Windows 10: How to get rid of GameInput Redistributable permanently?

Discus and support How to get rid of GameInput Redistributable permanently? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey guys, since a short while ago my laptop keeps crashing at random intervals. Not cool, but anyways. After checking the Reliability Monitor,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Aviiana, Oct 4, 2020.

1. How to get rid of GameInput Redistributable permanently?

Hey guys, since a short while ago my laptop keeps crashing at random intervals.
    Not cool, but anyways.
    After checking the Reliability Monitor, ''GameInput Redistributable'' is acting up; at the exact same time my laptop freezes, EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
    I'm sick of this needless garbage constantly having to make me force restart my laptop so does anyone know a way to just permanently get rid of it? How to get rid of GameInput Redistributable permanently? :)

I've already blocked automatic Windows Updates and deleted the program, but it just keeps re-installing itself regardless. My drivers are up to date as well.

submitted by /u/Aviiana
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Aviiana, Oct 4, 2020

2. "GameInput Redistributable" -- What is it, what's using it, how to get rid of it?

I don't necessarily want to uninstall the GameInput Redistributable. What I really want to do is figure out what, exactly, is blocking that update. Microsoft's told us it's blocked because of reasons. But, they've given us no visibility into what those
    reasons are (in my case, I'm just guessing it's GameInput Redistributable because it keeps popping up in Reliability Monitor and nothing else in their list seems to apply) or what, if any, progress is being made. For all I know, it's some trivial, unused
    thing on these systems. Or, perhaps something that's not being maintained any more and will never be fixed. I really doubt that either of those things apply. But, if MS is going to stick that warning label up in Windows Update, they really need to give
    more information.

oreveredrist, Oct 4, 2020
  3. "GameInput Redistributable" -- What is it, what's using it, how to get rid of it?

Since sometime before 02 June 2020, two of our three computers have been showing the following under Windows Update:

"Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004

The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn’t quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you’ll see the update available on this page. There’s nothing you need to do at this time."

and it points to the following page:

Windows 10, version 2004 and Windows Server, version 2004 - Windows Release Information

The only possible blocker for us on tha page is the GameInput Redistributable one. Checking Windows 10's Reliability Monitor, I see that GameInput Redistributable has been successfully reconfiguring upon every boot. So that appears to be the issue. Apparently,
    Microsoft is the owner of that software. But, does anyone know what it does, what's using it, and how to get rid of it?

I'd seen comments that the Xbox stuff in Windows 10 used it. So, I uninstalled all of that that I could (Windows 10 won't let me uninstall Xbox Gamebar) and also uninstalled GameInput Redistributable. Upon rebooting, Windows promptly re-installed the Redistributable.
    Just below the Redistributable, there's Microsoft's "Gaming Services" app. But, Windows won't let me uninstall that.

To see if some kind of hardware wanted the Redistributable, I went to Device Manager and told it to show hidden devices. I couldn't find either my Xbox controller or Steam controller there, so I guess I hadn't even tried them out on this install of Windows.
    So, I plugged them in, installed them, checked for updates, uninstalled them and re-uninstalled the Redistributable. Windows still re-installed the Redistributable upon reboot.

The only other gaming stuff on the computers is Steam. So, I turned off its autostart option, shut it down, re-re-uninstalled the Redistributable and rebooted. Even with Steam not starting, Windows reinstalled the Redistributable.

I'm at a loss. What else could be demanding the presence of this GameInput Redistributable and forcing its re-installation? Neither of these two computers has anything special installed. But, I can't imagine the issue is with a standard, pre-installed
    Windows app or with something extremely common like game controllers or Steam (the internet would be flooded with the issue by now and there's not much out there (and nothing at all helpful)).

4. How to get rid of GameInput Redistributable permanently?

"GameInput Redistributable" -- What is it, what's using it, how to get rid of it?

From the Windows status document I referenced in my OP, it looks like they've resolved the GameInput Redistributable thing. And, the update is now available to me in Windows Update.

Thema:

How to get rid of GameInput Redistributable permanently?

1. How to get rid of GameInput Redistributable permanently? - Similar Threads - rid GameInput Redistributable

2. How to PERMANENTLY get rid of ms gameinput AND gaming service?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to PERMANENTLY get rid of ms gameinput AND gaming service?: I don't want to have it on my computer AT ALL, not a single bit of this malware. Ever.I have tried ALL online available "solutions" but this virus reinstalls itself in a few days.I don't want to have it on MY PCHow can I get rid of it forever, or do I have to get a lawyer and...
  3. How to PERMANENTLY get rid of ms gameinput AND gaming service?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to PERMANENTLY get rid of ms gameinput AND gaming service?: I don't want to have it on my computer AT ALL, not a single bit of this malware. Ever.I have tried ALL online available "solutions" but this virus reinstalls itself in a few days.I don't want to have it on MY PCHow can I get rid of it forever, or do I have to get a lawyer and...
  4. How to disable Microsoft Gameinput permanently?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable Microsoft Gameinput permanently?: I've already made a post about my experience with the software but basically this software is constantly crashing my computer, it will be at any random time. Straight to BSOD then restarts on its own, sometimes it will even BSOD in the middle of restarting. I need to disable...
  5. How to disable Microsoft Gameinput permanently?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to disable Microsoft Gameinput permanently?: I've already made a post about my experience with the software but basically this software is constantly crashing my computer, it will be at any random time. Straight to BSOD then restarts on its own, sometimes it will even BSOD in the middle of restarting. I need to disable...
  6. How to disable Microsoft Gameinput permanently?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Laptop Freezes because GameInput Redistributable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Freezes because GameInput Redistributable: My quite brand new Asus Tuf Gaming Laptop seems to have started freezing at 9/20/2020 and from the reliability monitor and some digging around it feels like its being caused by GameInput Redistributable, though i am not 100% sure if its the problem. Any help or tips on...
  8. GameInput redistributable and drawing tablets

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    GameInput redistributable and drawing tablets: Two days ago, my drawing tablet began missing my inputs. My pen would be on the screen, but the cursor would not move, or it would move seconds after I had moved the pen. For reference, I had purchased my tablet 2 years ago and have not had this problem before. After...
  9. How to permenantly remove GameInput Redistributable?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to permenantly remove GameInput Redistributable?: Hi, I've been having this problem where GameInput Redistributable causes my pc to freeze completely and crash everything on the screen freezes, the num lock test doesn't work, ctrl+alt+dlt doesn't work. The only solution I had is to uninstall the feature and my PC works...
  10. "GameInput Redistributable" -- What is it, what's using it, how to get rid of it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "GameInput Redistributable" -- What is it, what's using it, how to get rid of it?: Since sometime before 02 June 2020, two of our three computers have been showing the following under Windows Update: "Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004 The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device...