Windows 10: How to get HEVC codec from MS Store Windows 10

Discus and support How to get HEVC codec from MS Store Windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have just got a 4k Monitor and would like to view Netflix in 4k. In order to do this I need the HEVC coded for Windows 10. I have found the HEVC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jacobacci, Feb 2, 2021.

1. jacobacci Win User

How to get HEVC codec from MS Store Windows 10

I have just got a 4k Monitor and would like to view Netflix in 4k. In order to do this I need the HEVC coded for Windows 10.

I have found the HEVC codec in the Windows 10 Microsoft Store. However when I try to purchase it for 0.99$, the store wants me to input a US postal address.

My MS account has a Swiss address and the store does not seem to be able to identify me using this Swiss adress.

How can I solve this issue and get the codec?

:)

jacobacci, Feb 2, 2021
  2. nina Win User

Installation of HEVC codec

Any attempt to install HEVC codec, purchased from MIcrosoft Store, is a failure. What can be the reason?

nina, Feb 2, 2021
  3. Windows 10 getting HEVC H.265 Codec to use Hardware Acceleration

GoPro Quik uses the codec from the store app "HEVC Video Extensions", which does not support Hardware Acceleration for desktop programs like Windows Media Player and GoPro Quik when the Computer has a dedicated graphic card. There is no solution to this problem untill either Microsoft fixed their "HEVC Video Extensions" or GoPro fixes this by using other or built in codec for HEVC.

Arne H. Bitubekk, Feb 2, 2021
  4. How to get HEVC codec from MS Store Windows 10

Windows 10 getting HEVC H.265 Codec to use Hardware Acceleration

Playing HEVC H.265 videos using Windows Media Player and GoPro Quik then the 4k 60 fps video appears all stuttering and becomes a slideshow. The CPU usage is going through the roof and it's not using Hardware Acceleration. I have installed the "HEVC Video Extensions" from Microsoft Store. When I use the app "Movies & TV" for playing the video file then it uses around 1% CPU and Hardware Acceleration seems to be enabled.

How can I get Windows Media Player and GoPro Quik to use Hardware Acceleration?

"HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer" (Free version that works with licence software like GoPro Quik): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/hevc-video-extension/9n4wgh0z6vhq

I have tried following:

1. Uninstall all codecs, also the "HEVC Video Extensions" from Store: Windows Media Player plays only the sound, screen is black. Unable to open video in GoPro Quik
    2. Installed K-Lite Codec Pack (w/HEVC codec): Windows Media Player plays the video with both video and audio smoothly. The playback is hardware accelerated as it only used 1% CPU. Unable to open video in GoPro Quik
    3. Install "HEVC Video Extensions" from store (Regardless if K-Lite is installed or not): Windows Media Player plays video with both video and audio but it's stuttering. Playback is not hardware accelerated and it uses near 100% CPU. GoPro Quik is now able to open and edit the video but it's stuttering, using 100% CPU on playback and hard to edit the movie

System specifications:

• Windows 10 Pro N, Version 1803, OS Build 17134.165
    • Intel i7-8700K @ 3.7Ghz (8th gen, coffee lake, newer then Kaby Lake)
    • 16 GB Ram
    • Nvidia GeForce 1070 GTX (Driver version 398.82 which is the newest)

One solution would be using software like Handbrake to convert the video file from H.265 to H.264, but I consider that a "hack" as this really should work with my system spec.

Arne H. Bitubekk, Feb 2, 2021
Thema:

How to get HEVC codec from MS Store Windows 10

1. How to get HEVC codec from MS Store Windows 10 - Similar Threads - HEVC codec Store

2. Re-using the installed HEVC codec from the Microsoft store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-using the installed HEVC codec from the Microsoft store: Hi. Can anyone please confirm whether I can re-use the HEVC codec that I originally purchased from the Microsoft store to use on my existing win 10 pc .I am intending to buy a new Windows 11 PC and wondered if I have to re-purchase the codec to use on the Windows 11 PC. At...
  3. Re-using the installed HEVC codec from the Microsoft store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-using the installed HEVC codec from the Microsoft store: Hi. Can anyone please confirm whether I can re-use the HEVC codec that I originally purchased from the Microsoft store to use on my existing win 10 pc .I am intending to buy a new Windows 11 PC and wondered if I have to re-purchase the codec to use on the Windows 11 PC. At...
  4. WIndows 11 HEVC Codec installed from Microsoft store but it is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows 11 HEVC Codec installed from Microsoft store but it is not working: Got new PC, fresh installed Windows 11 through upgrade from Windows 10. When I tried to run H.265 video on Microsoft Media Player, it gave me "Codec HVEC" missing error. I downloaded paid $1 from Microsoft Store and istalled . rebooted computer but getting error codec still...
  5. WIndows 11 HEVC Codec installed from Microsoft store but it is not working

WIndows 11 HEVC Codec installed from Microsoft store but it is not working: Got new PC, fresh installed Windows 11 through upgrade from Windows 10. When I tried to run H.265 video on Microsoft Media Player, it gave me "Codec HVEC" missing error. I downloaded paid $1 from Microsoft Store and istalled . rebooted computer but getting error codec still...
  6. HEVC Codecs

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    HEVC Codecs: im on windows 10 and cant get the codecs because im from the uk..when i put my card details in its asking for a post code which it wont take..plus its asking for a state ? i cant change the country...
  7. HEVC Codecs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HEVC Codecs: im on windows 10 and cant get the codecs because im from the uk..when i put my card details in its asking for a post code which it wont take..plus its asking for a state ? i cant change the country...
  8. HEVC Codecs

9. How to get HEVC Codec without paying for it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to get HEVC Codec without paying for it?: What the title said, I want to watch a certain video I downloaded but windows isn't letting me because I don't have the HEVC Codec, which costs money. PS: I don't want to use an application like VLC or something because I prefer the UI on the Windows Media Player a lot more....
  10. HEVC Codec Installer

HEVC Codec Installer: This won't download....