Windows 10: How to get completely blank screen when display is shut off.

Discus and support How to get completely blank screen when display is shut off. in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Windows 10 - 1909 Using Control Panel > All CP Items > Power Option > Edit Power plan settings. I can set the timeout for the screen - it's an external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by jacksonmacd, Nov 3, 2020.

1. How to get completely blank screen when display is shut off.

Windows 10 - 1909 Using Control Panel > All CP Items > Power Option > Edit Power plan settings. I can set the timeout for the screen - it's an external monitor connected to a notebook computer. For experimenting, I set the value to 1 minute under "When plugged in", and the screen goes blank as expected.

However, the monitor backlight is still activated so the screen is dark gray instead of pure black. It's noticeably different than the notebook screen which is completely black. When I move the mouse to reactivate, the external monitor backlight goes out for a few seconds, and screen goes completely black before it "comes alive" with the actual program content. I've tried every combination of power options and screensavers I can find to try to make it go completely black. I **think** it used to go completely black until perhaps six months ago, but I can't be certain. Recently purchased a new external monitor, and it behaves the same as previous monitor. I've begun turning off the monitor so it doesn't light up the room in the middle of the night, which is a minor annoyance.

How can I make the screen go completely blank when the computer is not being used, other than using the monitor power switch?

:)

jacksonmacd, Nov 3, 2020

2. How to get completely blank screen when display is shut off.

I use a blank screen saver.

How to get completely blank screen when display is shut off. [​IMG]

OldNavyGuy, Nov 3, 2020
  3. steve108 Win User
    How to get completely blank screen when display is shut off.

This works well if you can wait for the configured wait time. The method I posted will blank the screen immediately upon Win+L.

steve108, Nov 3, 2020
  4. How to get completely blank screen when display is shut off.

Blank Screen

Hi Virginia,

Conflicts with third-party software and outdated graphic drivers are common contributors to the black screen issue that you're having. To isolate the said issue, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Are you getting any error messages before getting a blank screen?
    • Are you experiencing this when using a particular app?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer settings prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you refer to this
    article
    which talks about the steps you can take to resolve blank screen errors.

We'll wait for your response and assist you accordingly.

Angela Pun, Nov 3, 2020
Thema:

How to get completely blank screen when display is shut off.

1. How to get completely blank screen when display is shut off. - Similar Threads - completely blank screen

2. Blank program when shutting off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blank program when shutting off: Heyo, so, I turned off my PC today and as it turned off the usual stuff came up, steam is stopping the system from shutting down yada yada goes away in a few seconds, but today a weird blank program showed up with it, it had no icon and no name too, I'd wager it's probably...
  3. How to get completely blank screen when display is shut off.

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get completely blank screen when display is shut off.: Windows 10 - 1909 Using Control Panel > All CP Items > Power Option > Edit Power plan settings. I can set the timeout for the screen - it's an external monitor connected to a notebook computer. For experimenting, I set the value to 1 minute under "When plugged in", and the...
  4. Display / Blank screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Display / Blank screen: My Screen display is blank. I can tell its back lit and i can ocassionally see my cursor and the swirling blue circle of processing, but i cant see anything else on screen....
  5. Display on screen blank

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display on screen blank: Display of laptop wont function, but if I connect an HDMI to the laptop screen shows. All projection options functioningextend to displays, duplicate displays, display screen 2 only all good except for display 1 which is the laptop monitor. Cant see anything in the screen if...
  6. How can I shut off Cortana completely

in Cortana
    How can I shut off Cortana completely: I don't want to use Cortana nor Edge. I shut them off but they must be running because when I clean my temporary files there are plenty of temporary files being produced. What if I used Regedit and deleted every file named Edge and Cortana....
  7. Display screen will not shut off at designated time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Display screen will not shut off at designated time: It doesn't matter what time I change it to, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, the display monitor won't turn off. I'm guessing it is one of the recent Windows 10 updates since this is a recent problem. Any help will be appreciated, It's getting old turning off...
  8. SHUTTING OFF FULL SCREEN DISPLAY?

in Windows 10 Customization
    SHUTTING OFF FULL SCREEN DISPLAY?: HOW DO I ESCAPE THE FULL SCREEN MODE? ESC DOESN'T WORK BY ITSELF.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutting-off-full-screen-display/db860f0b-4b7c-4cf0-a697-0a158defe7af
  9. Shutting down laptop and turning on later displays a blank screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutting down laptop and turning on later displays a blank screen: Hello, I just recently bought a GT73VR Titan Pro gaming laptop. I have a problem though. When I go to windows start button->shut down and then turn it on the next day it always displays a black screen and it forces me to hold the power button to turn it off and turn it...
  10. How To Shut Off Complete Power On Hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Shut Off Complete Power On Hibernate: Hello, Every time I Hibernate the computer, the external USB mini hard disk drive turns off, yet the LED flashes on & off until I bring back the computer from Hibernate. Also, I have an old school 3rd-party iPod Video dock connector that has a green LED light on it. That...