Windows 10: How to get drive letter assigned automatically ?

Discus and support How to get drive letter assigned automatically ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Every week I clone my SSD to two other SSDs; when I connect the first of those target SSDs, a drive letter is assigned, and so it shows in File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sebastian42, Oct 4, 2017.

1. How to get drive letter assigned automatically ?

Every week I clone my SSD to two other SSDs; when I connect the first of those target SSDs, a drive letter is assigned, and so it shows in File Explorer, and cloning can proceed. The second target SSD appears in Disk Manager - where I can allocate a drive letter to it, and only then it shows in File Explorer. I want a reason for that discriminatory behaviour, or better still, a remedy to make drive letter allocation as automatic for the second as for the first SSD clone.

:)

Sebastian42, Oct 4, 2017

2. Windows 10 bug - USB Drive vs NAS drive mapping conflict

Hello Hector,

NAS Drivers were assigned drive letters using the Command prompt with the /persistent:YES flag.

Internal SDD/HDD/CD/DVD were assigned drive letters using diskmgmt.msc.

My question is not, how to assign drive letters, but, why Windows 10, assigns a currently assigned drive letter (although not connected) to a USB drive, which then can't be seen ?

e.g. H: is assigned to \\HOME\MyUserId

the HOME NAS server isn't online, so the H: drive icon is shown with a Red x, indicating that it's unable to connect to that drive.

I now plug in a USB Drive. The drive is automatically given the drive letter H:, but because H: is already mapped to a NAS drive, the USB Drive isn't displayed until I delete the NAS drive mapping.

Why can't Windows 10, select the next available free drive letter ?

Are there any registry settings involved with the assignment of drive letters to external USB drives ?

EnglishmanInJapan, Oct 4, 2017
  3. Windows 10 doesn't assign letter for 2nd partition

I've formatted external USB drive (4TB) on Windows 7, creating 2 partitions (NTFS and exFAT).

When I plug this drive to Win7, all partitions are mount correctly and drive letters are assigned.

But when plug the same disk to Win10, drive letter is automatically assigned only to the first partition. The second partition is not visible in explorer till I assign letter manually. I thought that issue is related to conflicting drives with the same letter,
    but it also happens when there are no any conflicting drives...

Is it some Win10 limitation? Why the second partition doesn't receive drive letter automatically?

Paul Weinmeister, Oct 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

How to get drive letter assigned automatically ?

Hi, you can allocate a drive letter to one external drive using Drive Management, and that will remain true... ideal for backup drives e.g.

However, you can only have one physical drive so assigned to that letter. Any other drive must be allocated a different letter.

If both are assigned the same letter, the last inserted 'steals' it.

Note: we strongly recommend using disk imaging to back up Windows, disks and partitions. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free).

dalchina, Oct 4, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    Alternatively, you don't need to use drive letters - you can use the GUID of the drive which (should be) unique.

For example you can backup to \\?\Volume{e862fd21-bb78-4f82-8e79-30325125c9c2}\backups\ not F:\backups\.

That may be an option depending what software you use to make the backup (or clone). Macrium and Paragon allow this so presumably all the others do too. This is the option in Macrium...

How to get drive letter assigned automatically ? [​IMG]

Otherwise (as @dalchina said) just assign them different letters and as long as these letters aren't used by something else (like plugging in a USB stick) then they should remain the same. For that reason assign letters towards the end of the alphabet (but not Q as that is used by Office click-to-run).

lx07, Oct 4, 2017
  6. I am quite satisfied with the cloning that I do and achieve; I am interested only in getting the second SSD allocated a drive letter as happens to the first. At the time of cloning they are BOTH INTERNAL HDDs - NOT externals. In case it needs saying, they are connected one at a time, NOT both together; so the PC has Primary-SSD and SSD1; OR Primary-SSD and SSD2.
    I have used Macrium before and see no reason to change back to it from the cloner that I use. The PROBLEM occurs before cloning is attempted.

Sebastian42, Oct 4, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Using internal disks for your only backup isn't a great option- think power failure, flood, fire, theft... which is why we assumed you were talking about external disks. Anyway, it's your choice of course..

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to get drive letter assigned automatically ?

1. How to get drive letter assigned automatically ? - Similar Threads - drive letter assigned

2. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  3. Order of drive letter assignment

in Windows 10 Customization
    Order of drive letter assignment: I have a desktop system with a C drive (SSD), a D (Raid SATA) , E (SSD). I also have an Epson WP-4535 connected via a USB port. For whatever reason, Windows assigns the next three drive letters to the printer, I'm not clear why. These assignments don't show up explorer, or...
  4. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  5. Windows doesn't assign drive letter automatically

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows doesn't assign drive letter automatically: Hi! Till tomorrow my 2TB WD elements Drive having single partition works fine. Automatically detection of drive and drive letter was assigned automatically. But today I am facing some strange issues regarding this drive. 1. After plug-in the drive, disk management shows...
  6. Change drive letters assigned

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change drive letters assigned: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  7. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  8. Cannot Assign Drive Letter

Cannot Assign Drive Letter: Normally when a drive has no drive letter, I can assign one in disk manager but not this time. Disk Manager does not provide the option of assigning a drive letter so I cannot use the drive??? [img] 111481
  9. Trouble Assigning Drive Letters

Trouble Assigning Drive Letters: Okay, I recently moved my complete MAME set to an external hd, which my computer designated "D." I also backed up my computer to a separate external hd, which my computer designated as "K." I want the backup hd to be "D" and the MAME hd to be something else. I selected...
  10. Cannot assign a drive letter

Cannot assign a drive letter: Hi folk. I have an external drive where the electronics of the case has failed. I have switched the drive into my pc so that I can use it as an internal drive. The drive is still operational but I cannot see it listed in my drives. Opening up disk manager shows the drive is...