Windows 10: How to get rid of dummy account used during installation?

Discus and support How to get rid of dummy account used during installation? in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I messed things up during Windows 10 installation. I acquired a new SSD drive so I performed a fresh install. When prompted to insert the e-mail... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by LeoCarmo, Oct 6, 2019.

1. LeoCarmo Win User

How to get rid of dummy account used during installation?

I messed things up during Windows 10 installation. I acquired a new SSD drive so I performed a fresh install. When prompted to insert the e-mail address associated with my Microsoft account, I inserted a dummy e-mail that begins with my initials, something like *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. I did this because in my previous installation I had a bunch of important files that resided in my user folder, which was C:\Users\itsme, so I had to preserve that folder with that name.

My actual e-mail address (myemail@gmail.com), which is the one I use as my MSA, doesn't even resemble "itsme". So if I used my actual e-mail during the installation, my new user folder would be something like C:\Users\myema. I obviously didn't want to create a set of user folders with the path "C:\Users\myema", like "C:\Users\myema\Documents", "C:\Users\myema\Pictures" and so on.

Now, Windows is constantly prompting me to verify my account. Obviously I can't do that because "myboringemail.com" doesn't exist. But at some point I was asked for my actual e-mail address used by my Microsoft Account and I logged in, now Windows displays *** Email address is removed for privacy *** alongside my actual photo — so I guess Microsoft has matched these two e-mails — the real and the fake — to the same account. I have the user folder the way I wanted (C:\Users\itsme\...), but I can't verify, and I guess this has implications with OneDrive.

What should I do? I have already configured a lot of things under this user account and don't want to do over. I want to use my Microsoft account regularly AND preserve the C:\Users\itsme folder. I was not given an option to create a local account during installation, like I used to do before, then later login with the Microsoft Account.

My current version is 1903 18362.388.

:)

LeoCarmo, Oct 6, 2019

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Oct 6, 2019
  3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Oct 6, 2019
  4. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Oct 6, 2019
Thema:

1. How to get rid of dummy account used during installation? - Similar Threads - rid dummy account

2. How to get rid of the app used to open a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get rid of the app used to open a file: I play Sims 4 and accidentally made it where Notepad opens all of my mod files, I do not want that. I have tried CRTL - X and it doesn't work. I don't want my files to open with anything. All of my files now have the note pad icon instead of the original file icon....
  3. How do I get rid of all the features installed during update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get rid of all the features installed during update: How do I get rid of all the so-called Microsoft enhancements to Windows 11. I ONLY WANT SECURITY UPDATES. I have a dual NVMe system with Ryzen processor that used to boot in 4 seconds when I first installed windows 11. Now it takes 12 to 20 seconds to boot up and I don't have...
  4. How do I get rid of all the features installed during update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get rid of all the features installed during update: How do I get rid of all the so-called Microsoft enhancements to Windows 11. I ONLY WANT SECURITY UPDATES. I have a dual NVMe system with Ryzen processor that used to boot in 4 seconds when I first installed windows 11. Now it takes 12 to 20 seconds to boot up and I don't have...
  5. How to get rid of this

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to get rid of this: i'm using vietnamese telex keyboard and every time i want to use shortcut key in adobe this apear. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-rid-of-this/6d382a54-716b-4d72-b048-a57c5a79b41c
  6. How to get rid of this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to get rid of this?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/hmmm3973441 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/izbkfd/how_to_get_rid_of_this/
  7. How to get rid of an xbox account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get rid of an xbox account: I'm running Windows 10 on a desktop PC. Whenever I try to play Microsoft word games I get a pop-up window asking me to sign into what looks like an xbox account. I don't have an xbox. I don't want an xbox account. I just want to play these games as a guest. I do want...
  8. cpu miner what is the use for it and how to get rid of it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cpu miner what is the use for it and how to get rid of it: hey guys, CPU MINER comes up in the task manager (something to do with Bitcoins) and i want to get rid of it. Do not find anything in the registry, in fact do not find it anywhere. But i do not want it. Is there a program or something that i can do to solve this...
  9. How to get rid of strange white square on desktop during startup?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get rid of strange white square on desktop during startup?: I have some strange square every time I start Windows 10, which will be gone when I click on it. Something is run in the background. I see nothing when Windows is just loading. When ESET anti-virus loads, it's still okay. And then somewhere during that and the last few...
  10. how to get rid of this?

in Windows 10 Support
    how to get rid of this?: Hi guys: after i did a clean install of Win 10 TP, every time i boot too desktop i'm presented with this; see pic attach. 4481