "Disk 0". Then you will have Disk 1 and so on. Under the Disks there will also see your CD-Rom drives.. If there is more then one, it will be labeled the same as Disk drives..

On to the Partitioning of the drive in question.
    • Right Click on the drive
    • Click to format the drive or Enable Volume. There will be a series of windows that open up. This is Vista's formatting. Just go threw the windows, and make sure everything is the way you want it to happen.
    • Once the formatting is done, will take some time depending on the drive size.
    • Right click on the drive
    • Click on Mark the Partition as Active
    After you have done those steps, The drive will be up and running threw Vista.

:Side Notes:
    If you are not the Administer to the Os, then you will have to enable it..
    You may also want to redo the drive lettering of it all. But, I really don't see a reason to do so. If you do, you have to redo drive paths and so forth.. A lot of work on something so small...

Cold Storm, Aug 20, 2020
  4. DeniseJM Win User

Problem formatting hard drive in Windows 10

I installed another hard drive. I went into Disk Management to format it. Disk Management asked me if I wanted to format it to GPT or MBR. I wasn't sure so I closed the box, opened a new tab and looked up to see what I should do. I found that I should
    format it as GPT. When I went back to Disk Management, the option to format the hard drive was no longer available by right clicking on the hard drive. I opened a new tab and found and did this:

Backup all your data and then use the DISKPART command.

• Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    • Then type in list disk (Note down the number of the disk that you want to convert to GPT)
    • Then type in select disknumber of disk
    • Finally, type in convert gpt.
    It said that the disk was converted to gpt.

In Disk Management, the hard drive doesn't show up in the top panel where it lists all my hard drives. In the bottom panel, it says that the disk is Unallocated.

I rebooted by computer but it wouldn't go any further than a black screen that says that it's Verifying something. I waited about 5 minutes and it never went any further. I pressed reset, disconnected the hard drive and my computer booted back up to Windows.
    I then reconnected the drive with Windows booted up, went into Disk Management, and again the drive is not listed in the top panel and in the bottom panel, it's still listed as Unallocated.

What do I do now?

DeniseJM, Aug 20, 2020
Thema:

1. How to format a Hard Drive or Disk in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - format Hard Drive

2. How to Format Multiple Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Format Multiple Hard Disk: Hi Experts, I am using Windows 10 20H1 for creating Windows image for HP systems. using DISM commands i am applying the image to the PC using USB device. my requirement is to formatting multiple hard disk using single bat file or PowerShell script. Image build PC will...
  3. How to Format Multiple Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Format Multiple Hard Disk: Hi Experts, I am using Windows 10 20H1 for creating Windows image for HP systems. using DISM commands i am applying the image to the PC using USB device. my requirement is to formatting multiple hard disk using single bat file or PowerShell script. Image build PC will...
  4. How to format a hard disk correctly?

How to format a hard disk correctly?: Hello guys, since you helped me alot with my previous problem, I wanted to ask something. My PC is slowed down a lot in comparison to how it was. So, I wanted to ask how to delete everything from the hard disk such that everything is working as before. How would I delete...
  5. Format hard disk without windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Format hard disk without windows 10?: Hello, is there a way to format my hard drive but leave Windows 10 on it? Thanks in advance. Festplatte formatieren ohne windows 10?
  6. How to format hard disk during installation of Windows 10?

How to format hard disk during installation of Windows 10?: Hi! Recently my hard disk was broken and I can't boot it to Windows 10. It would load and it will get stuck on the loading screen and then show a BSOD. I want to make a clean installation but I also want to format my hard disk too. Does the installation let me format it so...
  7. Format a Hard Disk Drive

Format a Hard Disk Drive: I want to reformat a HGST 750GB hard disk drive connected thru a USB port on my computer. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-a-hard-disk-drive/0e989132-1b84-48c9-b089-ce4ac8420d30
  8. Format External hard disk drive.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Format External hard disk drive.: I have external hard disk drive which was prepared as a mini windows 10. I am trying to format from disk management and Command prompt. receiving below errors: Virtual Disk Service error: Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile,...
  9. Format hard disk

Format hard disk: I want to gift my laptop to a friend and would like to format the hard disk, but when I try to do it the message is I can't do it because it could cause my computer to stop working. How do I erase everything from my computer's memory?...
  10. Formatting Hard drive in Windows 10

Formatting Hard drive in Windows 10: If I want to make a bootable hard drive for Windows 10 in the NTFS file system with no partitions do I have to do it in the GPT format?...