Windows 10: How to get into System Restore in a Virtual Machine?

Discus and support How to get into System Restore in a Virtual Machine? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I installed virtual box with win 10 to test custom themes. But if I get a black screen in the vm, how to get into system restore at boot without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by yahanna, Jan 23, 2018.

1. yahanna Win User

How to get into System Restore in a Virtual Machine?

I installed virtual box with win 10 to test custom themes. But if I get a black screen in the vm, how to get into system restore at boot without booting into the desktop?

:)

yahanna, Jan 23, 2018
  2. barb_699 Win User

How do I get into system restore w/o ctrl pnl or start

I need to do a system restore after user names gone, but cannot get into Control Panel, nor Settings, Start doesn't even work now.

barb_699, Jan 23, 2018
  3. barb_699 Win User
    How do I get into system restore w/o ctrl pnl or start

I ended up doing a repair install with in-place upgrade, and kept Windows.old files. Worked beautifully.

barb_699, Jan 23, 2018
  4. How to get into System Restore in a Virtual Machine?

PolarNettles, Jan 24, 2018
  5. yahanna Win User
    yahanna, Jan 24, 2018
  6. Maybe I'm not clear on what you're trying to do. How did you install Windows onto the guest in the first place? You would follow the same procedure but click on the Repair option instead of the Install option.

7. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey yahanna,
    As long as your VM sees your CD Drive or USB Stick, then it should boot from it when you restart the Guest OS. There is also F12 when you first start a VirtualBox VM that allows you to select boot options.

Note: I've never actually tried to boot/insall from a CD or USB in a VirtualBox VM. I always point the CD to the .ISO for install, you probably could do the same to get to repair options.

Eagle51, Jan 24, 2018
  8. Eagle51 Win User

Well DUH, never realized that there is no boot option for a USB Stick in VirutalBox, so you can scratch that one *Sad

Eagle51, Jan 24, 2018
  9. yahanna Win User
    What do you mean how did I install windows as guest in vm?? I hope youre joking.

Anyway I'll be a little more clear. If something should go wrong in the guest o/s where I can't boot to the desktop, HOW do I go into system restore at boot in the guest o/s?

I ask this cuz I'm testing win 10 custom themes. Before I vmed my pc, occasionally my pc would go black and I wouldnt be able to get to my desktop. The only way I fixed it was by doing system restore at boot. This is why I installed a vm to test these risky themes in a vm environment.

Hopefully this clears this up finally.,

yahanna, Jan 24, 2018
  10. yahanna Win User
    You know what? This is what I want which is easier...

Before something goes wrong with my guest o/s, I'd want to make a backup of it. Is it better to copy or clone a guest o/s in my case?

yahanna, Jan 24, 2018
  11. How to get into System Restore in a Virtual Machine? [​IMG]

How to get into System Restore in a Virtual Machine? [​IMG]

12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

easy way would be to have your restore program as an ISO which the VM could boot from (power on VM into hardware or set boot in the virtual Bios). Define a DVD/CD device in the VM as an image and point it to your macrium or other bootable restore .iso image.

You need to have the restore file available on an accessible HDD / device too. An external USB is good for this as you can add the USB device before powering on the VM.

Another way is simply to have a backup copy of the VMdisk files -- then just trash the current VM, copy back the previous virtual disk files and power on the VM again. Both methods are equally good IMO.

If re-copying the virtual disk and the VM is a Windows one - ensure you say I MOVED It rather than I Copied it if a box appears (does using VMware -- not sure about vbox) - if you don't do this Windows could have activation problems as you might have to re-activate Windows.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 24, 2018
  13. yahanna Win User

Wassup jimbo,

I think just simply coping the vm folder then deleting the main one and pasting the copy should do it. Its the simplest way i think.

One thing thats not right is that my vm is runnning slowly. I dont know what to do. What do you suggest?

yahanna, Jan 25, 2018
  14. yahanna Win User
    PolarNetties, you didnt read my question.

yahanna, Jan 25, 2018
  15. VBJP Win User
    VirtualBox lets you create snapshots of VM (it's like freezing current disk in time) you can revert VM to snapshot and it will restore OS to time when snapshot was taken, can have more then one snapshot taken at different times it's faster to create then clone and takes less disk space.

Thema:

1. How to get into System Restore in a Virtual Machine? - Similar Threads - System Restore Virtual

2. Clone a virtual machine on a different system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clone a virtual machine on a different system: Hello,I want to make a 1:1 copy of some Virtual Machines from system A and import them on a different system B using Hyper-V. Some have Windows Server 2016, Some Windows 10. I was wondering, will the Product ID be the same on both virtual machines after import?How can I...
  3. Clone a virtual machine on a different system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone a virtual machine on a different system: Hello,I want to make a 1:1 copy of some Virtual Machines from system A and import them on a different system B using Hyper-V. Some have Windows Server 2016, Some Windows 10. I was wondering, will the Product ID be the same on both virtual machines after import?How can I...
  4. Clone a virtual machine on a different system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Virtual Machine: So, I'm here to ask if using Windows in a VM virtual Machine Legal? Its cause I am not getting accurate answers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machine/c2e9e1fa-15e4-4532-9864-d114aa139b86
  6. virtual machines

virtual machines: I have windows 10 pro as my main os and i want a copy of the same os so i can play around with the system configurations without harming my main os. How can i do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machines/8896c12f-46cf-4120-a190-fb287326fdf3
  7. How to avoid virtual machines to be suspended "to improve system performance"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to avoid virtual machines to be suspended "to improve system performance": A VirtualBox VM, running on Windows 10, takes hours to get installed. It should really take something like 10 minutes. When I check the VM's status in Task Manager, I see a little leaf-like icon next to it. Hovering the mouse over that icon, a tool tip appears: "This UWP...
  8. Virtual Machine

Virtual Machine: I recently installed Hyper-V on my Lenovo Windows 10 machine and am trying to set up a Virtual Machine. I saw Andre Da Costa's post on Groovypost.com in regards to this. His post was dated January 11, 2019. I have not been able to access the BIOS setup screen, as pictured...
  9. virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    virtual machine: I want to build an oracle VM. I have a new PC with UEFI I am not used to. It is set to the old BIOS and secure boot is disabled. I found virtualization by searching and chose to change virtualization from disabled toe enabled. Is this what I should have done to use Oracle's...
  10. How Contained is a Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How Contained is a Virtual Machine: I guess I should know this but I don't. If I create a VM with say win version 1703 or 1709 or even DL the "latest and greatest" 1803 and let the updates fly will anything installed to that VM be written to the BIOS "outside" of the VM? Didn't either the Spectre or Meltdown...