Windows 10: How to get a clean install of Win10

Discus and support How to get a clean install of Win10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have a Lenovo notebook that's running slowly due to a monitor driver situation. I ran reset from Win10 settings which didn't help. Then I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by twig2twig, Aug 30, 2020.

1. twig2twig Win User

How to get a clean install of Win10

Hello,
    I have a Lenovo notebook that's running slowly due to a monitor driver situation.
    I ran reset from Win10 settings which didn't help. Then I used Win media tool to make a boot usb and reloaded Win10. This didn't work either. Neither one even removed the desktop icons.

I did a search about flickering in Win10. It says it's a driver problem, and there were instructions for fixing it, but it's beyond my abilities.

2 questions :

1. If Win10 is cleanly reinstalled, won't it automatically search for and install the correct drivers?

2. How can I get a clean install of Win 10 as the 1st 2 ways failed?

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: IntelR CeleronR CPU N2930 @ 1.83GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 8
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3979 Mb
    Graphics Card: IntelR HD Graphics, -2042 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 117 GB 90 GB Free;
    Motherboard: LENOVO, Intel powered classmate PC
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I bought this refurbished from Wal-mart, and it's done all I wanted till this driver thing. I did a search about drivers, but it's beyond my abilities to do it.

Thank you for your help.

:)

twig2twig, Aug 30, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Aug 30, 2020
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Aug 30, 2020
  4. JeffBB Win User

Win10 clean install steps

• Client has laptop that came with Win8.1 (ASUS).
    • Does not have original Product Key though (on box, media, etc.). Copy is clean and has been activated.
    • From what I see, plan would be upgrading online to Win10 using upgrade app.
    • Activate.
    • Create Win10 install media (done previously).
    • Boot from that and do fresh install. (does this allow different partitioning of drives?)
    • Do I need activation key or how is that handled - now and in future if needed?

Thanks

JeffBB, Aug 30, 2020
Thema:

1. How to get a clean install of Win10 - Similar Threads - clean install Win10

2. How to install a clean copy of Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install a clean copy of Win10: I've created the MS Media Creation USB and when I boot it I only see the circulating Media Creation dots and no installation tools appear.Thus far I've changed my American megatrend ASUS Debluxe-Dual CMOS to only boot from the USB device that the Media Creation tool was put...
  3. Issues with clean Win10 Install

Issues with clean Win10 Install: [IMG]I don’t know how to write this I’m not great with computers but this is currently where I’m at and I have no idea where to go from here. I used IBuyPowers guide to fixing “Reboot and select proper boot media, or insert a boot device” and everything was going well up...
  4. Clean Install Win10, can‘t get passed Windows-logo

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean Install Win10, can‘t get passed Windows-logo: Hi there, I‘m so done with this pc, I signed up on reddit. I‘m about to gift this pc to my SO and it happened I can‘t finish my task. Here‘s what‘s up: 1. I had a trojan infect my SSD a few days prior. Since I could not get rid of it with malware detectors, I deleted my SSD...
  5. oobe error at win10 clean install

oobe error at win10 clean install: hello i am working on a old pc and get an weird error ik do a clean install with an original downloaded windows 10 iso so not cracket ore unattende bur original ik have to do a 32 bit install because it is a dell dual core p4 2.8 ghz and at 64 bits install it reports cannot...
  6. Can’t boot clean install of Win10

Can’t boot clean install of Win10: i have a dual boot setup and was not able to complete updates on one of the os’s so decided to do a clean install of it with the new update. Used a dvd install after downloading the iso file from MS, the install finished and i was able to get through the initia setup of the...
  7. BSOD off clean install of Win10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD off clean install of Win10: After installing windows 10, I am unable to get past the option select screen for timezone/keyboard languages and such without a critical process failure/bsod. Often times I will not even get that far, and it will simply crash the moment it boots. I have already attempted...
  8. Clean install Win10 with Update?

Clean install Win10 with Update?: I'm one of those people who generally does a clean install with every new major Windows release. The reason for this is general housekeeping: removing old software no longer needed, clearing out drivers and other files no longer used, etc. I'm curious how this sort of install...
  9. How to activate WIn10 Build 10240 CLean Install

How to activate WIn10 Build 10240 CLean Install: I installed Build 10240 on a brand new SSD drive with no problems. However, Windows rejects the the activation code I found on another post in this forum: How to activate the latest Windows 10 build - Microsoft Community That post says activation really isn't necessary,...
  10. How to wipe Win10 Clean?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to wipe Win10 Clean?: Hi, I would like to know how to wipe windows 10 clean due to the errors I've been getting recently, I've tried doing the tutorials but the settings app will not open. So is there any other way to wipe the computer clean? it would be appreciated if someone could help. 49515