Windows 10: How to format "win32/installmonster" infected USB drive

Discus and support How to format "win32/installmonster" infected USB drive in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, after i gave my usb drive to one of my friends and took it back, i realize that my drive is write protected. I try 90% of the solutions on the web... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MehrabSeyfi, Oct 13, 2019.

1. How to format "win32/installmonster" infected USB drive

Hi, after i gave my usb drive to one of my friends and took it back, i realize that my drive is write protected. I try 90% of the solutions on the web and i couldn't fix it. Now i found out that's a high alert rate virus called "Win32/InstallMonster" that the defender can't remove it.

This is Defender Message:

How to format "win32/installmonster" infected USB drive fc5d3d53-b82e-4485-9319-8f252e7d6ec0?upload=true.png

Please H E L P

:)

MehrabSeyfi, Oct 13, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

clean possibly infected flash drives and CD-RWs

Your steps in post #1 should work for 99% of viruses that may be on a usb flash drive. However, there are a very few viruses that can infect the MBR of a drive. I would use Diskpart from a command prompt (Admin) to clean them. In the command prompt type DISKPART then, at the Diskpart prompt use the commands:

LIST DISKnote the disk number of the usb and use it in place of # in the command:SELECT DISK #
    CLEAN
    CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

After this you will have cleaned the partition table from the usb and created a partition using the whole of the the available space. You can then format this partition in File Explorer.

For a CD-RW, if you right-click on it in File Explorer there is an Erase option.

3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Oct 13, 2019
  4. mikel33 Win User

How to format "win32/installmonster" infected USB drive

USB Flash Drive saying not formatted..?

Hi,

I have a Memorex Poker Chip USB Flash Drive 1GB, and It shows up fine on one PC as "Poker Chip" in explore, and I can transfer files... but on my other PC (the one I'm on now..specs in profile) it's listed only as H: Removable Disk, and when I click on it, it says: "The Device is not formatted, would you like to format it now? (Y/N). Why would it be recognized on one PC, but the not the other? How come the other PC didn't need it formatted? When I click yes to format it, it says: "Windows was unable to complete the format"

I went to the BIOS and USB 2.0 is enabled. And Device Manager does list it as a Memorex Poker Chip..

mikel33, Oct 13, 2019
Thema:

How to format "win32/installmonster" infected USB drive

1. How to format "win32/installmonster" infected USB drive - Similar Threads - format win32 installmonster

2. Infected with Win32/ExcludeProc.A , VirTool:PowerShell/MaleficAms.H &...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Infected with Win32/ExcludeProc.A , VirTool:PowerShell/MaleficAms.H &...: So I just turned on my PC and started getting notifications , I don't download files etc from non trusted sources ... I do not recall connecting any USB , I do recall connecting an Android phone to the USB , as it required some charge and did that for about few minutes ... so...
  3. What is a safe way to format an infected USB drive?

What is a safe way to format an infected USB drive?: - Should I format an infected USB drive and a clean USB drive from an infected PC? - Should I format an infected USB drive from a clean PC? Thank you It is Windows 10 version 20H2 181077
  4. What is a safe way to format an infected USB drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is a safe way to format an infected USB drive?: - Should I format an infected USB drive and a clean USB drive from an infected PC? - Should I format an infected USB drive from a clean PC? Thank you It is Windows 10 version 20H2 181077
  5. Formatted USB Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatted USB Drive: I accidentally formatted a pen drive and was wondering is there any way that I can recover data & files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatted-usb-drive/9646d9c8-a251-44d1-8b1a-4b4132c5e0c1"
  6. USB Flash Drive Virus Infection

USB Flash Drive Virus Infection: A friend of mine downloaded something sketchy off the internet now it's got a virusWhat a surprise. So now it's my job to fix it. My question is that will using a flash drive to format it infect it in the process? I'm planning on going on to the BIOS and booting into my...
  7. How to format my usb drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to format my usb drive: I have attempted to format my usb drive multiple times and I have tried every method possible which enables execute the function above. I have tried the Disk management system and other external third party softwares...
  8. Formating USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formating USB drive: How can I format a USB memory to 2048 Byte size. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formating-usb-drive/cb81e9aa-877a-4513-a175-81afae642744
  9. How To Format 494 KB "Partition" on Formatted USB Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How To Format 494 KB "Partition" on Formatted USB Drive: I should know this. I have a feeling I should use Diskpart but would appreciate some guidance and steps to take. Disk management does not show the 494 KB partition. I guess I want to delete the 494 KB and merge it with the "rest" of the USB stick. When I attempted to format I...
  10. How To Format 494 KB "Partition" on Formatted USB Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Format 494 KB "Partition" on Formatted USB Drive: I should know this. I have a feeling I should use Diskpart but would appreciate some guidance and steps to take. Disk management does not show the 494 KB partition. I guess I want to delete the 494 KB and merge it with the "rest" of the USB stick. When I attempted to format I...