Windows 10: How to get back to Windows 7

Discus and support How to get back to Windows 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there. So I upgraded our son's Fizzbook Spin (basically a touch screen Eee PC) from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10. I used the Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hazel123, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Hazel123 Win User

How to get back to Windows 7

Hi there. So I upgraded our son's Fizzbook Spin (basically a touch screen Eee PC) from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10. I used the Microsoft download to usb and upgraded that way. Had done a full back up and system image of Windows 7 beforehand. It all worked perfectly, even all the installed Intel software, touch screen and so on. Except for the screen resolution which was slightly stretched. Found it was the Intel GMA 3600 driver missing so tried installing the Windows 7 one which crashed it and sent it into a loop. So I then wiped the disk with 0s and went to reinstall Windows 7 from the system image. I now find I can't boot this. Sometimes I can get into the boot menu (not always) but it doesn't boot and just refreshes the boot menu. So have now clean installed Windows 10 again - which is fine and the touchscreen works too and we didn't need all the junky intel software which he never used anyway.

Long story short it seems I am now stuck with Windows 10 without the correct screen resolution. After much reading around it seems the Intel GMA 3600 only works with Windows 7 and Intel are not going to make one for Windows 10. So just wondered if anyone had any tips on

a) How to reinstall Windows 7 from System Image (I'm assuming Windows 10 has prevented this).
    b) A work around or modded driver for the graphics/screen resolution

TBH our 7 year old will be happy with it the way it is - it's only slightly stretched - just to have Windows 10 and more games lol. But it would be nice to have it looking better. Or Windows 7 back with all original software installed.

The Processor is the Intel Atom Cedar Trail N2600

:)

Hazel123, Oct 11, 2015
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Oct 11, 2015
  3. How to get back to windows 7 from recovery disk?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community.

I understand that you are getting the blue screen error while downloading the game in Windows 10

To assist you better please provide few details.

1. From where you are downloading the game?

2. Is the issue specific to the particular game?

3. Did you tried downloading other games?

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA Stop message/error occurs when requested data is not found in memory. The system generates a fault, which normally indicates that the system looks for data in the paging file. In this
    circumstance, however, the missing data is identified as being located within an area of memory that cannot be paged out to disk. The system faults, but cannot find, the data and is unable to recover. Faulty hardware, a buggy system service, antivirus software,
    and a corrupted NTFS volume can all generate this type of error.

Let's try the below methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Perform the clean boot and try to install the game.

A clean boot is a troubleshooting technique that allows you to get the computer up and running so that you can perform diagnostic tests to determine which elements of the normal boot process are causing
    problems

Follow the link below to do clean boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps from section“How to reset the computer to start
    as usual after clean boot troubleshooting”
    to reset the computer to start as usual.

Method 2: You may try to install the game in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to install the game in compatibility mode.

a. Right-click on the game setup file and click on ‘properties’.

b. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select a previous operating system from the drop down menu.

c. Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

You may also contact the game manufacturer and check if there would any updates or patches that would make the game work on Windows 10.

Method 3: Refer The link below for
    Troubleshoot blue screen errors.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

Also I suggest you to install all the latest drivers and check .

Refer this link: How to install and update Drivers

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Suvarna Govinda, Oct 11, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

What about "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" in Windows 10? Does that work?

NavyLCDR, Oct 11, 2015
  5. Hazel123 Win User
    Thanks. I looked at that and tried it, inserting the usb and restarting but it just reloaded Windows 10 again. It seems to bypass the boot menu. If I take the battery out and start again I can get the boot menu but it just refreshes rather than booting from the usb (although it will happily boot from the Windows 10 usb). The Windows 7 image on usb was made with the Fizzbook's installed imaging program so I might try an older image I have on a portable hard drive that was made with W7 back up and restore. I think the bios must have been altered by Windows 10 because I have been able to image previously even on a brand new drive.

A clean install of Windows 7 might work - not sure how I can activate it though as it was Windows 7 starter with Anytime Upgrade to Windows 7 home premium, so two different product keys.

Hazel123, Oct 11, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Oct 11, 2015
  7. Hazel123 Win User
    Hazel123, Oct 11, 2015
  8. Hazel123 Win User

Thanks! Will try that.

I think I'll see what he thinks of the stretched windows 10 first. Cortana works which he will like How to get back to Windows 7 :) Such a shame about that driver - Intel really should make one - or Microsoft.

Incidentally, can you dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7? I know I'd need another Windows 7 disc as Windows 10 is an upgrade to current licence.

Hazel123, Oct 11, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, lots of people are dual booting Windows 7 and 10, including myself.

NavyLCDR, Oct 11, 2015
  10. Hazel123 Win User
    Ok - I've given up with Windows 10 on this machine - the games don't run so it clearly needs the non-existant driver. So now I have to work out how to get Windows 7 back on it again - ideally from a system image as it has all the touch screen stuff on it. Tried back up and restore in Windows 10 but it couldn't find an image. So am wiping the drive and going to try getting system image on from usb again. I do actually have recovery discs but not sure if my portable dvd drive will work now.

Hazel123, Oct 11, 2015
  11. Hazel123 Win User
    Ok I'm sorted. My usb dvd drive works on this machine and am reinstalling Windows 7 from recovery discs and will then reinstate the system image.

Hazel123, Oct 11, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Good luck! I've never trusted Microsoft built in system images. I've always used Macrium Reflect Free without any issues. My feeling is if I am making a system image to protect myself from some type of operating system failure do I really trust that same operating system to make and restore a backup image?

NavyLCDR, Oct 11, 2015
  13. Hazel123 Win User

Good point - and you were right! I've ended up just reinstalling from recovery discs, doing all the updates and re-downloading programs. The System image was of the upgraded Windows 7 Home Premium (upgraded from Starter) - wouldn't work in Starter.

Hazel123, Apr 4, 2018
Thema: