Windows 10: How to get horiz scrolling in Navigation Pane in Win 10 Explorer

Discus and support How to get horiz scrolling in Navigation Pane in Win 10 Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone, My fiance just got her first Windows 10 laptop recently, and the behaviour of Explorer is driving her nuts. The navigation pane on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by linuxgarou, Aug 31, 2017.

1. How to get horiz scrolling in Navigation Pane in Win 10 Explorer

Hello everyone,

My fiance just got her first Windows 10 laptop recently, and the behaviour of Explorer is driving her nuts. The navigation pane on the left will not scroll horizontally (neither with a horizontal scrollbar nor auto-scrolling as it did in previous versions of Windows), or at least we can't find the right option to enable either:

How to get horiz scrolling in Navigation Pane in Win 10 Explorer [​IMG]

This is pretty unusable as it is, so I'm hoping that someone can suggest something. She will switch to an alternate file manager (we've seen recommendations for Classic Shell and xplorer2) if necessary, but would prefer to stick with the Windows 10 file explorer if possible.

Thanks to everyone!

:)

linuxgarou, Aug 31, 2017

2. Windows 10 File Explorer Navigation pane auto scrolls after 15 seconds

I want File Explorer to start in a particular folder. To do that, I define a shortcut to explorer.exe, and add the required folder to the Target. If I run the shortcut, and then scroll down and select another folder in the Navigation pane, the Navigator
    pane scrolls back to the top 15 seconds after running the shortcut. I can reproduce the problem on three Windows 10 computers, as follows.

In File Explorer, choose ‘View > (Panes) Navigation Pane’, and check only ‘Navigation pane’ and ‘Expand to open folder’. Reduce the height of the window so that when C: is expanded, ‘Windows’ is not visible in the Navigation pane. Close File Explorer.

Create a shortcut to ‘C:\Windows\explorer.exe C:\’. Run the shortcut. In the Navigation pane, use the scroll bar to scroll down, and click ‘Windows’. The Navigation pane scrolls to the top 15 seconds after File Explorer was started. ‘Windows’ is still
    selected, but no longer visible in the Navigation pane.

This also happens with the standard File Explorer shortcut, but only the first time File Explorer is used after a restart. In the Navigation pane, click the arrow next to C: to expand the folder before scrolling.

With either method, if you delay doing anything for 15 seconds after the program starts, the problem doesn’t occur.

I have a plain Windows background color (no slideshow).

Mike Dallwitz, Aug 31, 2017
  3. Scroll Speed of Navigation Pane in File Explorer

I've set that setting to 3, but the navigation pane only scrolls one line per wheel step. All other applications and even the other panes of the Windows Explorer scroll by the correct amount.

It's very annoying that this explorer behaviour is different between Windows 7 and 10, as there's no obvious justification for that change. And if there is some actual reason (rather than some intern thinking it would be fun to hardcode his own preference
    into the Windows codebase), the ratio between normal scrolling and this "Special Explorer Navigation Pane Scrolling Speed" should be configurable somewhere.

Jérôme Vuarand, Aug 31, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

How to get horiz scrolling in Navigation Pane in Win 10 Explorer

Welcome to TenForums @linuxgarou

One suggestion would be to hover the mouse over the dividing line between the navigation pane and the list of files (it's the right-hand edge of the navigation pane's vertical scroll bar). When the pointer becomes a double-headed arrow you can click-and-drag to make the navigation pane wider.

I have mine set to about twice the width of the one in your screenshot.

Edit: and so apparently does Ztrucker in the following post.

5. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Aug 31, 2017
  6. Hi linuxgarou. Welcome to the TenForums @linuxgarou

I would add that I normally drill down in the right hand pane. You will still see where you are in the location bar.

Caledon Ken, Aug 31, 2017
  7. xpclient Win User
    Classic Shell allows adding a horizontal scroll bar so it's your best option. Install Classic Shell with the Explorer add-on. Check "Show all settings" checkbox at the top of the Settings window. Then go to the Navigation Pane tab. Pick whatever style you want - XP Simple or Vista. (XP Simple means single click to expand/collapse folders, Vista style means double click to expand/collapse).

There is also an option "Show horizontal scrollbar" and other nice goodies like "Don't fade buttons" which prevents the arrows for subfolders from disappearing once the focus moves into the right side file pane. *Smile

You'll have to close all existing Explorer windows and open them again for the changes to take effect. Also make sure the Explorer add-on for Classic Shell is properly enabled: Classic Shell: FAQ You must enable it via Internet Options in Control Panel. (Because in the past, Explorer and IE shared a common addon model). Windows/IE sometimes disables the add-ons by default.

xpclient, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to get horiz scrolling in Navigation Pane in Win 10 Explorer

1. How to get horiz scrolling in Navigation Pane in Win 10 Explorer - Similar Threads - horiz scrolling Navigation

2. Modifying the Navigation Pane in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Modifying the Navigation Pane in Explorer: This my Navigation Pane in File Explorer. It has 3 sections: the 2nd section is called "Quick Access". I don't know what sections 1 and 3 are called, but they are not helpful.How do I remove sections 1 and 3 from the Navigation Pane?I assume it's some registry setting that...
  3. Modifying the Navigation Pane in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Modifying the Navigation Pane in Explorer: This my Navigation Pane in File Explorer. It has 3 sections: the 2nd section is called "Quick Access". I don't know what sections 1 and 3 are called, but they are not helpful.How do I remove sections 1 and 3 from the Navigation Pane?I assume it's some registry setting that...
  4. Scrolling or using the keyboard in the Windows Explorer navigation pane?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scrolling or using the keyboard in the Windows Explorer navigation pane?: Hi!I don't like using the navigation pane in windows explorer because I can't browse as I normally would. I can't use the keyboard and the scroll wheel doesn't work, forcing me to click the narrow scrollbar and drag it as I search and then click the item I need manually.Is...
  5. Scrolling or using the keyboard in the Windows Explorer navigation pane?

Scrolling or using the keyboard in the Windows Explorer navigation pane?: Hi!I don't like using the navigation pane in windows explorer because I can't browse as I normally would. I can't use the keyboard and the scroll wheel doesn't work, forcing me to click the narrow scrollbar and drag it as I search and then click the item I need manually.Is...
  6. WIndows 10, File Explorer, Navigation Pane.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIndows 10, File Explorer, Navigation Pane.: I'm baffled by WIndows 10, File Explorer, Navigation Pane. This morning I had a "Picture" folder - appearing under "This PC" and "Local Disk C" - located in C/User/Bill. I then set my picture folder to backup to OneDrive. Suddenly my "Picture" folder has been put in a...
  7. Windows explorer - How to disable navigation pane auto scroll

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows explorer - How to disable navigation pane auto scroll: Hi, The issue I'm facing in my work laptop (Windows 10) and in personal laptop (Windows 8.1 update1). Due to restriction, I'm using screenshot from my personal laptop; but the issue is exactly same. This seems to be windows explorer bug, was present in Win 7, then in 8 and...
  8. Navigation Pane always opens scrolled at bottom

in Windows 10 Support
    Navigation Pane always opens scrolled at bottom: Hello All, This is a minor thing, but as we know after time small things become annoying. Every time I open File Explorer, or any folder, the Navigation Pane is scrolled at the bottom. I have to scroll to the top to access the Quick Access folders which kinda works against...
  9. File Explorer Navigation Pane. Uncontrollable scrolling.

File Explorer Navigation Pane. Uncontrollable scrolling.: When I move my cursor into the Navigation Pane of File Explorer, the scroll bar immediately and unstoppably starts scrolling to the top, here it stops. Any attempt to move it downwards or use the scrolling function on my mouse is thwarted by the bar immediately scrolling back...
  10. Windows Explorer Navigation Pane ... how to determine what gets listed

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer Navigation Pane ... how to determine what gets listed: I was wondering how Windows determines what gets displayed in the navigation pane? I saw this: This PC in Navigation Pane - Add or Remove in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums Drives in Navigation Pane - Add or Remove in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums But that is just for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows folder scrolling horizontally

2. explorer mostrar scroll horizontal windows 10

3. show preview pane horizontal slide bar in explorer

4. how to have horizontal folder scrolling