Windows 10: How to get full permissions for C drive folders?

Discus and support How to get full permissions for C drive folders? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have spent a ridiculous amount of time Googling this now, going from forum to forum and am now (understandably, no?) feeling very irritated! *sarc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by martinlest, Oct 14, 2018.

1. How to get full permissions for C drive folders?

I have spent a ridiculous amount of time Googling this now, going from forum to forum and am now (understandably, no?) feeling very irritated! *sarc Why on earth do Microsoft design Windows 10 Home Edition so that dialogue boxes come up telling you to contact the system or computer administrator? I mean, really! Who do they imagine that will be in 99% of cases?

Anyway, the issue (you can doubtless guess all from the thread title): I want to edit a cfg file in a folder in Program Files (x86), but I am told it is read-only, as are all the files in the Program Files folders. I have gone round in circles since then following advice on forums (including Microsoft Help) that go nowhere. I need to 'set permissions' (never been a problem in Windows 7, but here I can't do it), or 'Take possession' of the folder. It all hinges on me going to Properties/Security and the editing what comes up under my user account (which is already an administrative raccount). But as far as I can see, none of the accounts that show up there (including the administrator account I created) has full permission, and all the check boxes are greyed out, so I can't change anything.

Is there any guru here who could help me solve this? I curse Microsoft (very gently and politely!) for making the Home Edition so user unfriendly in this respect. 'Contact your System Adminstrator' indeed!

Many thanks in advance. (I thought I might feel better for having got this off my chest, but I don't! Oh well... *really )

Martin

:)

martinlest, Oct 14, 2018

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Oct 14, 2018
  3. Windows 10 c: drive not accessable

I was trying to solve a problem I had with accessing several folders, following the steps on a web site, and

I got a message that the owner of the C; drive was being erased!

Since then I have no access to the c: drive, I keep getting "access denied", "you don't have the proper permissions", "you don't have read permission", and when I finally got into Safe Mode and clicked on C:/properties/security, it said "Owner: Unable to
    display current owner".

I've tried more methods than I want to list trying to get ownership of the C: drive and set permissions back where they belong.

Where is the c: drive owner entered? Would I need to RegEdit? If so, please provide step by step because all I know about RegEdit is that it's dangerous to mess with.....

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Dave Ahlberg

DaveAhlberg, Oct 14, 2018
  4. How to get full permissions for C drive folders?

Lot of MSI###.tmp folders created in c drive root folder

83Left click on c drive, right click-properties, security, click edit, permissions for everyone, check full control, modify, read and execute, list folder contents, read and write. Apply and O.K. No more empty folders.
    Greeting

NikolaNastasic, Oct 14, 2018
Thema:

How to get full permissions for C drive folders?

1. How to get full permissions for C drive folders? - Similar Threads - full permissions drive

2. C drive is getting full

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive is getting full: Hi Team,C drive is getting full without any files in it plz help to resolve the issueWindows 10.. C :/ Drive automatically full why.. Even if I free some Space again and again.. Best reason and Solution expected......
  3. C drive is getting full

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive is getting full: Hi Team,C drive is getting full without any files in it plz help to resolve the issueWindows 10.. C :/ Drive automatically full why.. Even if I free some Space again and again.. Best reason and Solution expected......
  4. C drive is getting full

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. C Drive is Getting Full Automatically.

C Drive is Getting Full Automatically.: Hello. Suddenly my PC's C drive is getting full automatically. When I start my PC it shows 78 GB free and then it's starts to slowly fill up and then storage sense notification comes up saying only 7 GB space is left. The bootup and shut down has become significantly slow. I...
  6. Drive c is getting full by it self for no reason

Drive c is getting full by it self for no reason: Hey guys , i amhaving a weird problem with my drive c , it's getting full by itself and after some days get more space by itself 5 days ago my c drive just had 3gb free and after that day it got 20 gb free and after that it turned to 8gb free and now to 11gb free its not...
  7. C Drive Getting Full for no reason

C Drive Getting Full for no reason: My C drive keeps getting full. Only around 45 MB is free out of 228 GB. The biggest folder I have in there is Windows 10 with around 3 GB. There are no large hidden files. I check the Windows/Logs/CBS. It is only around 150 MB. I removed all downloads, temporary files,...
  8. My C Drive is getting full and how to free up C Drive space?

My C Drive is getting full and how to free up C Drive space?: I don't want to use cleanup tool to free up C Drive space and I want to get more details about the useless files on C Drive. For example, I want to know what kind of files can be deleted without any negative effect. What is the location of junk files and how and why do they...
  9. C drive permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    C drive permissions: Any software or games I install, I install them in the default location C. if I am playing a game, the save files of the game by default gets saved in documents. Ever since updating windows, any software or game that tries to save something in documents is showing error. As...
  10. Drive C getting Full automatically

Drive C getting Full automatically: i've noticed that my C Drive (which windows is installed on it) gets filled every minute automatically without me downloading or doing anything let me explain a situation so you can understand exactly what i mean : i don't turn off my PC because i work with it almost 18 hours...