Windows 10: How to format older drive with previous install vs new PC build Win 10

Discus and support How to format older drive with previous install vs new PC build Win 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I am doing my first A to Z PC build. I know what to expect generally speaking since I did clean Windows 10 install on my current tower a couple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mininie, Oct 21, 2020.

1. mininie Win User

How to format older drive with previous install vs new PC build Win 10

Hi

I am doing my first A to Z PC build. I know what to expect generally speaking since I did clean Windows 10 install on my current tower a couple times.

However I am frankenstein-ing pieces between old and new build and I don't know how to format the older Windows already installed on what will become a secondary drive.

Namely, my "old" PC's Windows 10 lives on a 250g SSD. I want to use that SSD as storage on my new build.
    I want the "new" PC's Windows 10 to live on a new 1tb M2 drive.

I know that disconnecting the SSD when installing will default it to the M2 drive, which is what I want.

I don't know what happens after I reconnect the SSD and reboot. I am worried, should I be ? Will there be conflict between the (good) Windows installed on the M2 drive and the (bad old) Windows on the SSD ? How do I reformat the SSD ?

:)

mininie, Oct 21, 2020
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Oct 21, 2020
  3. r.h.p Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Oct 21, 2020
  4. How to format older drive with previous install vs new PC build Win 10

Windows 10 - Mapping Drives on Older PC

We have upgraded some of our pc's. Before the latest rounds Microsoft updates we were able to see and have permissions to mapped drives. Now we can only see mapped drives. Now when accessing these files, we get a Network Error Message. I have searched
    for some previous answers in the community. You do not have permission... Windows 10 Mapped Network Drive .
    I went thru the steps described by the moderator and was stopped at #6 because I do not see all the users in our network. Currently there is no domain that these pc's log into, they are networked thru a Cisco Meraki router. The builds of Windows 10 are different
    between the older pc (Win Ver = Build 1803 17134.765) that had mapped drives and the newer pcs (Win Ver = Build 1809 17763.503). I noticed that Microsoft got away from the Workgroups that was in Windows previous versions, 7 and 8; not sure if that has anything
    to do with it. Thank You.

GeorgeKeys1, Oct 21, 2020
Thema:

How to format older drive with previous install vs new PC build Win 10

1. How to format older drive with previous install vs new PC build Win 10 - Similar Threads - format older drive

2. how to format harddrives previously formatted in hikvision on pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to format harddrives previously formatted in hikvision on pc: hi i had recently go some wd purple 4 tb harddrives formatted in hik vision cctv software but when i plugged them in through a converter they dont show up on my pc is there any solution on getting them running up they dont powerup or spin i know these arent dead harddrives...
  3. how to format harddrives previously formatted in hikvision on pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to format harddrives previously formatted in hikvision on pc: hi i had recently go some wd purple 4 tb harddrives formatted in hik vision cctv software but when i plugged them in through a converter they dont show up on my pc is there any solution on getting them running up they dont powerup or spin i know these arent dead harddrives...
  4. Windows 10 installation and drive formatting on new PC build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 installation and drive formatting on new PC build: Doing first PC build installing windows 10 by USB onto an nvme m2 if I boot from the USB how do I format and install on the m2 and do I format my other drive from within windows, Only changed components on old PC's with an OS already installed so never done from scratch...
  5. Windows 10 installation and drive formatting on new PC build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 installation and drive formatting on new PC build: Doing first PC build installing windows 10 by USB onto an nvme m2 if I boot from the USB how do I format and install on the m2 and do I format my other drive from within windows, Only changed components on old PC's with an OS already installed so never done from scratch...
  6. Windows 10 installation and drive formatting on new PC build

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Win 10 not installing on new build AMD PC

Win 10 not installing on new build AMD PC: Hi, my new build PC does POST and all the installed devices appear to be recognised in the BIOS.The UEFI BIOS appears to work fine and I updated the BIOS via USB flash in an attempt to fix my problem - it did not.When it boots with the Media Creation Tool created bootable USB...
  8. How to install latest Windows 10 build on an older PC.

How to install latest Windows 10 build on an older PC.: After build 1607 Microsoft deprecated all driver signing methods other than the newest, introduced with Windows 8. Thus many drivers (especially for video) won't install on builds after 1607. If you use the driver setup, Windows lets it go through the motions but silently...
  9. Win 10 on older PC

Win 10 on older PC: Our old desktop PC is a Gateway SX2855, with Win7 home premium. I've heard that an "upgrade" can't work, but am considering cleaning the drive files are backed up and doing a straight install of Win 10 from DVD. Can anyone tell me whether this PC model can handle that?...
  10. New install of Win 10 on older computer?

New install of Win 10 on older computer?: I was given a laptop that came with Windows 8.1. The owner removed the memory and HDD because they thought computer went bad. I replaced the memory and HDD with some spare parts I had. The HDD had a old installation of Win 10 from when I replaced it with a SSD. The laptop is...