Windows 10: How to gain full control over the system32 folder?

Discus and support How to gain full control over the system32 folder? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HelloMy computer's username is Steve and the PC's name is Steve-PC.I wish to have control over my system32 folder and all its subfolders and files, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SteveHi, Mar 8, 2017.

1. SteveHi Win User

How to gain full control over the system32 folder?

HelloMy computer's username is Steve and the PC's name is Steve-PC.I wish to have control over my system32 folder and all its subfolders and files, so I go to Windows | System32 | Properties | Security tab and see this:

How to gain full control over the system32 folder? [​IMG]

and I click on the Advanced button and get the System32 Advanced Security Settings dialogue box.

I click on that 'Change' link at the top of that dialogue box, and a 'Select User or Group' dialogue box appears:

What do I do next, please, to give Steve full control over the System32 folder?

Thank you.

Steve

:)

SteveHi, Mar 8, 2017
  2. Techgig Win User
    Techgig, Mar 8, 2017
  3. will not let me gain ownership or full control over data d drive

Hi Amy,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Method 1:

Step 1: Make sure that you are logged in as an administrator.

Step 2: Try to take ownership of the files and check if it helps.

Taking ownership of a folder from explorer

1) Locate the file or folder on which you want to take ownership in windows explorer.

2) Right click on file or folder and select “Properties” from
    Context Menu.

3) Click on "Security" tab.

4) Click on “Advanced” button.

5) Now click on "Owner" tab in
    Advanced Security Settings
    for User windows.

6) Click on Edit Button and select user from given Change Owner to list if user or group is not in given list.

7) Click on other users or groups. Enter name of
    user/group and click ok.

8) Now select User/group and click
    apply
    and ok. Check “Replace owner on subcontainers and
    objects” if you have files and folder within selected folder.

9) Click ok when Windows Security Prompt is displayed.

10) Now Owner name must have changed.

11) Now click Ok to exist from
    Properties windows

Once you have taken the ownership of file or folder next part comes is granting permissions to that file/folder or object.

If the above method doesn’t work, you could try taking ownership from the command line.

Or Taking ownership of a file or folder from command line

Open an elevated Command Prompt window.

To do so:

1) Right-click on Command Prompt, and then click
    Run as Administrator.

2) Type the following command and press ENTER:

takeown /f <foldername> /r /d y

4) To assign the Administrators group Full Control Permissions for the folder, use this syntax:

icacls <foldername> /grant administrators:F /T

The /T parameter is added so that the operation is carried out through all the sub-directories and files within that folder.

5). To know more information about the above commands, run these commands from a Command Prompt window.

takeown /?

icacls /?

Once you take ownership, you can grant permissions on those files or folders.

Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Mar 8, 2017
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Welcome to the forum.
    Sorry, but from a security standpoint that is a really bad idea. Even on general principles modifying the security of system folders is strongly discouraged. It is essentially an open invitation for malware to make a home in your computer. There are other problems as well. Windows was not designed to work that way. I have heard of it being done but with rather less than satisfactory results.

LMiller7, Mar 8, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    This is the heart of your system and changing permissions here can cause havoc if you don't know what you're doing. You already have access to most of System32 as an administrator anyway, what more do you need? With respect, if you need to ask how to change ownership or permissions you don't know enough to risk giving yourself full control.

Bree, Mar 8, 2017
  6. SteveHi Win User
    Hello

Thanks for your replies and concerns.

If I type this in Windows PowerShell

Code: Get-ChildItem C:\ -Recurse | Where {$_.extension -eq “.mp4”} | ForEach-Object { $_.FullName }[/quote] I should get a list on screen of all MP4 files on my C drive. The file extension is irrelevant. Instead, I get this:

That is, I do not have permission to access RtBackup which is a folder in system32 and so, I am prevented from working as I should be able to in PowerShell.

If it's possible to have full control over that RtBackup folder - without having control over the entire system32 folder, - then that would be fine.

How would I do that, please?

SteveHi, Mar 8, 2017
  7. Mystere Win User
    Get-ChildItem shouldn't require full access, just read access. So all you need to do is go to that folder, view it's security properties and add your account with read-only access.

Alternatively, are you running PowerShell elevated with Admin rights?

Mystere, Mar 8, 2017
  8. sml156 Win User

Contrary to popular belief System32 folder is not a virus.

The System32 folder holds hundreds of DLL files that are essential to your computer running properly.

Some examples include the service that handles sound on your PC, files that are essential to booting into Windows, resources that make fonts display correctly, and more. Also contained in this folder are executables for default Windows programs. For instance, Calc.exe launches the Calculator, and MSPaint.exe launches Microsoft Paint.

sml156, Mar 8, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    I should get a list on screen of all MP4 files on my C drive. The file extension is irrelevant. Instead, I get this:
    Access to the path 'C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup' is denied. [/quote] That is, I do not have permission to access RtBackup which is a folder in system32 and so, I am prevented from working as I should be able to in PowerShell. You say 'instead', but when I run that command it turns out to be 'as well' - ie. I get the full list of .mp4 files AND the access denied message. That particular folder is heavily protected, not even Administrator has access, only SYSTEM has control. As such, you are unlikely to find your .mp4 (or any other files of interest) there. It would be better to just ignore the error, in fact you can tell Powershell to do just that.

Code: Get-ChildItem C:\ -Recurse -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Where {$_.extension -eq “.mp4”} | ForEach-Object { $_.FullName }[/quote]

Apparently...

windows - What is stored in %Windir%\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup? - Server Fault

Bree, Mar 8, 2017
  10. SteveHi Win User
    Many thanks to you all for your replies.

Bree, this worked with no errors:

Code: Get-ChildItem C:\ -Recurse -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Where {$_.extension -eq “.mp4”} | ForEach-Object { $_.FullName }[/quote] as did this:

Code: Get-ChildItem C:\ -Recurse -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Where {$_.extension -eq “.mp4”} | ForEach-Object { $_.FullName } > C:\myMP4.txtC:\>[/quote] I didn't know that

Code: -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue[/quote] existed, so many thanks indeed!

Steve

SteveHi, Mar 8, 2017
  11. SteveHi Win User
    I am not quite sure how to add kudos or a thumbs up?

SteveHi, Mar 8, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    Glad I could help - there's a 'thumb' at the bottom left of each post, if you wish...

Thema:

1. How to gain full control over the system32 folder? - Similar Threads - gain full control

2. Windows folder system32 weights over 300gb...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows folder system32 weights over 300gb...: Hi, i got a problem with space on disc. After 2 days of fresh instalation Windows 11, i noticed that I don't have space on my disc. I have checked all folders and i noticed that folder "system32" have over 320gb - 320k of files. It's a brand new laptop. I'm ready to reinstall...
  3. Windows folder system32 weights over 300gb...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows folder system32 weights over 300gb...: Hi, i got a problem with space on disc. After 2 days of fresh instalation Windows 11, i noticed that I don't have space on my disc. I have checked all folders and i noticed that folder "system32" have over 320gb - 320k of files. It's a brand new laptop. I'm ready to reinstall...
  4. Windows\System32 full control

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows\System32 full control: Hello, i need to modify some files in Windows\System32The "owner" of that folder is TrustedInstaller. I can't do anything because Trusted Installer denies every action. Can someone tell me how to bypass and gain full control? I haven't found anything helpful in webOf course,...
  5. How to gain full control of used Win 10 laptop

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to gain full control of used Win 10 laptop: I bought my wife a new laptop. I took her old one. HP PAV X360 15-CR0010NR Intel® 8th Gen i5-8250U Windows 10.0.18362 I removed her account and made me the new admin. I was looking around and noticed that windows update was disabled. I went into services and tried to...
  6. How do I gain full control over WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I gain full control over WindowsApps folder?: I want to install mods in my kingdom come copy, but I cant as it throws error 0x8000FFFF, hence not allowing my to do shit. I need to create folders, replace files and stuff. I could copy the files, but achievements are somewhat more important submitted by /u/iiTheBeast...
  7. MYNAME\Administrator has "Folder Access Denied" - to a folder it has "Full control" over

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MYNAME\Administrator has "Folder Access Denied" - to a folder it has "Full control" over: I think the image says it a lot more succinctly than I could... [ATTACH] Do I need to changer the User Account Control Settings - remove notifications? - fact is, I didn't actually ask for access to this folder, the dialog box just popped up of its own accord. And I'll...
  8. How to gain control

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to gain control: Number one, I strongly suspect that Windows 10 FORCES me to take updates, and I strongly suspect that this is either the root cause or contributing factor in recent crash and lockup to inescapable Preparing Automatic Repair" hanging screen. Can't tell you version or build...
  9. How do I gain absolute control over WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I gain absolute control over WindowsApps folder?: Hi everyone, I play a game available on the Windows 10 app store called World of Tanks Blitz and many of the community members create customized camouflage patterns that you can apply to your tank. The game has its own camouflage patterns, but the more tech-savvy folks in...
  10. How to gain access to the WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to gain access to the WindowsApps folder?: I already googled it and every tutorial is the same. When I go to do it, it doesn't work. I don't have a Microsoft account. I specified a local account user name. This is what I'm selecting as owner. The computer is not transferring access to the user im selecting. I want...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system32 full control

2. full control properties

3. how to gain access to system32 folder

4. how to get full control of system32 folder in won 10,
  5. system32 folder full control