Windows 10: How to gain access to the WindowsApps folder?

Discus and support How to gain access to the WindowsApps folder? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I already googled it and every tutorial is the same. When I go to do it, it doesn't work. I don't have a Microsoft account. I specified a local account... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CVRIV, Nov 25, 2015.

1. CVRIV Win User

How to gain access to the WindowsApps folder?

I already googled it and every tutorial is the same. When I go to do it, it doesn't work. I don't have a Microsoft account. I specified a local account user name. This is what I'm selecting as owner. The computer is not transferring access to the user im selecting.

I want to gain access to this folder, because this folder is on my friggin data drive!?!? I have a 1Tb drive partitioned into 3. The OS is installed on one partition, I install all my programs on the second partition, and I save all my crap on the 3rd partition. Well, I found the windows apps folder on my data partition and I want it out of here. I want it to go back to where ever it came from. I think when I was messing around with all the windows settings, under storage I specified that everything is saved to my data drive, even apps. I dont use apps. I dont want this folder on my data drive.

How do I move it back to where it came from? How to gain access and move it.

Thanks.

:)

CVRIV, Nov 25, 2015
  2. thum4 Win User

What is 'windows apps' hidden folder and why can't I access it?

For some reason my 'WindowsApps folder is on my D drive with all my data. I was accessing my 'User' folder & somehow managed to move it into 'WindowsApps' folder. (don't ask). I can see the 'Users' folder there but am denied access. Have tried accessing
    the 'WindowsApps' folder as per 'Gain access to to the folder C:\Program Files\WindowsApps query, (with appropriate modification) but to no avail. Cmd prompt gives

'D:\WindowsApps\Users: Bad Data.

Successfully processed 1files; Failed processing 1 files.

All my data, photos & audio is in the 'User' folder so badly need access.

thum4, Nov 25, 2015
  3. WindowsApps Folder

Hey, how are you doing.

I've got a problem, I had a file of passwords compressed in RAR format that I was hiding under WindowsApps folder. And then one day I was unable to access that folder. It was something along the lines. They are corrupted / This user doesn't have the access
    to these files anymore.

So I was fidling around under the "Advanced Security Settings for Windows Apps" to gain the full control again.

And also clicked : Replace owner on subconteiners and objects.

And now I can open the the WindowsApps folder, but it just shows as empty.

Please Help.

MikeMaroni1, Nov 25, 2015
  4. altae Win User

To gain write access you need to do two things:
    • Change ownership (it should be "TrustedInstaller") to an admin account
    • Grant that account write access

I'm not sure if it works with every admin account or if you need the "real" admin account which is hidden. It can be revealed by entering the following command in elevated cmd: net user Administrator /active:yes (or active:no do hide it again).

altae, Nov 25, 2015
  5. ARC1020 Win User
    I done the same thing last week. It's rather persistent and I couldn't change permissions to delete it either.

If the above post doesn't work, you can always move all your data off the partition to somewhere safe like a USB drive, format the partition to get rid of the Apps folder, then put your data back onto the partition.

Obviously, go to Settings > System > Storage > and change 'New Apps Will Be Saved To' back to C: drive first.

ARC1020, Nov 25, 2015
  6. CVRIV Win User
    I already changed the Apps dir back to C: and it's didnt do anything. So I will do what you said and just format that partition because thats easier than taking control of the apps folder. Thanks.

CVRIV, Nov 26, 2015
  7. wjbodin3 Win User
    It is going to most likely just come back. I got control enough of that folder to open the first level and see whats was inside to delete some stuff because I am having app problems with a select few ones but a lot of windows components are run from there, ones that are installed through updates and not the store. Such as the new skype from couple updates ago and music and video players that come with windows.

wjbodin3, Nov 26, 2015
  8. TrustMe Win User

I made a live Linux USB and keep it around for just such occasions. It's much easier than taking control of some folders.

TrustMe, Nov 26, 2015
  9. CVRIV Win User
    Well i formatted the drive and its gone. Hasnt come back yet. So from what your saying is that if i gain control of this folder, i can delete skype, xbox, and all the other BS apps that come with W10?

CVRIV, Nov 26, 2015
  10. CVRIV Win User
    Ugh, I dont know anything about that.

CVRIV, Nov 26, 2015
  11. lx07 Win User
    It is better (cleaner) to uninstall them than just delete from the folder. The powershell Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage removes the packages for that app from WindowsApps directory.

See here for some ways to do it Solved Remove-AppxPackage does not appear to be working in Windows 10 1511 - Windows 10 Forums

12. CVRIV Win User
    Oh ok. I thought there might be an uninstaller in the folder. Ill do that. Thanks.

CVRIV, Nov 26, 2015
  13. CVRIV Win User

LOL. When I go to Apps & Features in the settings... that menu crashes now*Smile

CVRIV, Nov 26, 2015
  14. evildog1 Win User
    someone know how to remove locked folder security and modify apps?

evildog1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to gain access to the WindowsApps folder? - Similar Threads - gain access WindowsApps

2. How do I gain permissions to access the WindowsApps file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I gain permissions to access the WindowsApps file?: I am unable to access the Windowsapps file within program files even though I am the only account on my pc. I have the administrator myself as the owner of the file but I am still unable to assign permission....
  3. How do I gain permissions to access the WindowsApps file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I gain permissions to access the WindowsApps file?: I am unable to access the Windowsapps file within program files even though I am the only account on my pc. I have the administrator myself as the owner of the file but I am still unable to assign permission....
  4. Accessing the WindowsApp folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing the WindowsApp folder: As the title states, I am trying to access the WindowsApp folder. However none of what I've found online has helped me acess it. I've tried changing owners, but I have failed. My PC is an HP Laptop with Windows 10 installed. Thanks for all of the help!...
  5. Accessing the WindowsApp folder

Accessing the WindowsApp folder: As the title states, I am trying to access the WindowsApp folder. However none of what I've found online has helped me acess it. I've tried changing owners, but I have failed. My PC is an HP Laptop with Windows 10 installed. Thanks for all of the help!...
  6. Accessing the WindowsApp folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. How do I gain full control over WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I gain full control over WindowsApps folder?: I want to install mods in my kingdom come copy, but I cant as it throws error 0x8000FFFF, hence not allowing my to do shit. I need to create folders, replace files and stuff. I could copy the files, but achievements are somewhat more important submitted by /u/iiTheBeast...
  8. How to Access Windowsapp Folder On External Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Access Windowsapp Folder On External Drive: Hello, I have been looking for a while and cannot seem to find an answer to my problem. That being said, I changed the location for windows apps to install to my new external ssd drive. The issue is that I am not allowed access to the windowsapp folder it created on said...
  9. How to gain access to WindowsApps folder not in C?

How to gain access to WindowsApps folder not in C?: Hello guys. I followed this guide to gain access for WindowsApps folder, and it worked. Now, I changed default drive for WindowsApps, to install Gears of War and Quantum Break(in future) in a larger drive. But the method to gain access to the WindowsApps folder, seem to not...
  10. How do I gain absolute control over WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I gain absolute control over WindowsApps folder?: Hi everyone, I play a game available on the Windows 10 app store called World of Tanks Blitz and many of the community members create customized camouflage patterns that you can apply to your tank. The game has its own camouflage patterns, but the more tech-savvy folks in...