Windows 10: how to format external drive to backup windows 10

Discus and support how to format external drive to backup windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; how to format external drive to backup windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jackyacobian1, May 21, 2020.

1. how to format external drive to backup windows 10

how to format external drive to backup windows 10

:)

jackyacobian1, May 21, 2020

2. Format external backup drive for NTFS

I purchased an external backup drive made by Verbatim. when I try to do a full system backup from Windows 10, I get the message that I can't backup to this drive because it is not formatted for NTFS. How do I format this drive for NTFS?

RobertNelson8, May 21, 2020
  3. Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, May 21, 2020
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

want to Format a La Cie External Drive Because the Software Genie 9 has too many versions of backup.

Hello,

To format an external USB or an external hard drive you can easily do it by accessing Computer Management. For us to assist you, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Computer Management.
    • On the left side, click on Disk Management under Storage.
    • Locate the drive that you want to format.
    • Once located, right-click on the drive and choose Format.

If the hard drive has not been formatted with the steps that we have provided above, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your hard drive. Some hard drive requires a software that you'll need to use just to format it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, May 21, 2020
Thema:

1. how to format external drive to backup windows 10 - Similar Threads - format external drive

2. External drive backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive backup: Hello all, How do I backup windows 10 unto a hard drive? What am I looking for and cant see my dive displayed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive-backup/ecc6172e-9317-4fa9-8755-7ee6726e446f
  3. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  4. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  5. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. FORMATTED MY EXTERNAL BACKUP BY MISTAKE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FORMATTED MY EXTERNAL BACKUP BY MISTAKE: I have asked before, but didn't get the answer I was hoping for. Just as subject line says, I accidentally formatted my 1TB external hard drive that has my entire backup. Ironically, I did it while starting to make a backup of my backup, that I've been saying to myself for...
  7. How to Format and Partition a New External Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Format and Partition a New External Drive in Windows 10: Recently, I picked a new external drive with 4TBs of storage for under 100 dollars. This would probably be my 8th or 9th drive I have bought since I started using them back in the mid 2000's. They just keep getting bigger and bigger and with good reason. As much as we benefit...
  8. How to format an external drive with windows 7 on it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to format an external drive with windows 7 on it: I’m trying to format a seagate 80 gig drive to use as an external drive , but when I go to format it the option is greyed out (it’s already initialized) submitted by /u/gage_slides [link] [comments]...
  9. what format for backup external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    what format for backup external drive: what format for backup external drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-format-for-backup-external-drive/5797e3a5-1f76-4363-ad9b-c7204832a04c"
  10. Format external backup drive for NTFS

in Windows 10 Customization
    Format external backup drive for NTFS: I purchased an external backup drive made by Verbatim. when I try to do a full system backup from Windows 10, I get the message that I can't backup to this drive because it is not formatted for NTFS. How do I format this drive for NTFS?...