Windows 10: How to Free/Release Memory

Discus and support How to Free/Release Memory in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Home edition. My memory is being used up just browsing the internet without downloading anything. When I open File Explorer and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BellaJIsa, Oct 4, 2020.

1. BellaJIsa Win User

How to Free/Release Memory

I have Windows 10 Home edition. My memory is being used up just browsing the internet without downloading anything. When I open File Explorer and select This PC the memory on the C drive under Devices and drives is being used up. When I free up memory using Disk Cleanup hardly any memory is freed. How do I free up memory so I don't run out of space? Please let me know which forum to post if this isn't the correct forum.

:)

BellaJIsa, Oct 4, 2020
  2. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Oct 4, 2020
  3. Isha Soni Win User
    Memory Use with Downloads: Not Releasing

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query to Microsoft forum. I will certainly help you with this.

I would like to know;

Have you upgraded to the full version of Windows 10?

This issue could occur due to incompatible, outdated or corrupted device drivers. Let’s try to follow these methods below which can help us resolving this issue.

Method 1:

Step 1: Perform System Maintenance troubleshooter.

I would suggest you to perform System Maintenance troubleshooter on the computer and check if it fixes the issue.

Please follow the steps to perform System maintenance check to improve performance of the computer:

• Press Windows and x
      key together and select Control Panel.

• Click on Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all
      on the left side panel.

• Click on System Maintenance and follow the onscreen instructions.

Step 2: Also test your computer’s RAM memory

The memory Diagnostic tool helps you to identify if any problems found due to hardware failure Such as RAM, Motherboard and other circuit and it is done by running set of tests.

Steps to start Memory Diagnostic Tool

• Press Windows key on the keyboard
    • Type Memory in the search bar
    • Click on Diagnose your computer's memory problem
      follow the wizard.
    • Now you can see the option to check the memory errors and click the
      Restart now and check for problem option, before that saved any unsaved work running your PC.
    • Once you select to restart, the windows memory diagnostic tool
      starts checking and restarts automatically displaying the result.

If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2: Perform Clean Boot

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Refer to Windows 8.1 steps, as they are applicable to Windows 10.

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Oct 4, 2020
  4. EdKiefer Win User

Releasing Standby memory

This is the first I have heard of any issues with Standby list memory causing issues outside of games.
    I know there were a lot of reports around 1809 of games having issues where the standby list didn't release memory and games would stutter. There are a few programs that can clear up this issue. I have used both and they do work but I only used it for games, never noticed any issues in windows applications.
    ISLC (Intelligent standby list cleaner) by Wagnarsoft and Processlasso by Bitsum can clear the standby list automatically.

EdKiefer, Oct 4, 2020
Thema:

1. How to Free/Release Memory - Similar Threads - Free Release Memory

2. Low available physical memory and free memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Low available physical memory and free memory: I was browsing looking for solutions to speed up my outdated laptop which uses windows 11, and i stumbled upon resource manager and looking at the memory tab made me conclude that my low free memory is making my system too slow. That might be me running windows 11 on a really...
  3. Low available physical memory and free memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low available physical memory and free memory: I was browsing looking for solutions to speed up my outdated laptop which uses windows 11, and i stumbled upon resource manager and looking at the memory tab made me conclude that my low free memory is making my system too slow. That might be me running windows 11 on a really...
  4. How to free-up cached memory?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to free-up cached memory?: How to free-up cached memory? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-free-up-cached-memory/3566496f-02ba-49f8-8c82-5c7b3c0c7be8
  5. How to free-up cached memory?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to free-up cached memory?: How to free-up cached memory? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-free-up-cached-memory/3566496f-02ba-49f8-8c82-5c7b3c0c7be8
  6. How to get free memory?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get free memory?: I have only 200gb HDD hard disk.But I want 1or2 tb free memory!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-free-memory/c7490bf7-9ea3-40c4-bc4b-c4864d17c2c8
  7. Releasing Standby memory

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Releasing Standby memory: Windows 10 Pro, 32GB memory, 970 GTX GPU. Ordinary boring, but previously very capable desktop. I'm running a couple Adobe tools. Needless to say, they are total pigs. And it appears they've gotten WORSE in the current version. When the Adobe products are up and running,...
  8. Computer holding onto Standby memory, not releasing it to free memory when needed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer holding onto Standby memory, not releasing it to free memory when needed: So I’m having a memory problem which is causing programs to freeze and/or crash. What happens is, when I’m gaming usually, the computer builds up standby memory (super fast). It occupies half of my RAM (so, around 8/16 gigs) but doesn’t free it up even though it is needed....
  9. Freeing up memory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Freeing up memory: Hi all, What is the best why to free up memory,when all I have is 30G all in. My system takes up's 15G, and the rest uses around 8/10G. I've deleted all photos/games/unwanted files etc, but I still don't have enough to download the latest updates. I've tried to plug in an...
  10. standby memory not releasing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    standby memory not releasing: Windows 10 ver 1903 standby memory not releasing, have to use Rammap all the time. All drivers are up to date, no malware or virus, any thoughts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/standby-memory-not-releasing/e5341242-acc1-4a88-927d-bf7842fd3a54