Windows 10: How to get Microsoft Photos app for Windows to stop generating and displaying thumbnails...

Discus and support How to get Microsoft Photos app for Windows to stop generating and displaying thumbnails... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; When I view a photo in MS Photos for Windows, a row of thumbnails appears across the lower part of the photo. These thumbnails block part of the photo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by k222-1, Dec 8, 2022.

1. k222-1 Win User

How to get Microsoft Photos app for Windows to stop generating and displaying thumbnails...

When I view a photo in MS Photos for Windows, a row of thumbnails appears across the lower part of the photo. These thumbnails block part of the photo from view. They are a nuisance and I want to turn them off. How can I do this?

:)

k222-1, Dec 8, 2022
  2. 3lectr0 Win User

Windows 10 Photos app generates thumbnails in %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumbcache_*.db

Hello,

it is well known that thumbnail generation in Windows Explorer can be turned off by enabling:

"always show icons, never thumbnails".

This way no thumbnails will be stored in files like:

%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumbcache_*.db

However, it seems that the Photos app in Windows 10 uses the same thumbcache_*.db files

to store its own thumbnails. And it does not even care about the Explorer setting above,

so it even generates thumbnails when the above setting is enabled!

This is a huge privacy issue as nobody expects that a Universal Windows Platforms (UWP) app like

the Photos app generates thumbnails in a legacy Explorer folder (rather than using a folder in

C:\Users\SomeUser\AppData\Local\Packages\* as for example the Contacts app does).

IMHO Microsoft should at least make this behavior visible and allow to turn thumbnail

generation off in the Photos app settings.

Best regards

3lectr0, Dec 8, 2022
  3. Billb1111 Win User
    Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer

Thanks for your suggestion.

As "recommended for Windows 10", "Photos" is the default app for "Photo viewer" (.jpg isn't really listed as the file extension in the settings).

Do you have another app you would suggest?

By the way, my photos open and display just fine, the issue is the general absence of thumbnails in File Explorer.

Billb1111, Dec 8, 2022
  4. 0Kajuna0 Win User

How to get Microsoft Photos app for Windows to stop generating and displaying thumbnails...

Windows 10 stopped generating video thumbnails

Hi. A couple of weeks ago my pc stopped generating video thumbnails. It still generates them for other media (photos).

Things I've tried:

- Disabling and enabling "Use thumbnails not icons" in folder options

- Disabling and enabling "Use thumbnails not icons" in performance options

- Clearing thumbnails with Disk clean-up

- Clearing the thumbnail database with the command prompt

- Checking for disk or system errors

- Creating new users and checking if they see the thumbnails (they don't)

- Setting a different default app for videos (vlc, windows media player, films & tv...)

I'm using Windows 10 Home edition version 1909.

Thanks

0Kajuna0, Dec 8, 2022
Thema:

1. How to get Microsoft Photos app for Windows to stop generating and displaying thumbnails... - Similar Threads - Microsoft Photos app

2. Photos app - thumbnail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos app - thumbnail: I used to be able to select resize and the thumbnail option was always there, now it just displays pixel or percentage?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-thumbnail/a38f53d8-6bcf-4d30-87e5-a1e5c813803f
  3. Photos app - thumbnail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos app - thumbnail: I used to be able to select resize and the thumbnail option was always there, now it just displays pixel or percentage?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-thumbnail/a38f53d8-6bcf-4d30-87e5-a1e5c813803f
  4. How to get Microsoft Photos app for Windows to stop generating and displaying thumbnails...

How to get Microsoft Photos app for Windows to stop generating and displaying thumbnails...: When I view a photo in MS Photos for Windows, a row of thumbnails appears across the lower part of the photo. These thumbnails block part of the photo from view. They are a nuisance and I want to turn them off. How can I do this?...
  5. Most Thumbnails Stopped Displaying

Most Thumbnails Stopped Displaying: I have an extensive MP4 movie collection. Every movie file has been tagged with movie information, including the coverart. Until this past week, when I open the movie folder, the movie covers are displayed. After the last Windows Update KB5007186 OS Builds 19041.1348,...
  6. Pre-generate image thumbnails for remotely stored photos

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pre-generate image thumbnails for remotely stored photos: I have gotten kind of tired of running my own server for file storage and want to move it to a non Microsoft/Google/Amazon/Apple encrypted storage solution located outside the EU and US. The only thing stopping me at the moment is the large amount of photos my girlfriend...
  7. Windows 10 stopped generating video thumbnails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 stopped generating video thumbnails: Hi. A couple of weeks ago my pc stopped generating video thumbnails. It still generates them for other media photos. Things I've tried: - Disabling and enabling "Use thumbnails not icons" in folder options - Disabling and enabling "Use thumbnails not icons" in...
  8. Windows 10 Photos app generates thumbnails in...

Windows 10 Photos app generates thumbnails in...: Hello, it is well known that thumbnail generation in Windows Explorer can be turned off by enabling: "always show icons, never thumbnails". This way no thumbnails will be stored in files like: %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumbcache_*.db However, it seems...
  9. video and photo thumbnail not displaying

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    video and photo thumbnail not displaying: I can open photos and videos but it doesn't display the image/video on the thumbnail which is frustrating as I want to send some photos to someone but have to click on each image and open it to view it, same applies to videos, help!...
  10. Photos App - No Thumbnails

Photos App - No Thumbnails: On my neighbour's machine (that I did a clean install on) when they load pictures from their camera, and the Photo app launches, all the photos/pictures shown in the Photo app are blank - i.e. the thumbnails are not showing. On this machine thumbnails are set to show and if...