Windows 10: How to get folders to open in a new window ONLY in search

Discus and support How to get folders to open in a new window ONLY in search in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello,Is there anyway to make folders open in a new window by default ONLY when using search in file explorer?I remember in XP there was a separate... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by SirTedDanson, Aug 5, 2021.

1. How to get folders to open in a new window ONLY in search

Hello,Is there anyway to make folders open in a new window by default ONLY when using search in file explorer?I remember in XP there was a separate search tool, when you would search your PC it would give you a list of results much like in Windows 10 but double clicking on something in the list of results would open a new window and the list of search results would remain. The normal browsing of files however would stay in the same window. My main issue is that when looking for something on my PC the file explorer has to redo the search process every time you click on something on the list of

:)

SirTedDanson, Aug 5, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 5, 2021
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, Aug 5, 2021
  4. KomouPoji Win User

How to get folders to open in a new window ONLY in search

Whenever I open a folder, it opens in new window (Windows 10)

Hi Pratyaksh,

To assist you further, let me ask.

• What changes have you make in the folder options?

• Is the error specific to a folder?
    I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it help.

• Open file explorer, click on view and select options.

• Double-click on options, in the general tab click on Open each folder in the same Window.

• Click apply and ok.
    I hope the information is helpful and if you need any other assistance on Windows, we’ll be glad to assists you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Aug 5, 2021
Thema:

How to get folders to open in a new window ONLY in search

1. How to get folders to open in a new window ONLY in search - Similar Threads - folders open window

2. Why Windows search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Windows search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser?: The issue the user is facing is that when opening pdf files from windows search they always open in the browser and not in Adobe Acrobat.If the pdfs are opened from windows explorer they open in the application.If the pdfs are copied to a local folder that is not...
  3. Why Windows search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why Windows search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser?: The issue the user is facing is that when opening pdf files from windows search they always open in the browser and not in Adobe Acrobat.If the pdfs are opened from windows explorer they open in the application.If the pdfs are copied to a local folder that is not...
  4. how to get a folder location after search?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to get a folder location after search?: 1. I search for my gif folder in my second drive D:2. I get the search results and there it is! So I double click on the folder.3. In the top entry field, it shows "Search Results in Mydrive D: > gif". I think that is okay ?.4. When I move the cursor to the top entry field,...
  5. how to get a folder location after search?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to get a folder location after search?: 1. I search for my gif folder in my second drive D:2. I get the search results and there it is! So I double click on the folder.3. In the top entry field, it shows "Search Results in Mydrive D: > gif". I think that is okay ?.4. When I move the cursor to the top entry field,...
  6. How to make Windows Photo Viewer open only search results instead of entire folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to make Windows Photo Viewer open only search results instead of entire folder?: If I search for pictures and open in the Photos App, I can use the arrow keys to navigate to the next picture displayed in the search results.However, if I open the same picture from search results using Windows Photo Viewer, using the arrow keys just displays the next file...
  7. Search for hidden files/folders only

in Cortana
    Search for hidden files/folders only: In file explorer, is there a way to only show hidden folders/files? Or search and find only hidden files/folders in say the Documents folder. I don't need to know how to turn on show hidden files option. I know about that. I want to find ONLY hidden files/folders so I can...
  8. How to get cortana to open folders

in Cortana
    How to get cortana to open folders: I have been trying to tell Cortona to open folder: University Stuff, Sales Force, Family Pictures and Movies & TV Series. But, unfortunately all she can able to do is open internet source, apps and settings. I would like to know is this feature exist in current updated...
  9. Windows search not opening folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows search not opening folders: Hi everyone, Up until a few days ago when I clicked the windows key and typed C:\projects (or any folder) and clicked enter that location would open. This is no longer working and I have no idea why. I can still open applications but I can't open any folder locations. Is...
  10. Can Search Open in a new window?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can Search Open in a new window?: I just upgraded from Windows 10 and the search is terrible. Can't find apps or files and takes forever. Is it possible to get the search to open in a new Windows like I could with Windows 7? 19055