Windows 10: How to get access to hidden files on another drive after reformat

Discus and support How to get access to hidden files on another drive after reformat in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I had some hidden files (media) on another drive, I reformated windows and now the hidden files wont open. Are they lost for good or is there some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ramen, Oct 8, 2015.

1. ramen Win User

How to get access to hidden files on another drive after reformat

So I had some hidden files (media) on another drive, I reformated windows and now the hidden files wont open.
    Are they lost for good or is there some way I may unlock them to open!

(WP10)

Thanks alot!

:)

ramen, Oct 8, 2015

2. USB drive access denied No security tab Windows 10

Hi

try accessing it using the hidden admin to check if it will work: Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7, 8, or 10

Other option is to copy files to a different computer, reformat the thumb drive to FAT32 put the files back in and check if that fixes the problem.

Gina Coleman, Oct 8, 2015
  3. Denial of access to files on multiple usb flash drives

The drives were reformatted as FAT32 or NTFS? If the former then it's a head-scratcher for sure.

RobertJWin, Oct 8, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Open File Explorer, select the View tab, check the hidden items check block?

NavyLCDR, Oct 8, 2015
  5. ramen Win User
    No the problem is I can see them(after enabling that), I can move them. I just cant open them. cant access file error.
    (I think requires permission from my previous account, which i obviously dont have access to any longer)

ramen, Oct 8, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Oct 8, 2015
  7. ramen Win User
    I only ever marked them as hidden I assumed that didnt encrypt them. but im thinking i may be wrong..

Basically they were hidden went from Wp10 to linux mint. a week later went from linux mint back to wp10
    I dont think i accessed the files when in linux. but regardless.
    they wouldnt open.

If i try to move it to another hard drive it will say you need administrative permission to move the file.
    and it wont allow me to do so.

ramen, Oct 8, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Well, do the steps in the tutorial to take ownership of them. Hopefully that works.

NavyLCDR, Oct 8, 2015
  9. ramen Win User
    Thanks, tried that yesterday, unfortunately didnt help either.

ramen, Oct 8, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    K. In file explorer, click the view tab. All the way on the right of the menu bar, click options. In folder options that pops up, click the view tab. About 1/2 way down the advanced options list, click the check mark for show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color. Do the files in question appear in green (I think) for encrypted? I think compressed files are blue. IIRC.

Also, have you checked the security properties of the files?

There is also an extreme option you can try. Make an image file of the partition the files are on using Macrium Reflect Free. Then mount the image file back in Macrium Reflect Free and select the option that says "enable access to restricted folders". Try accessing the files from inside the Macrium Reflect Free image.

Macrium Reflect Free

NavyLCDR, Oct 8, 2015
  11. ramen Win User
    Files are Green,
    I have tried changing some security properties. But i dont think it helped unless i did something wrong..

thanks Ill take a look at that program tomorrow.

ramen, Oct 8, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Green means they were encrypted. If you didn't backup your encryption key from your previous installation, then there isn't much you can do now. The Macrium Reflect Free program won't decrypt files. It will only let you retrieve files while pretty much ignoring the security settings as in user access settings.

Did you make a system image backup of your previous OS? You could restore that to retrieve and backup your previous encryption key.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to get access to hidden files on another drive after reformat - Similar Threads - access hidden files

2. How to view files on an external drive which are hidden after update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to view files on an external drive which are hidden after update: The files on my external USB drive can't be seen on the drive after I updated my windows 10 drivers, how can I see the files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-view-files-on-an-external-drive-which-are/edfe207e-2844-4e1a-ad67-8698c58171f7
  3. How to view files on an external drive which are hidden after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to view files on an external drive which are hidden after update: The files on my external USB drive can't be seen on the drive after I updated my windows 10 drivers, how can I see the files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-view-files-on-an-external-drive-which-are/edfe207e-2844-4e1a-ad67-8698c58171f7
  4. How to view files on an external drive which are hidden after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. drives hidden in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    drives hidden in file explorer: Drives hidden since last Win 10 update. I see them in Disc Management but don't know how to make them visible again in File Explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drives-hidden-in-file-explorer/6f69f60d-5107-4d26-87a7-1a06601653e8
  6. Drive D: hidden files

Drive D: hidden files: I have a query. I reinstalled my Windows 10 system and since that date D drive has seemed empty. But antivirus scanning showed that it has 24 files there. I cannot find what files are there and what they contain. Help me to find what files are there...
  7. How To Access Hidden Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How To Access Hidden Drives: So I'm cleaning the computer from annoying Malware, and come across this app. Within this app, it states that 5 other drives are being protected, aside than the 3 physical drives that I have here: I want to get rid of all these other drives. [img] 154087
  8. How To Access Hidden Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Access Hidden Drives: So I'm cleaning the computer from annoying Malware, and come across this app. Within this app, it states that 5 other drives are being protected, aside than the 3 physical drives that I have here: I want to get rid of all these other drives. [img] 154087
  9. Getting Access to another network drive

Getting Access to another network drive: I have four computers on my network. I store all my files on one of the computers and the other three were able to access that computer whenever they needed to. I just replaced Verizon with Comcast but after they left I realized that I could no longer access the computer...
  10. How to reformat USB Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to reformat USB Recovery Drive: I used the "Create recovery drive" tool in Windows 10 to create a recovery drive on a USB stick. I no longer need that recovery drive and would like to use the USB stick for other things. I have been unable to erase or reformat the USB drive. I keep getting a write protection...