Windows 10: How to get rid of unwanted taskbar items?

Discus and support How to get rid of unwanted taskbar items? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have found everything but what I am looking for! UNPIN UNWANTED ICONS FROM TASK BAR I just upgraded two systems to Win 10 this weekend but am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by paulckruger, Feb 1, 2016.

1. How to get rid of unwanted taskbar items?

I have found everything but what I am looking for!

UNPIN UNWANTED ICONS FROM TASK BAR
    I just upgraded two systems to Win 10 this weekend but am having trouble finding out how to remove unwanted icons from the task bar.

• Desktop
    • Downloads
    • Pictures
    • Documents
    • Music

These take up space I prefer to use for desired icons. I don't need or want them there but there is no "un-pin" option for those. I have searched and all I can find are results to hide the entire task bar or instructions on how to add to the taskbar but not a word on how to remove those unwanted items.

I would also like to know how I can un-pin one specific drive which is encrypted so it is not available on taskbar...it always wants me to format it! Better to hide from taskbar. Still needs to remain visible to encryption program of course.

I still have time to return to Win 7 if I find Win 10 to be un-user friendly so hope someone has solved some of the problems with the upgrade.

( I already turned off all the privacy leaks MS installed ! *Wink )

Thanks!

:)

paulckruger, Feb 1, 2016

2. Unwanted task bar

The unwanted Task Bar just appeared about 10 days or so ago. To my knowledge I didn't do anything to make it appear. I have no idea how to get rid of it. When I click on it all it looks like is IE and says in the bar "search .ydserp.com. Please help
    me get rid of it! It appears above the Edge taskbar.

Thank you.

dinahmoreau, Feb 1, 2016
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Fresh paint- how to get rid of unwanted colors on pallete

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to refer the link suggested by Luke Thomson on March 7, 2013
    and check.

Fresh Paint - Questions about mixing colors and template packs

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Feb 1, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

How to get rid of unwanted taskbar items?

I guess you mean the start menu not the task bar?

The task bar is at the bottom of the screen all the time and doesn't show any of these things (by default). It looks like this..

How to get rid of unwanted taskbar items? [​IMG]

The start menu is what pops up when you press the *Start key and looks like this...

If you mean the things circuled in red you can chose which by going to start menu and searching for Choose which folders appear on start and turn then on and off.

Let us know if that is what you mean *Smile If you really mean the taskbar then just right click and up-pin them.

lx07, Feb 1, 2016
  5. RolandJS Win User
    I use Windows 7 Pro, do you have a folder kinda sorta like this one:
    Users --> [user] --> AppData --> Roaming --> Microsoft --> Internet Explorer --> Quick Launch --> User Pinned --> Taskbar
    If not, disregard. If so, try to delete the icons from within that folder; then goto taskbar and see if any "shadows" exist. Test with one icon first.

RolandJS, Feb 1, 2016
    paulckruger, Feb 2, 2016
  7. [SOLVED]

Disable "This PC" removes everything. Then you have to go through a process to pin back individual drives. You cannot just "pin" drive to taskbar. You have to first turn that into a "folder".

Here are the steps:

From File Explorer drag or create desktop icons for drives.
    Open properties. Where it has target append "explorer" before the drive letter.

"/C:" Change to "explorer /C:"

Apply, it will change to path C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe\[drive letter]

It will then appear on desktop with a folder icon instead of a drive icon. You can change the icon if you like.

Now the option to pin to taskbar will be available.

Since Windows still has crappy choices for icons I used image editor to create my own icons for each drive letter and changed to use those. GIMP works fine...I made mine 1" square and saved with extension .ico.

paulckruger, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to get rid of unwanted taskbar items?

1. How to get rid of unwanted taskbar items? - Similar Threads - rid unwanted taskbar

2. How to get rid of unwanted app: App:NetFilterSDK for good

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to get rid of unwanted app: App:NetFilterSDK for good: Microsoft Defender on my windows 10 pc Keeps Detecting potentially unwanted app: App:NetFilterSDK. Sometimes it blocks it, but it keeps coming back. Once Microsoft Defender reported that it is still active I've used Microsoft Security scanner. Sometimes Security Scanner Hangs...
  3. How to get rid of unwanted app: App:NetFilterSDK for good

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get rid of unwanted app: App:NetFilterSDK for good: Microsoft Defender on my windows 10 pc Keeps Detecting potentially unwanted app: App:NetFilterSDK. Sometimes it blocks it, but it keeps coming back. Once Microsoft Defender reported that it is still active I've used Microsoft Security scanner. Sometimes Security Scanner Hangs...
  4. How to get rid of unwanted app: App:NetFilterSDK for good

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to get rid of unwanted messages

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get rid of unwanted messages: When I'm working offline, I get these pop up messages "We're having trouble loading your feed". Obviously, whoever 'we' is can't load the feed because I'm not connected to the internet. How do I get rid of these annoying messages when I want to work offline?...
  6. How to get rid of unwanted messages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get rid of unwanted messages: When I'm working offline, I get these pop up messages "We're having trouble loading your feed". Obviously, whoever 'we' is can't load the feed because I'm not connected to the internet. How do I get rid of these annoying messages when I want to work offline?...
  7. How to get rid of unwanted Input Language

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to get rid of unwanted Input Language: In my Language Bar, I have the region in which I live. I do not want this region ISL but I only want to be able to use the keyboard ENG-IS from US region. This last entry has no value for me and actually prevents me from easily toggling between my 2 keyboards.^ Screenshot...
  8. Can't get rid of unwanted synching

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't get rid of unwanted synching: I had an old computer before and been using this new one for exactly a year. Everything was going fine, until today. I boot my new laptop and see my old background and theme of my old PC on my new laptop. I remember having synched for some reason the old pc user to my main...
  9. How to get rid of unwanted languages

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to get rid of unwanted languages: For some reason the keyboard also has the american language installed even though i haven't installed it. <----- The one on the end but I only have English(UK) installed basically, how to get rid of this? Thanks...
  10. How to get rid of "ENG" in the taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get rid of "ENG" in the taskbar: I have languages "English (United Kingdom)" and "English (United states)". I suspect this was so that spelling checkers would accept both "colour" and "color", for instance. But this setup inflicts me with "ENG" in the task bar. It was easy to get rid of this in Windows 7,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unwanted icons on taskbar

2. get ride of unwanted file

3. how to get rid of unwanted link bars from your screen

4. how do i get rid of an unwanted task bar,
  5. how to get rid of items on taskbar,
  6. get rid unwanted taskbar on my laptop,
  7. how to get rid of the taskbar,
  8. unwanted taskbar at top of screen,
  9. Remove unwanted Taskbar items