Windows 10: How to format external hdd which has ubuntu installed ?

Discus and support How to format external hdd which has ubuntu installed ? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have ubuntu installed in my external hdd but windows is unable to read it not showing in thic pc. I used the tool provided in the answer to a similar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Akash Shailendra, Feb 9, 2023.

1. How to format external hdd which has ubuntu installed ?

I have ubuntu installed in my external hdd but windows is unable to read it not showing in thic pc. I used the tool provided in the answer to a similar question: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-external-hard-disk-does-not-show-up-in-my/f95ed41b-9ae5-4601-a5f2-b584bda522eb but it does not allow me to format the drive. My goal is to format the external hdd.

:)

Akash Shailendra, Feb 9, 2023
  2. darkf0xx Win User

Raw formatted my external

my hdd is done xferring all old files finally however now when I try to format it I get this pop up

How to format external hdd which has ubuntu installed ? 41448d1485957940t-raw-formatted-my-external-31dbc9ca6b.png

I had a kali linux live cd and used it in order to see if I could format from there but its not even on the list from there, but it is in windows. any suggestions, I wouldnt think using ubuntu would get much different results from what I got with kali.

darkf0xx, Feb 9, 2023
  3. erocker Win User
    No format option for new Vista install?

After the disk is in and it does it's thing for a while, you will get a screen with your HDD's listed on it. Select the HDD that you want to install Vista on and format it. Then continue to install Vista on that HDD.

erocker, Feb 9, 2023
  4. jimbo45 Win User

How to format external hdd which has ubuntu installed ?

External HDD needs format

Hi there @menu

from Windows command mode

1) Diskpart
    2) list Disk
    3) select disk <disk4> I think it would be in your case
    4) clean
    5) convert gpt (optional step but I prefer gpt HDD's these days even just for data disks)
    6) create partition primary
    7) format fs=ntfs quick
    8) assign
    9) exit

now you should have HDD ready for use and assigned a disk letter.

you don't need to create an efi partition for this disk either.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 9, 2023
Thema:

How to format external hdd which has ubuntu installed ?

1. How to format external hdd which has ubuntu installed ? - Similar Threads - format external hdd

2. How to format external hdd which has ubuntu installed ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to format external hdd which has ubuntu installed ?: I have ubuntu installed in my external hdd but windows is unable to read it not showing in thic pc. I used the tool provided in the answer to a similar question:...
  3. Installing apps on external drive - which disk format to use?

Installing apps on external drive - which disk format to use?: Hi,I would like to use my external drive for installing apps. Does it matter how the disk is formatted? Currently it is formatted as exFAT. When I try to move my Spotify app to the external drive, I get an error "This app is not supported on the target drive's filesystem."I...
  4. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting/partitioning an external HDD: HiI have a USB 3TByte HDD that is somewhat older. DIsk Management 'Datenträgerverwaltung displays it as two different drives #7 and 8. I wonder how to merge these into one single drive. I tried everthing using Disk Management, but I get an error message, see screenshots....
  5. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting/partitioning an external HDD: HiI have a USB 3TByte HDD that is somewhat older. DIsk Management 'Datenträgerverwaltung displays it as two different drives #7 and 8. I wonder how to merge these into one single drive. I tried everthing using Disk Management, but I get an error message, see screenshots....
  6. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

7. Can't access my External HDD on Windows But Ubuntu has no problems r/w on the same hdd !

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't access my External HDD on Windows But Ubuntu has no problems r/w on the same hdd !: Hello Just few hours ago i stumbled across a problem when accessing my External HDD " it was working fine this morning" I tried connecting it on a desktop computer and i got the same error " ... The drive is not accessible " I got dual boot on my internal SSD windows + Ubuntu...
  8. External HDD needs format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD needs format: Hello to all. Havent been here for a long time between the windows system has improved a lot over the past tear. To my latest problem i was given an external hdd but it has two sections as per image how do i get this to a full working drive please. Many thanks [img] 146402
  9. External HDD needs format

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD needs format: Hello to all. Havent been here for a long time between the windows system has improved a lot over the past tear. To my latest problem i was given an external hdd but it has two sections as per image how do i get this to a full working drive please. Many thanks [img] 146402
  10. Which format for an external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Which format for an external drive: I just bought a Seagate portable USB hard drive. It was supplied formatted as an ex-FAT drive. I changed this to NTFS. What's the 'best' format to use for external drives for Windows 10 use only? 139483