Windows 10: How to format my C drive and reinstall W10 with my rescue disk

Discus and support How to format my C drive and reinstall W10 with my rescue disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have several glitches that I have been unable to resolve for several months and am thinking it may be a W10 problem My laptop has 2 drives an SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by provlima, Jun 16, 2021.

1. provlima Win User

How to format my C drive and reinstall W10 with my rescue disk

I have several glitches that I have been unable to resolve for several months and am thinking it may be a W10 problem My laptop has 2 drives an SSD (OS) and a HDD data drive. Can someone please advise how to reformat the SSD and reinstall W10 (I have a rescue disk) Thanks for your help!

:)

provlima, Jun 16, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

GPT disk conversion for both data drives and C drive

Macrium Rescue disk can be used to convert from MBR to GPT and vice versa without doing a fresh install of Windows.

1. Download Rescue6.1.1081X64.iso - Google Drive and use Rufus to create a bootable USB disk. Skip this step if you've already created the Macrium Rescue disk.
    2. Download: BootEFI_Only-00-00.zip - Google Drive . Unzip to an external or an internal HD
      NOTE:
      This is a copy of the first 3 partitions of my current Windows 10 x64 (450MB Recovery, 100MB EFI and 16MB MSR)
    3. Boot up Macrium Rescue disk and create a backup of your current Windows to another internal/external HD. It serves 2 purposes: you'd have a backup of your current Windows in case things go wrong and then use it to restore the C drive on the next steps.
    4. Next, switch the BIOS to UEFI and use Macrium to restore the first 3 partitions downloaded in step 2 to your current MBR Windows. No need to convert or Format, Macrium will do it.
    5. Again with Macrium, select the backup image from step 3, and copy back the C drive after the 3 partitions.
      After this step, you should have: 450MB, 100MB, 16MB and C drive (GPT partition scheme)
    6. From Macrium, click on Fix the Windows Boot Problems
    7. Reboot. Your Windows should be in UEFI mode.

topgundcp, Jun 16, 2021
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Jun 16, 2021
  4. How to format my C drive and reinstall W10 with my rescue disk

Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jun 16, 2021
Thema:

How to format my C drive and reinstall W10 with my rescue disk

1. How to format my C drive and reinstall W10 with my rescue disk - Similar Threads - format drive reinstall

2. my drive c: got formatted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my drive c: got formatted: please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-drive-c-got-formatted/6e23008b-6bd4-4170-9d3a-ee884c6df4ab
  3. my drive c: got formatted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my drive c: got formatted: please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-drive-c-got-formatted/6e23008b-6bd4-4170-9d3a-ee884c6df4ab
  4. My laptop disk shows grub rescue after formatting the disk, same disk when in my pc starts...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop disk shows grub rescue after formatting the disk, same disk when in my pc starts...: Hi,My laptop had Linux on it but I wanted Windows on it so i took out the disk and put it in my pc, formatted it and put the windows installer. When I started it with my pc it worked fine and started the installer. When i put it back in my laptop the grub rescue showed up. I...
  5. How to format my C drive and re install W10 with my recue disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to format my C drive and re install W10 with my recue disk: I have several glitches that I have been unable to resolve for several months and am thinking it may be a W10 problem My laptop has 2 drives an SSD (OS) and a HDD data drive. Can someone please advise how to reformat the SSD and reinstall W10 (I have a rescue disk) Thanks for...
  6. format my C drive and reinstall windows 10 home

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    format my C drive and reinstall windows 10 home: I have an ASUS K52JC which came with its HD partitioned into Drives C & D and had Windows 7 Home Premium OS. The CD/DVD drive quit functioning at one point and I never found a fix for that problem. After upgrading to Windows 10 Home, I also used software to combine the two...
  7. How to format my C Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to format my C Drive: I'm having issue with my main drive the C drive and just backed it up and thought I would do a full format then run my backup. But after upgrading to windows 10 I haven't done a format and not having a physical disc I was wondering how to do it. I know I used to format during...
  8. How to format my C Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to format my C Drive: I'm having issue with my main drive the C drive and just backed it up and thought I would do a full format then run my backup. But after upgrading to windows 10 I haven't done a format and not having a physical disc I was wondering how to do it. I know I used to format during...
  9. Macrium V6 Rescue Disk Will Not Boot in W10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium V6 Rescue Disk Will Not Boot in W10: I'm not familiar with the UEFI boot system in W10. Any pointers? Thanks. 40116
  10. Full format of my 'C' Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Full format of my 'C' Drive: I am just about to do a re-install of Windows 10 and am wondering if I can first do a very thorough clean-up of my 'C' drive first by doing a full format before carrying our the reinstall. I am just about to look for the USB stick with Windows 10 on it, I think that it...